View Full Version : Logbook question for ATPL requirements

eagle21
18th Nov 2008, 14:05
Hi, I work as a FO on a medium jet. I will be looking into getting my ATPL license next year, before that, I need to meet the minimun PIC time. Could anyone clarify if I can write the sectors as PF under PIC time?

If so:

Under NAME PIC: I write the Cps name or my name?

And on the remarks section does the Captain has to sign?

This is a Jeppeseen logbook and a UK license I am enquiring about.

Any help would be appreciated

flyaway777
18th Nov 2008, 14:27
I have recently gained my ATPL and had the same problems you are having.

The sectors were you have flown as PF can be entered as PICUS (so that you can meet the minimum PIC time required) and the sectors you fly as PNF should be entered as Co-pilot.

You must write the Captains name as PIC as he/she is the commander.

With regard to the getting the Captain to sign your logbook after each flight, technically you should however if it is the UK CAA you are applying to then they will accept a letter from your Base Captain stating that the hours you entered as PICUS are correct.

Also, you must meet all the hour requirements BEFORE you do the ATPL skills test which is usually done as part of an LPC/LST.

Hope this helps.

FL370 Officeboy
18th Nov 2008, 14:28
In the UK you can log PF sectors as PICUS (i.e. in the PIC column) as long as you ensure you log it as follows:

PIC Name: Always the Captain's name

The Captain does not necessarily have to sign it. In many companys the DFO/Fleet Mgr/Chief Pilot will provide a letter on behalf of the operator confirming the hours logged are correctly logged as PICUS when PF.

PNF is of course logged as Co-Pilot in a Jeppesen logbook.

Hope this helps.

Dr Eckener
18th Nov 2008, 14:31
You do not need to meet all the hours requirement before taking the skills test, only the 1500 hours must be attained first. The 500 multi crew etc may be achieved afterwards.

eagle21
18th Nov 2008, 14:32
Thanks, for your help

CirrusF
8th Dec 2008, 10:38
The requirements are only 250 PIC! It amazes me that people get into rhs on an airline without having a few hours P1 time already...

Also amazes me that authorities accept PF time as equivalent to PIC time. It most certainly is not. You might be PF, but if there was an emergency, or even an inflight weather routing decision to take, I bet you don't take the decisions!