PDA

View Full Version : NATS - Pre Bournemouth College Preparation

gatterz
23rd Nov 2008, 16:18
Hi I'm expecting to start at college down in Bournemouth in April 09, and to maximise my chances of success there are a few things I've considered doing beforehand;

1. Where is it possible to get hold of a copy of MATS part 1? From what I understand this is pretty much an ATCO's bible.

2. Is it worth messing around on VATSIM to familiarise yourself with radiotelephony/systems or would the informality and bad habits etc have a detrimental effect?

Also is anyone aware of the most common reasons for failure?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I hope these questions haven't already been answered!

General_Kirby
23rd Nov 2008, 16:25
They have been answered. Just search for manual of air traffic services on google and it will be the first or second result. You download a pdf file. Have a look through the general section, dont worry about anything in there to much. It wont make sense outside the lesson/simulator environment. Stay away from VATSIM or anything like that, there were two vatsim fans on my course, both failed. In my experience you fail if you simply dont have the dedication and motivation. Obviously ability but other than that you get out what you put in. Work hard everyday and most nights and then get pissed as a fart on friday night. Keep your head down in college, dont get known for the wrong reasons, smile and nod when you get cross instruction or disagree with an instructor. Good luck.

Gonzo
23rd Nov 2008, 16:37
gatterz,

How much aviation knowledge/experience do you have?

gatterz
23rd Nov 2008, 17:31
Thanks Kirby, that's exactly what I wanted and expected to hear.

Gonzo, I have no aviation experience but a fairly decent understanding. It's just that I'd rather read official documents than popular non-fiction.

Gonzo
23rd Nov 2008, 17:38
By all means have a look at CAP493 (MATS Part 1), but I would caution you about trying to 'learn it'. Without the help of practical experience (either already gained, or at the college in the sim and classroom) it would probably confuse and make things worse!

If you'd like to get a head start, consider the Trevor Thom PPL guides, or the AFE PPL guides. Basic Met, principles of flight, Nav all help in your training.

Standard Noise
24th Nov 2008, 08:38
1- Don't be so flipping daft. Many of us went into the job with no knowledge of the blue book (pre-internet days) and we got through OK.

2 - Don't be so flipping daft. VATSIM is to Air Traffic as Grand Theft Auto is to driving lessons. It's nowt more than a game. I'll say no more before I get attacked by the massed ranks of the VATgamers.

Most common reason for failure is not putting enough effort in. Work hard and you should be OK. Don't fanny around, it's only a few months out of your life before going on to an operational unit.

That said, good luck with it all, despite the moaning oft seen here, the majority of us actually enjoy the job.

General_Kirby
24th Nov 2008, 10:43
"1- Don't be so flipping daft. Many of us went into the job with no knowledge of the blue book (pre-internet days) and we got through OK."

Very true, but should you not use every tool to your advantage? Knowledge is power after all...And especially now, unlike the old days where courses lasted millenia, you now have 6-9 months to pass. PPL books are a good idea, anything that will make learning so much new material slightly easier.

Standard Noise
24th Nov 2008, 22:09
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. An understanding of the subject matter is however, entirely different and would be more useful. Mind you, it's difficult to gain that understanding from reading a book without putting it into practice.

Imperator1300
28th Nov 2008, 07:39
I would suggest starting to understand the 'language' of the business. Consider a couple of visits to ATC units (not necessarily the biggest ones) and some PPL flying lessons (this is what I did). The PPL books mentioned above are also a good idea.

At the end of the day what you really need is enthusiasm be prepared to work hard from day 1 and remain motivated, even when it gets tough.

Most of the stuff they'll teach you is in itself simple; there's just an awful lot of it delivered over a short period of time!

Good Luck.

Quintilian
29th Nov 2008, 20:22
I'm personally undergoing training now at Entry Point North in Sweden.

I would advice you to read Doc. 4444 (or the GB-equivalent), and familiarize yourself with the 50-100 most common aircraft (and their main specs such as max operational FL, cruise-speed)

We use 4444 quite a lot here in Sweden, or atleast we are supposed to be quite familiar with it ... For my part it would have been nice to be able to put an effort in a couple of months before starting the course.

Send me a PM if you'd like a copy of 4444 or our homemade "dummies guide to ATC".

Cheers
TH

Sopwith Snipe
4th Dec 2008, 18:38
The other comments are right when they say you need to work hard - the college is far harder work and far more stressful than university. However working hard will only get you so far.

People also fail due to lack of ability, or ability to pass exams as many trainees find exams far more stressful than live traffic.

Others fail because they give up and get training fatigue, either from the grind of constant training for years or after they've had their confidence beaten out of them by instructors.

You need a thick skin and to keep your head down. The majority of instructors on most sectors and watches do want most trainees to pass but you only need a couple of instructors take a dislike to you or decide you won't pass, and they can make life very difficult for you.

As G_K said you'll have to put up with cross-instruction - where instructor A lays into you for doing what instructor B told you to do the session before (and vice versa). Eventually you'll learn what style of controlling each instructor requires and they'll stop swearing at you.

Remember the job's far easier and less stressful once you've qualified and don't have someone breathing down your neck waiting to scream abuse at you for doing something differently to how they'd do it.

Don't complain (about cross-instruction, incomplete or dangerous handovers, bullying or sexism/harassment), try to fit in, work hard, don't give up and with luck you'll be ok.

mats3
6th Dec 2008, 09:03
Do not bother with Doc 4444 as the UK has so many differences that you will only confuse yourself. MATS 1 I would leave until you get to the college.

Get yourself some background knowledge in met, nav and navids but don't worry about the nitty gritty of the subjects yet.

You could learn the 50 aircraft types you will need to know. The details required are the ICAO designators, UK wake vortex category, number and type of engines, ceiling and speed.

Send me a pm and I'll happily supply you with the current list of aircraft and a couple of useful websites.

Fletchers Left Boot
6th Dec 2008, 16:27
That's brilliant :ok:

ZOOKER
6th Dec 2008, 19:54
Don't forget to look at a UK airways map. :ok:

6th Dec 2008, 20:11
Don't forget to look at a UK airways map

why? you don't need to know anything about the airways till you get to a unit and even then you only need to know your sector and some of the surrounding airways. Whats the point of looking at pointless info that will be useless at the college.

Mats3 has good points. don't overburden yourself with stuff that you have no need to know untill you get there and they tell you what to learn

Ivor_Novello
6th Dec 2008, 20:37
What is an airway ? :confused:

Cuddles
6th Dec 2008, 21:29
Go in with a fairly empty, but open mind.

the Thom books are a good start if you really want to get up to speed with some stuff.

stevoinspain
2nd Jan 2009, 14:03
hi have just come across this site, and dont know yet if i am getting my qustions mixed up with the ones that have already been asked?
never the less i have a few questions that i hope some of you out there can answer for me.
i am 34 yes 34 and i am looking at becoming an atc as a complete carreer change.
my main qustion is really about the college,once you have finished there do you go straight to your on site training or is there normally a gap between one finishing and starting again?
if this is the case are you still paid by NATS?
also what are the hours at the college do you finish early on a friday?

thanks for any constructive answers and comments

cheers:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Jan 2009, 15:58
Stevo.. So do we take it that you have been accepted for the College? A complete career change at age 34 might prove very hard work indeed so I wish you well.

I'm just a little concerned that you are worrying about getting away early on Fridays! If you are going to make a success of it, worrying about early goes should not be forefront in your mind.

Lastly, remember when you write exams that sentences begin with Capital letters and your written grammar could do with sorting out!

stevoinspain
2nd Jan 2009, 16:25
Thanks for your reply.
I didn’t realize that all messages are scrutinized by an English professor, but will take your advice and will use capital letters when I can be bothered to reach across to the "shift" key.
The reason for asking for the hours of the college was mainly because I will be living in Cornwall where my wife and 4 children will be living, so as you can imagine the need to get away early on a Friday is fairly important to me, and being 34 my preference to see my family outweighs the need for some of the students to get on a session all weekend!!!
If you have any further "helpful" advice I would much appreciate it.

Thanks

Vortex Issues
2nd Jan 2009, 16:38
You should also be aware that you will, if successful, be on a mobile contract which means you could be posted anywhere in the country from Aberdeen down to Southampton. You can give a preference but you will be sent where the business needs you .... good luck

BigDaddyBoxMeal
2nd Jan 2009, 16:39
Stevo

don't worry too much about the Grammar Police. Each to their own.
Be prepared, if you join this company, to work to pay HD's and other senators' pension schemes, whilst you won't be having one !!! ;)

I have PMed you with the details concering college hours etc. Trying to avoid not just the Grammar, but also the Attitude Police !!!

Big Daddy

stevoinspain
2nd Jan 2009, 16:44
thanks and look no capital letters or commas or full stops!!!
still working my round this forum malarky is there an easy way of going straight to this forum rather than wait for an email to say someone has replied??
will try and find the times that u sent but think someone else also very helpful as told them also
thanks anyway
who needs grammer?!?!?!!?!?!?!:D

BigDaddyBoxMeal
2nd Jan 2009, 16:56
You're taking it a bit too far now. Behave !

Or they might hire you directly as management !

Gonzo
2nd Jan 2009, 20:04
who needs grammer?!?!?!!?!?!?!:D

Someone who would want as many helpful replies as possible.

As for a gap in training after the college course finishes, it really depends on where one is posted. Some of the larger units might have a pause in actual ATCO training, where one is given background 'familiarisation' before a suitable simulation course begins.

Gingerbread Man
2nd Jan 2009, 22:55
Lastly, remember when you write exams that sentences begin with Capital letters and your written grammar could do with sorting out!

Just circles required these days for the written exams. Having said that I do think writing properly makes for a more readable post, so I won't discourage it. Best of luck when you get to Hurn O/P.

Ginger ;)

stevoinspain
4th Jan 2009, 20:44
Hello me again, could someone tell me what the questions are based on for the stage 1 test? For example are they on , observation? general knowledge? and from the pdf papers that you can download
Also are the multiple choice?
Thanks in advance for the comments this will recieve!!!!!

Stevo

windneckin
4th Jan 2009, 23:44
stevoinspain,

Have you looked at the sticky thread below???

http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/265195-nats-interview-process.html

You will find the answers there.