PDA

View Full Version : middle East to India ETOPS?

picollo
5th Dec 2008, 14:51
Hi all,
Does flying from the ME to the subcontinent fall under ETOPS?

Thanks in advance

barit1
5th Dec 2008, 15:04
Flights DXB-BOM or MCT-BOM are about 165 minutes, so at worst a 90-minute ETOPS would apply.

mutt
5th Dec 2008, 15:12
ETOPS saves about 15 minutes flying time.

Mutt

Brakes on
5th Dec 2008, 17:30
picollo,
ME to India is not ETOPS. Between DXB and BOM for example, you have KHI and AMD, from DXB to South India, there are KHI, AMD, BOM, GOA, TRV etc. and to East India there is a host of Indian airports.
The only ETOPS area is east of India, over the Bay of Bengal and that is only 90 minutes.

picollo
5th Dec 2008, 17:43
Thanks a lot. There are a lot of operators flying 320/ 737 s from the ME to India and was wondering...

Thanks for the replies.

PLTFORLIFE
6th Dec 2008, 03:01
It all depends on what route you plan on flying and if the aircraft is Etops certified. Some airlines in the Gulf prefer to fly the more southerly and direct routes to Trivandrum, calicut, cochin. A short segment of the flight requires them to fly Etops.

Brakes on
7th Dec 2008, 17:45
PLT,
don't really see where that bit requiring ETOPS might be, but then I don't have every routing of every airline flying there.
More important, it's not only the aircraft needing ETOPS certification, which the A320 has and the 737NG presumably also, it's also the airline. The latter can be an expensive and long process, depending to the level of ETOPS you want/need to go to.