PDA

View Full Version : Living near Bournemouth/Swanwick

littlehobo75
25th Nov 2008, 10:40
Hi,

Can anyone recommend any reasonable areas (both in price and living standards) in Bournemouth or Poole? I keep getting Hamworthy and Parkstone on the property search, but am guessing they are less salubrious areas? Just want to earmark some areas before we come down to visit estate agents!

Cheers

Comms Boy
25th Nov 2008, 17:45
Bmth - Swanwick encompasses a big area,
Lots of nice areas, and a selection of places which are frankly not so nice.
If you intend to commute to Swanwick, but still want to be close to Bmth then i would recommend Ringwood, Ferndown. (Approx 20mins to Bmth and Salisbury with good access to A31, Swanwick is about 40mins)
Most of Poole is nice, but commuting to Swanwick would take 1.15hr and possibly a lot longer.

Would avoid Turlin Moor in Hamworthy, Tricketts Cross near Ferndown, Townsend estate, West Howe both north Bmth and parts of Boscombe.
Regards
P

The Many Tentacles
25th Nov 2008, 18:50
When I was at the college, Mrs Tentacles and my good self lived in Highcliffe. A large village near Christchurch - it's about 15 mins from the college and 45 mins from Swanwick if you get through the college and get posted there. Full of old people and very quiet.

We moved to Southampton after I started at Swanwick as it was easier for both of us.

There's a pretty active car share from anywhere in that direction anyway on all the watches, I think, if that's concerning you

monkeyboy21
28th Nov 2008, 15:09
comms boy has got it it spot on pretty much. Stick with those. Also Boscombe between High street and the new pier development is very nice! The commute from Bournemouth to Swanick is only about 40 mins on a good day!

Sheps
10th Nov 2011, 03:09
Hello,
Just thought I'd bump an old post rather than start a new one!

Would anyone have any current advice on good (and poor) locations to live that are within a reasonable distance of Swanwick please?

I'm thinking of the rental market, but advice on areas generally would be appreciated before I read down for a look myself!

Many thanks
Sheps

Tigersaw
10th Nov 2011, 14:14
There are many exceptions to the rule, but the advice I was given when I moved that way was to stay north of the M27

Ninja Controller
10th Nov 2011, 14:54
Winchester is a popular haunt for Swanwick staff however if you want something closer, Bursledon, Warsash, Netley and that general area isn't too bad.

Spamcan defender
10th Nov 2011, 16:30
Whiteleys a good bet. VERY handy to get to both Swanwick AND CTC(college).

Missus and I are debating whether to rent our spare room out to students or not....

IMHO, winchester is a bit of a dead pony TBH. Its fine for those who crave the 'i live in Winchester' line when asked where they stay!!!! We looked there when we were relocating from West Drayton but nothing about it floated the old boat...other than the xmas market LOL...

You dont mention in what capacity your looking for accomodation i.e. student, engineer, etc...as a student ( sorry...trainee). You really dont need the ballache of the traffic nightmare that is the M27. Plus, i understand that the trainees are beingstrongly 'encouraged' not to drive to CTC. Living in Whiteley solves the problem as its about a 15min walk or 5min cycle.

Spamcan

10 DME ARC
10th Nov 2011, 19:22
I know a new housing estate, bit of a commute mind you!! Just north of Heathrow!! Well lots of people did it the other way!!!
:O

Sheps
10th Nov 2011, 20:49
Thanks all, very useful advice...

I'm asking as a new student / trainee, and of course with the potential to be staying in the area beyond that. I'd be moving with my partner too.

Anyway, great advice as I say, and we're looking forward to getting down there for a recce.
Thanks again all!

ZOOKER
13th Nov 2011, 17:45
Slightly side-tracking on this discussion, but a geographically-related question :-
When CATC at Hurn closed, and the staff 're-located' up the road to CTC, were they offered any financial assistance to move their homes nearer to their new workplace?

Talkdownman
13th Nov 2011, 18:15
When CATC at Hurn closed, and the staff 're-located' up the road to CTC, were they offered any financial assistance to move their homes nearer to their new workplace?
.....or did nats seize the opportunity again to save money and wilfully and compulsorily relocate staff at the individual's own expense (as in the Swanwick move for 'Fleet Man', 'Hartley Wintney Man' or 'Hook Man'....) ?

Me Me Me Me
15th Nov 2011, 10:33
Originally Posted by ZOOKER

Financial assistance - yes. To move home - not necessarily.

twentypoint4
16th Nov 2011, 00:09
I'm gonna have to disagree with the Winchester hater. Last time I checked this "dead pony" has lovely pubs, good train connection to London, good shops, is close to Swanwick/CTC (30 mins), surrounded in countryside for walks/bike rides etc etc etc.
You may also notice that the student population in Winchester seems to be at least 75% female...
Parking is a bit of a ball-ache though.
I do feel for you lot though not having Bournemouth to enjoy anymore. It was the perfect town to fulfill the work/play balance.

Crazy Voyager
5th Jan 2012, 22:17
Bumping this thread up again.

Just wanted to hear if anyone know how's it been going for the trainees that have started at the new college? As I've understood it there were a few B&Bs that were very popular with the college students in Bournemouth, any signs of something similar emerging close to the CTC/New College?

whitelighter
5th Jan 2012, 22:26
Im not sure 'popular' is the right word.

Cheap enough to be viable is closer to the mark.
Swanwick/Whitely is a much different area - Boscombe has loads of B&Bs because it is close to the sea front with a beach for one, and offers a cheaper alternative to Bournemouth for two.

Swanwick is mainly residential, without an existing large B&B sector.
I suspect until some enterprising (Swanwick ATCOs with a bit of spare investment cash?) set something up you are going to be looking at finding a room as a lodger in a family home or setting up a house share with your fellow college inmates.

Or buy a boat and live in the marina....

Crazy Voyager
5th Jan 2012, 23:22
I guess they could be popular for various reaons, in this case being cheap (which is good enough for me anyway):}

Well if anyone working at Swanwick has an extra room to rent to a student most likely starting in August I'm intrested :ok: