PDA

View Full Version : Descend /Climb

ARENDIII
17th Nov 2008, 18:35
Hi everyone.
When cleared by ATC to climb or descend, what distance in NM or what time in seconds have I to initiate this?
I realise that it shou'd be immediate, but what is the leeway?
Also-please can you quote a reference for me in order that I may be able to pass this on to my peers.
Thank you,
Arend III.

Blockla
17th Nov 2008, 18:45
Within 60 seconds, unless prefixed with 'immediate'. Sorry no book-man here...

ARENDIII
17th Nov 2008, 19:13
Thank you Sir-although 60 secs sounds like a really long time!

glider insider
17th Nov 2008, 21:25
Within 60 seconds?
That is ridiculous. If you took that long to initiate a descent I think you would be questioned by most controllers to confirm you have remembered the control instruction. If you took the same time for a turn, you would be 6 miles further on before starting it and have totally buggered up the track distance. (assuming you were in a radar pattern).

Whilst the circumstances and response time will undoubtedly vary from pilot to pilot and a/c type to type, a 60s lag would cause alarm amongst most controllers.

belk78
18th Nov 2008, 10:45
60 secs? i would probably ask you if you are experiencing any problem to comply if you donīt do it within the next 20 seconds.
I am afraid i donīt have references for you, but i read somewhere in this forum that, unless cleared otherwise, you have to initiate it "inmediately", and at a minimum rate of 300 ft per min.

Tiberius
18th Nov 2008, 12:58
I am fairly certain that the books refer to 1 minute for commencement of descent, I'll have a look for the reference.

That said, there are only two instructions that I use: 'When ready descend' or 'descend now' with perhaps an 'expedite' thrown in for good measure.

19th Nov 2008, 12:01
Many years ago there was a distinction between:
"Cleared to xxx" and "climb/descend xxx".....one was a clearance meaning at your discretion, and the other was an executive instruction. Over time the distinction has become blurred and in common usage the two are almost interchangeable in modern ATC.
This has led to the practice of using the phrase "climb/descend NOW xxx". Although not strictly correct, it does convey the meaning in an unambiguous manner.......if "now" is omitted, it is not unusual for a pilot to ask..."Is that at my discretion?".......so much so that controllers may actually say "at your discretion".
Speaking personally I have no problem with any pilot who seeks clarification, in fact I commend him/her for doing so. I may also use a tone on occassion which imparts the necessary urgency if I'm busy or the situation demands it.
Remember we're here to provide a service to you without being unnecessarily restrictive.
I once did a familiarisation flight and the pilot said that when given a descent clearance from cruise he would retard the throttles very gradually to prevent rapid heat/temp change in the engines.....no problem at all for me....but if you haven't begun the level change within a minute [long time in ATC] expect a reminder or a repeat.
You could be expected to maintain current level for longer if you were given an instruction such as "level by xxx".....because it would be implicit in the clearance that descent [or more rarely climb] would be calculated by the pilot to suit the operating characteristics of the particular aircraft type.

Philthy
23rd Nov 2008, 06:47
From Australian AIP ENR 1.7 - 7 4.1.1

The pilot in command must commence a change of level as soon
as possible, but not later than one (1) minute after receiving that
instruction from ATC, unless that instruction specifies a later time
or place.

I'm pretty sure it's an ICAO procedure too.

BOAC
23rd Nov 2008, 10:03
For controller info, I would estimate that most autoflight systems would need about 20 seconds from you receiving acknowledgement to seeing a descent on SSR. There's a fair bit of 'knob twiddling' (yes, I know...), confirmation between crews and then a 'softish' autothrottle response.

We've had the discussion before about 'Descend Now' and I much prefer the use of the phrase when required, just to save R/T, especially with so many 'unknown' ATC early descent requirement gates (also a previous thread).