PDA

View Full Version : Engine out AirNZ Q300 at NZPM

Got the horn
16th Nov 2008, 22:00
Just seen an AirNS Q300 make an engine out landing. Nice bit of cross-wind too.

PA31 pilot
17th Nov 2008, 00:53
Source <www.stuff.co.nz>

An Air New Zealand flight was forced to make an emergency landing at Palmerston North airport after an engine failed 10 minutes into a flight.

The Q300 plane, which had 33 passengers onboard, was flying from Napier to Wellington when one of the propeller engines malfunctioned just before midday.

The pilot shut the engine down and flew to Palmerston North with a single engine.

Passenger Mike Rodgers, of Gore, heard a bang when the engine shut down and saw oil seeping from the propeller.

No passengers were injured but a few were shaken by the experience, he said.

Fire fighters and St John ambulance crews were called to the airport but were not needed.

Palmerston North airport operations manager Roy Bodell said the passengers had alternative travel arrangements made by Air New Zealand.

hmmmmm........ wonder what happened??
Good work to the boys for getting down safely.:ok:

terronnd
17th Nov 2008, 02:03
Or Girls...............

S.E.A.L.11
17th Nov 2008, 04:36
Left engine fire indication. Dunno if it was actually a real one or not, but no black on the cowlings after landing :confused:. There was a large turnout from local emergency authorities, so I guess it was a full-scale emergency.

The Dash had trouble getting going again after stopping on the runway, did a few doughies before a successful backtrack was accomplished :} :ok:

always inverted
17th Nov 2008, 06:36
Good work guys...favourable outcome.

S.E.A.L.11
17th Nov 2008, 07:18
Here's a link to the news item on 3 News:

3 News (http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/National/tabid/309/articleID/80268/Default.aspx#video)

High five to the guy that said planes are safer!! :ok::D

distracted cockroach
17th Nov 2008, 18:14
Here here....provoked a lot of laughter in our house....reporters can be such tossers!
Note TV3 called it a Dash 8 too, not a Q300. Air NZ will be chuffed. Dash 8s have all sorts of problems, but they fly Q300s....which don't:D

framer
17th Nov 2008, 18:58
Dash 8s have all sorts of problems, but they fly Q300s....which don't:D
They are just newer dash 8's aren't they?

Water Wings
17th Nov 2008, 19:49
They are just newer dash 8's aren't they?

Air NZ didn't want the public associating these new Dash 8's with the one that... umm... well got planted on the side of a hill a few years back.
Big push internally to only refer to it as a 'Q300'.

slackie
17th Nov 2008, 20:15
Still says "DHC8" on the flightplans!

framer
17th Nov 2008, 20:56
If it looks like a duck, quacks like and duck and walks like a duck.... .

S.E.A.L.11
17th Nov 2008, 22:52
Uh oh not again! :uhoh:

Stuff Article (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4764945a11.html) and 3 News (http://www.3news.co.nz/Plane-forced-to-make-emergency-landing-at-Wellington/tabid/209/articleID/80390/cat/525/Default.aspx)

Seems 3 News are determined to call it a Dash :}

NZScion
17th Nov 2008, 23:20
Stuff.co.nz is reporting another "emergency" at Wellington this morning with a Q300. Apparently a warning light in the cockpit and a normal landing... No story...

skydozer
18th Nov 2008, 06:24
:confused:
Have just spoken to one of the engineers working on the engine, he said it was a catastrophic failure in the engine core. I flown all models of the PW100 series engines and the babied don't just go bang!
Looks like it may be a bearing failure or something similar.

Hugh Jarse
18th Nov 2008, 08:34
It really makes me laugh :}

Of course it's a Dash 8. It's only a Q300 when the ANVS is working, and more often than not, it isn't.

Otherwise, it's still a 50 seat Dash 8 :8

Skydozer, I can't remember the specifics, but some PW123's were known to have a problem with either a bearing or a seal. Can't remember which, but we had a standing order a few years back regarding pulling props through on turnarounds and checking for binding, which was an indication of a problem with said part.

Yes, the PW12x is very reliable IMHO.

always inverted
19th Nov 2008, 20:26
god, some of you really know how to stretch the facts eh? You can see why this is a rumour network...
I spoke to one of our engineers and was told it was a turbine that let go on them. I suppose that it was a catastrophic failure but really, who uses words like that to describe an engine letting go, shame on you...

peuce
19th Nov 2008, 22:46
I guess the degree of "catastrophe" is in direct proportion to the number of engines carried !

framer
19th Nov 2008, 23:24
I suppose that it was a catastrophic failure but really, who uses words like that to describe an engine letting go, shame on you
I'm normally opposed to sensationalisng things but in this case I think that catastrophic is the accepted way of describing a failure of this kind.
I'm not sure if it comes from manufacturers or engineers or just around the crew rooms but in my experience the word is often used to describe a turbine failure that was of the 'completely lunched itself' nature.' Not really anything to be ashamed of AI......you sound like a school matron I dreamed about last night....do you wear your hair in a bun?

Tarq57
19th Nov 2008, 23:55
I believe "catastrophic" in this context is the correct way of describing it; an engineering terminology to describe a sudden and total failure of a system from which recovery is impossible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catastrophic_failure) (in this sort of case, the donk can not be made to produce any power.)

Of course, a techy term derived from a word with a common and more sinister meaning used to describe what's just happened as part of a PA to passengers (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200111/s427013.htm) may cause disproportionate alarm.
IIRC, following the event, at least one of the pax heard up to the word "catastrophe", after which all rational thought was suspended, for a time.

skydozer
22nd Nov 2008, 07:07
Well the P&W maintenance manual call's it a catastrophic failure so I think I will stick with that for now!

Looks like a bearing failure and the FDR shows it stopped instantaneously! so I too think that pretty catastrophic!

What ever you want to call it the 120 series does not suffer from this problem, the 123's do have some problems with the RGB.

ZK-NSN
23rd Nov 2008, 08:42
Whats in a name? Eagle take great pride in calling the horsefloat a 1900D Airliner.....they wish. Its just a turbine Queenair.