PDA

View Full Version : Taxiway Nomenclature

aces low
19th Nov 2008, 16:19
As a commercial pilot, it would be nice to understand the logic or tradition that is used for naming taxiways and holding points. Is there an ICAO publication or website that would give an insight as to how taxiways/holds etc are named?

I expect that many countries/airports might deviate from the standard, but it would be nice to know how the nomenclature might be in the ideal world? Or is it an ATC secret?

Thanks

NABLAG
19th Nov 2008, 17:49
Try ICAO Annex 14.

Brian81
19th Nov 2008, 21:50
I haven't read the ICAO document above, but I'm pretty sure its mentioned in the UK Aerodrome Licensing Manual.

From memory, I seem to recall taxiways are labelled from A to Z from one end of the runway to the other, a parallel taxiway taking on the letter of the first intersection, with the numbers starting at 1 for closest to the runway, working backwards.

I also seem to recall that working backwards toward the runway (ie, apron taxilanes, etc) they start Z - A.

Could be all different nowadays though - and that said; from the airfields I know a bit about - the guidance isn't followed.

Something along the lines of "if it's not broke, don't fix it" I reckon.

:ok:

britkit
22nd Nov 2008, 19:26
This is straitght from CAP168 -Licensing of Aerodromes, which can be downloaded from the CAA's website - Civil Aviation Authority Home Page (http://www.caa.co.uk)

Chapter 7 - Aerodrome Signals, Signs and Markings

3.2.1.2 All in-use taxiways should be designated by a letter of the alphabet – Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc. – however, the letters Oscar, India and X-ray are not used. As far as possible the allocation of designation letters should follow a logical pattern eliminating the possibility for confusion. Where there are more taxiways than letters of the alphabet, double letters should be used to designate short taxiway stubs between a runway and parallel taxiway or between a taxiway and adjacent apron.

As for how holds are named/numbered:

"3.1.3.4 Where a runway is served by more than one Runway Taxi-Holding Position located on the same taxiway, the Runway Taxi-Holding Positions should be numbered in a logical manner." ...

i.e. normally from West to East/North to South along the same taxiway etc...

Hope that helps!

Britkit

Musket90
22nd Nov 2008, 20:07
Sometimes if airports have an illogical taxiway layout it's not easy to use a logical designation system.

aces low
8th Dec 2008, 12:36
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am now slightly wiser (more wise?), better informed ...and grateful.