PDA

View Full Version : Airways Joining Clearances and RLCE

stopbar
25th Nov 2008, 12:06
Hi

Can anyone remember where to find the national instruction regarding issueing of an airways clearance which forbad the use of RLCE or similar terms due to the likely hood of level confusion. I believe it was an ATSIN or similar but can find no trace despite extensive looking. Probably staring me in the face just can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance for the help.

Stopbar :):):)

landedoutagain
25th Nov 2008, 12:23
ATSIN 111 I believe, titled, Use of obsolete RTF phraseology and multiple level instructions in Dep Clearances.

Altho have just had a look and it was withdrawn in July!

I remember something about aircraft working approach units outside CAS, and climbing to filed levels either before joining (and above cleared level to join) or as soon as they contacted an area unit...

Hope this helps!

LOA

ps. actually, i think that atsin might have referred to 'climb when instructed by radar' but its very similar! Which makes more sense with an a/c speaking to a radar unit before a 'control' unit..

Jumbo Driver
25th Nov 2008, 17:39
landedoutagain is quite correct, reference to these phrases was made most recently in ATSIN 111, which remained in force until 31 July 2008. The text is reproduced below ...

ATSIN Number 111 - Issued 27 July 2007

USE OF OBSOLETE RTF PHRASEOLOGY AND MULTIPLE LEVEL INSTRUCTIONS IN DEPARTURE CLEARANCES

1 Introduction

1.1 Feedback from aircraft operators and Air Traffic Standards Department (ATSD) Regional Inspectors suggests that departure clearances are still being issued by controllers at some units which include a second level instruction in the form “climb when instructed by radar Flight Level (xxx)” or “request level change en route Flight Level (xxx)”.

1.2 These phrases are known to be potentially confusing, have been a contributory factor in level busts and have, therefore, been withdrawn from CAP 413 and MATS Part 1 (Attachment to Appendix E). The specific meanings that these phrases had in the context of radio failure procedures no longer apply and they no longer form part of approved phraseology.

2 Purpose

2.1 The purpose of this ATSIN is to draw the attention of air traffic controllers to the potential adverse consequences of the use of this obsolete phraseology in departure clearances.

3 Scope

3.1 This ATSIN is addressed to the managers of ATC units and training establishments for dissemination to all air traffic controllers and trainee air traffic controllers.

4 Procedure

4.1 Where a departure clearance, passed by a controller on the RTF, includes a level, only a single level shall be given as part of that clearance. Specifically, the obsolete terms “climb when instructed by radar” and “request level change en-route” are not to be used.

5 Queries

5.1 Any queries or further guidance required on the content of this ATSIN should be addressed to:

ATS Enquiries
Air Traffic Standards Department
CAA Safety Regulation Group
2W Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex RH6 0YR
E-mail: [email protected]

5.2 Any queries relating to the availability of this ATSIN should be addressed to:
ATS Documents
Air Traffic Standards Department
CAA Safety Regulation Group
2W Aviation House
Gatwick Airport South
West Sussex RH6 0YR
E-mail: [email protected]

6 Cancellation

6.1 This ATSIN will remain in force until 31 July 2008.

Hope this helps ...

JD
:)

P.S. These two phrases were removed from the List of Standard Phrases in the Attachment to Appendix E of CAP 493 (MATS Part 1, 3rd edn), as part of amendment 74 on 5 July 2007. Despite this and ATSIN 111, RLCE still appears in examples of phraseology in the latest (17th) edition of CAP413 Radiotelephony Manual, issued on 21 July 2008.

P.P.S. I really must get out more ... :8