PDA

View Full Version : How big is a CTAF in Australia?

Colin Oskopi
2nd Dec 2008, 22:53
Can any one tell me how big a CTAF and CTAF(R) is in Australia?

I cannot seem to find out with out getting hold of the AIP itself.

Colin.

ZOOKER
2nd Dec 2008, 23:06
What's a CTAF?
What's a CTAF(R)?
Something meteorological?

BMW-Z4
3rd Dec 2008, 19:05
CTAF is a radio procedure not a designated bit of airspace

Green on, Go!
4th Dec 2008, 09:08
If Airservices Australia keep managing their staff the way they do, this will be the size of your average CTAF. :ok:

http://file043b.bebo.com/2/large/2008/01/25/00/4525920200a6707299238l.jpg

(Image stolen from a post by Jabawocky in D&G)

Peter Fanelli
4th Dec 2008, 14:16
CTAF is a radio procedure not a designated bit of airspace

CTAF is a radio frequency not a procedure, there are special procedures to be followed where a CTAF is in use.

Yes I'm a pedantic prick aren't I. :E

Knackers
4th Dec 2008, 19:23
Col,

AIP GEN 1.4-6 para 4.2: pilots should monitor/b'cast on the CTAF by 10NM of the ad. Higher performance acft or at busier ad's, pilots should switch over earlier. Overflying acft should remain clear of the circuit area and commonly used arriving and departure routes.

RobertK
5th Dec 2008, 05:09
To describe it in rather plain language:
Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF), is the name given to the VHF radio frequency used for air-to-air communication at U.S., Canadian and Australian non-towered airports. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTAF)
(Stolen from Wikipedia)
:)

Regards,

Robert

bigsis
12th Dec 2008, 09:54
The problem with the CTAF now is that aircraft are supposed to broadcast if they think their operations will impact on the traffic operating into/out of the aerodrome. Frequently transitting aircraft don't broadcast and guess what... their operations did impact on other aircarft operations. Also you can have several differnt CTAF frequencies within a small area i.e 4 or 5 within 15/20 miles. In CTAF (R) the R I belive means that you have to have a radio to operate there.