View Full Version : One Headset Two Radios

silvereagle
15th Nov 2008, 11:18
We are all used to aircraft with two radios feeding into one headset. There are also boxes to allow 2 (or more) headsets to be connected to the radio(s). I am keen to use my ICOM hand held as a second radio as my aircraft only has one panel mounted radio.

Is there a suitable box that allows this to happen? I am not thinking about tranmitting on the ICOM (although I don't see why it wouldn't work) rather I want to listen to DATIS broadcasts and listen to my base station when I am in the local area talking to someone else. Any ideas?

Fright Level
15th Nov 2008, 11:31
Connect the ICOM through the AUX in on the panel if there is one, else the iPod connection on your headset or one of those headset distribution boxes with an AUX in?

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
15th Nov 2008, 19:09
If you are good at soldering, or know someone who is, you could make up a cable to achieve the effect. You will need a suitable connector for the Icom (3.5mm mono jack plug I think) and a standard headset plug (0.25 inch). With a suitable cable, the ground is connected between the two plugs. The signal is connected via a 0.1 microfarad capacitor. This passes the audio, but keeps any dc levels apart.

You can then use a Y Adapter to connect your headset and the signal from the Icom in to the existing system. You could also plug our made up cable in to the P2 headset socket, assuming you are on your own. I’ve used this system to make a cheap ‘Box 2’ with a scanner for monitoring Volmet and such.

Good luck.

Richard W.