PDA

View Full Version : Non-WGS84 Airports

sixfeetabove
19th Nov 2008, 22:17
Hi there,

Does anybody know where to find information about Non-WGS84 airports. A list would be ideal..

Thank you

TCAS FAN
19th Nov 2008, 22:49
Depends on which country you are looking at. For example the UK AIP lists only licensed aerodromes which are required to have WGS84 data published. Pending this an asterisk is added to coordinates notified in the AIP to indicate that they have been mathmatically converted from previously notified lat/long.

It is hoped, but not expected, that each ICAO Contracting State would specify in their AIP whether or not coordinates are WGS84 compliant. They have an obligation under the ICAO Convention (Article 38) to notify any Differences from ICAO Standards, which I believe that WGS84 now is. Unfortunately many "developing countries" are not pro-active with meeting this obligation.

I believe that one or more airports in the wealthy United Arab Emirates have only recently had a WGS84 survey completed. Haven't seen a recent copy of their AIP to see what is mentioned about WGS84 compliance.

If you are a surveyor looking for WGS84 business, PM me, I may be able to point you in the direction of some non compliant Contracting States. However caution is advised, if they cannot afford WGS84 connection, they probably cannot afford to pay you for it!

galaxy flyer
20th Nov 2008, 00:38
Here's a Jepp listing of all WGS-84 compliant countries..Here (http://www.jeppesen.com/company/publications/wgs-84.jsp)

sixfeetabove
20th Nov 2008, 10:26
Hi TCAS, hi Galaxy,

Thank you for your answers! I am not a surveyor but an ordinary pilot flying a bizjet in the eastern part of Europe and Russia.

I am interested on this subject because there are aircraft limitations on non-wgs84 airport operations.

As far as I know the bigger airports in the non-wgs84 countries comply to wgs84, while the smaller ones do not.

If this would be the case I would be extremely helpful to have those airports listed on a piece of paper, always handy...

TCAS FAN
20th Nov 2008, 21:32
Hi Sixfeetabove

Now I know that its about remaining so, a tip. When ever you are tasked with going into potential non WGS84 territory, go onto Google Earth, put in the alleged coordinates of the Aerodrome Reference Point and see what appears. If its not a runway you have your answer. Even better, insist that you OPS Control do it before you depart and provide the required proof.

I'm about to bow out after about 15 metres AGL for the past 40 years, but do have a business interest in promoting safety. If you come up against a persistant problem airport, PM me and I'll put my friendly WGS84 surveyor onto it.

galaxy flyer
21st Nov 2008, 01:27
If in doubt-select 'green' data (i.e. raw data) and do NOT fly a FMS-based approaches. Also, monitor raw data when leaving cruise altitude.

GF

sixfeetabove
21st Nov 2008, 08:57
Thank you guys!