PDA

View Full Version : Gaza Airspace

Pierre 1
16th Nov 2008, 10:12
Can anyone give some feedback on the airspace situation in Gaza.....as we all know the Israeli pulled out of Gaza some years ago and said that they would not longer be involved in Gaza.......upon leaving they intentionally destroyed the new Gaza International Airport that had been built by funds from Europe. The Israeli's did however say that they would maintain control of the airspace and it would appear that this was worded in the Oslo Accord.

I have seen the FIR boundary on an old charts which at the time was showing the entire Gaza strip and the Southern part of Isarel as falling in the Egypt (Cairo FIR).

Can anyone confirm the legal international view on this situation ie what is currently shown on the charts........I would appreciate a copy of a current chart if anyone can scan it and send....

I feel extremely sorry for the residents of Gaza as they appear to be blocked by sea and air with this legal or illigal embargo that is controlled by Israel.

Maybe we should encourage some views on this from both sides?

makosa
16th Nov 2008, 15:45
On the Jeppesen charts, airspace is marked as belonging to Tel Aviv FIR.

Don't worry about European funds in palestinian hands, they were much more useful in:
- writing / publishing schoolbooks teaching how to hate Jews
- making Palestinian leaders multi-billionaires (Arafat widow lives in Switzerland..)
- giving them money to buy rockets and weapons
- not taking opportunities of the Gaza Strip (i.e. wonderful sandbeaches, great agricultural fields left by the Israelis now turned into dust by the palestinians)

I feel sorry for the Israelis living in Israel, near the Gaza strip, receiving rockets in their home every day.

PPRuNe Radar
16th Nov 2008, 22:21
Politics can be discussed in Jet Blast. Please leave them at the door.

Pierre 1
17th Nov 2008, 13:29
Dear Radar,

So sorry for this breach....I only intended to receive ATC information and will keep it away from politics.....maybe someone else can clarify the legal boundaries of the FIR in the region as far as ICAO an other bodies are concerned....anyone else to feedback please?

PPRuNe Radar
17th Nov 2008, 18:30
Bon soir Pierre,

no problem with talking about the ATC aspects on this part of the website.

I was referring more to the post by makosa regarding Israel vs Palestine political issues. The issues raised have been covered a lot in Jet Blast and there is no need for them on the ATC part of the Forum.

Salut !!

makosa
18th Nov 2008, 06:42
Pierre 1, can't you read the first sentence of my reply ? I checked on the latest Jeppesen Low Altitude Enroute chart.

Politicals issues have been raised by Pierre 1 in the first place.

No_Speed_Restriction
18th Nov 2008, 12:02
Pierre1, what route do you intend to fly? You will probably fall short of overflying Gaza by using the beacon at El Arish.

P.S. Clearly you havent lived in Israel otherwise your sentiment for the "tenants" of Gaza would easily reverse given the constant bombardment from Gaza to cities such as Ashkelon. Israel made a big mistake giving away Gaza. Rabin paid the price for giving away land, so has Sharon. Now, with the latest medical reports, so will Olmert. G-d works in misterious ways.

Pierre 1
18th Nov 2008, 13:29
What appeared to be a simple request to get feedback from the international community regarding the legal aspect of the FIR region around Gaza has now turned into a political football match and input has only been received from one side in a very hard hitting way.

The mediator has been critical of this and therefore I still hope to received some unbiased comments from maybe Egyptian ATC or Cyprus ATC or maybe someone from ICAO may be out there.

To those who strongly worded their replies you can see another thread that hopefully will allow you to fire away on the following :
Does or Should Gaza have its own airspace and seaspace?

Hopefully we will get some ballanced comments also.....for those hard hitting folk....I am a sitting in the middle having spent most of my life in the Middle East both Military and as a businessman including Iraq and many other trouble spots......for those who have been critical how far afield have you travelled and what is your donation to mankind.....go over to the other thread to respond .

For those who can provide feedback on the FIR please remain on this thread