PDA

View Full Version : Tower visits at London airports

vancouv
26th Nov 2008, 11:06
Now that Heathrow has gone airside, is it possible to visit the tower at any of the other London airports? I know LGW is off limits, but how about Luton or Stansted?

iranair777
27th Nov 2008, 09:22
never knew heathrow did tower vists! Would love to go to one!

pewpewpew
27th Nov 2008, 16:39
I went on a visit to LGW before joining NATS. They were fine with it. It is airside though and in the middle of an apron so you have to be taken there.

If you are thinking about an ATC career than a visit should be ok.

classicwings
27th Nov 2008, 20:18
I went on a visit to the old Heathrow VCR when I was applying to join NATS. I was lucky in that I knew somebody who worked as a controller there and that was more than 3 years ago so I don't know how easy it is to get a visit there now, but if you say you are applying to be an ATCO with NATS, I can't see it being a problem.;)

holdandmaintain
29th Nov 2008, 00:16
Vancouv

I was lucky enough to go to the old Heathrow VCR during my application, but I also asked to visit Gatwick and they were very accommodating. Depends on what you want to see really, here at Easyland (Luton) we are landside, which helps to an extent.

PM me or if you want to go elsewhere, get in touch with the relevant tower(s), they are usually happy to help.

Good luck:ok:

classicwings
29th Nov 2008, 07:47
here at Easyland (Luton)
So what do they call Stansted then, 'Ryanpark'??:}:}

chevvron
29th Nov 2008, 10:38
When I visited Luton Tower several years ago, I had to phone the radar controller and ask him to call the tower to get someone to come down and open the gate for me. Has that intercom been fixed yet?

classicwings
30th Nov 2008, 17:23
Dont think there are any radar controllers at Luton Airport anymore;)

holdandmaintain
1st Dec 2008, 10:48
So what do they call Stansted then, 'Ryanpark'??http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gifhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

I thought it was O'Leary Land - I may be wrong....:ugh:

Chevvron - Intercom works, entry gate on the other hand is a law unto itself...

so much time.......:E

Malaysian28
15th Jun 2009, 17:33
I managed to Visit the top of the New Control Tower at Heathrow after about 3 quarters of an hour undergoing security clearance.
There was Heavy Snowfall and not much could been seen but looking down on American 777's and Virgin A340's was super.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Jun 2009, 17:52
<<So what do they call Stansted then,>>

Emmerdale Farm