PDA

View Full Version : ATCO positions Durham Tees??? though ASTAC courses. Info please???

bigdaisy
20th Nov 2008, 09:59
Hello all,
I'm a stranger to the world of air traffic and I'm very keen following this route of employment. I am currently investigating NATS but would like to find out more about the possibility working at one of the privately owned airports like Durham Tees for example (for geographical and livestyle reasons!). From what i understand I must undertake an ASTAC course at Gloucester (or is it Rudloe?). I appreciate this is self funding situation as it would not be an 'in house' position and this wouldn't be a problem however I am hoping someone out there can give me a bit more of an insight of what my best plan of action would be?
Hope you can help.....?

classicwings
20th Nov 2008, 11:23
Bigdaisy

Aswell as ASTAC Gloucester (Rudloe College) there is also BAe Cwmbran in Wales which offer similar privately funded ATC courses. The rates I have been looking into for a Basic ATC Couse, ADI Rating and accommodation inclusive at BAe Cwmbran totals at around the 25K mark.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

Previous theoretical and practical experience such as having an Air Ground Radio /FISO licence I would say is highly recommended before even considering this route if you are a stranger to ATC!

Hope this helps.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

niknak
20th Nov 2008, 13:36
If you don't get into NATS, try the Eurocontrol training scheme.

If that doesn't work, try and get a job as an Air Traffic Control Assistant at a regional non NATS airport.
Despite the recession, most regional airports still have training schemes to train their own atcos but you'll have to put in a couple of years or so to get the experience and knowledge required.

Think very, very carefully before self funding (around £40k+ depending on what you want to do course wise).
ASTAC or Cwmbran are both very good at what they do and will offer you a pre course assessment to see if you stand a chance of getting through the course, but you should be aware that if you fail to make the grade at any stage, you'll be invited to leave with no ATCO licence, no refund and no job.

Getting the courses via an existing employer is by far the better option and if you should bomb out at any time, there's a reasonable chance that you will be recoursed at a later date.

There is always the military option, but if you join up you are an officer first and atco second and as things stand, you cannot convert your military licence into a CAA one when you leave.

classicwings
20th Nov 2008, 14:30
Niknak,

As mentioned, I have reasearched into the possibility that one can self fund themselves privately to get an Aerodrome ticket from either ASTAC or BAe Cwmbran for around £25K with the hope that a unit would be willing to take you on and train you up. I have been told from my sources that regional ATC units should be more than interested in taking somebody on provided one approaches them armed with a student ATCO licence.:confused: Oh yes and one needs to also bear in mind that you need a CAA Class 1 Medical before even considering one of these courses else it could be a SERIOUS waste of money...........:uhoh::uhoh:

Futhermore, from my own experience, I have found the process of trying to join Regional ATC units as an ATSA with a view to progressing on to becoming trained up as an ATCO, a rather challenging one. I am led to believe units receive a large number of potential employees for often just 1 or maybe 2 assistant positions at the very most and I also cannot discount from my thoughts the fact that ATC units look to employ assistants from within the airport.