PDA

View Full Version : Luton. What is going on?

Buster the Bear
7th Nov 2001, 02:47
So what is going on at Luton?

TBI and easyJet do a deal, but still the Barclays fat cat charge is on every booking from Luton. Call me cynical, but is this their profit margin? Why do they add their landing charge for Luton on each and every ticket? I do not see a Peel, or a BAA landing charge on bookings from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Gatwick and Aberdeen, or a HIAL Inverness charge. Profiteering or what! Does Luton charge the same as the BAA plus the Barclays charge, I doubt it! A 5 quid tax for flying from Luton, but no such charge from Gatwick where utilisation of their fleet will be reduced compared directly to ops out of Luton and the comparable fares are cheaper from Gatwick! Loss leader?

Euroceltic add Liverpool to its phenomenally successful Waterford route. Monarch Crown was talking strongly about a South Portugal destination not so long ago, are there any more routes to add?

JMC allegedly closed their Luton base today, more consolidation expected in the IT market, so where will the IT axe fall at Luton, probably no one actually knows? If bookings do not pick up by the New Year, could the charter companies face the plight of the scheduled airlines? The media says that bookings for charter holidays are down by 50% year on year. Consolidation could therefore be inevitable. Fewer holidays and higher prices?

EGGW
7th Nov 2001, 03:17
Monarch are adding FAO from LTN and MAN from next March, details on the Monarch websiteSpotty M Website (http://www.fly-crown.com) Look for the press releases.

MEVERTSGB
7th Nov 2001, 04:03
Hi Bear

Seems EZY haven't changed their website yet. The charge should perhaps be renamed the Stelios fat c**t charge. :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Few Cloudy
7th Nov 2001, 11:06
It could be, that the deal is not to increase the charge for a long time. This would explain the continued passing on.

Orangewing
7th Nov 2001, 13:20
Obviously still bitter that you can't get into easyJet eh, charterguy?

BOEINGBOY1
7th Nov 2001, 13:22
stellios is the only fat cat round here. hey if he don't like it go elsewhere - oh sorry no where to go!

MEVERTSGB
7th Nov 2001, 20:51
Orangewing - what makes you think that I am looking for a job, with EZY or any airline ?
I spend my income on flying ... ;)

Budgie69
7th Nov 2001, 23:13
Buster - Almost every major airport charges both a weight related landing fee, plus a capita charge. If the airport company provides loaders, handling charges per movement are often headcount based.

Buster the Bear
8th Nov 2001, 01:15
Budgie69 I totally agree, but if I book via the net, a Go, Buzz or Ryanair flight from Bristol, Belfast (City or Aldergrove), Derry, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, or Newcastle, I do not get charged a ‘fat cat’ fee!

Bears can’t understand this.

No mention of Faro on the Luton Bairport web site yet, so how are my cuddly friends supposed to know it is happening?

Gypsy
8th Nov 2001, 02:03
Charterguy - just as well you're not looking for a job because with the arrogant and rude nature you display on these pages you could find it difficult.

Have you checked in for that CRM course yet?

BOEINGBOY1
8th Nov 2001, 11:16
buster,
check out the spotty m web site for scheduled faro flights. think they start march 2002.

Buster the Bear
8th Nov 2001, 14:22
No sign of a 'fat cat' charge on the www.fly-crown.co.uk (http://www.fly-crown.co.uk) web site.

squeaker
9th Nov 2001, 13:21
The so-called "fat cat" charge that easyjet pass on to customers is the Passenger Service Charge that all airlines have been cashing in on. Basically, the government decided that the PSC (which has always been included in the ticket price) had to be shown separately on the ticket. easyjet and everyone else have taken the opportunity to lump it on ABOVE the ticket price and therefore make a few extra quid per sector.
Stelios is such an ace at publicity, he has managed to convince people that he is "on their side" whilst charging them more for their tickets. Clever bloke!