PDA

View Full Version : More Info for those (low-timers) seeking a job in Namibia

Pages : [1] 2

BBN RADAR
14th Nov 2008, 01:36
Hi All,

First would just like to say Good luck with your job hunting in Namibia and Bots. I've had quite a few PMs recently about flying in Namibia and rather than keep on repeating myself I'll post some of my replies below for a general audience. There seems to be a lot of interest in Maun but not so much in Namibia... As you'll read, I was based in Namibia but I did several trips over to the Okavango Delta so I am in a position to comment and compare the flying side of things. However, I never actually lived in Maun (but had a couple of friends who had). A lot of this has been said before but here we go:

Q: Best time to go?
A: "I arrived in Windhoek in the beginning of December 2006 and it was bad timing.. took me 2 months to get an offer. Lots of hiring happened in Mar-Jun." You probably won't get many (if any) answers to emails - you need to be there in person to generate some interest.

Q: Pay & Accomodation?
A: The pay was quite low (after tax less than US$1000) when you convert it to foreign currencies but I was living very comfortably on my salary. This was probably over 4 times the average salary. All of the companies tended to pay the same with a few exceptions. In all the companies,Your pay will go up as your hours go up.
RE the accomodation: some of the companies supply it and some don't. Rent was expensive (relatively speaking) for my salary. I was renting a room from another pilot who owned a nice apartment and was spending about 25% of my disposable income.

I was away from home (at 4 & 5-star lodges mostly) anywhere from 10-15 days a month. It's all paid for of course and you generally get overnight allowances. I was actually able to save quite a lot of money over a year.

Q: Who's good to work for?
A: "The best companies to work for in Namibia are

Scenic Air (C210s mostly)
Wings Over Africa (C210s but chance to get twin-turbine and possibly jet)
Naturewings & Westair (mostly charter, C210s, C310s, C404s, C406s)
Sefofane (C210s & C208s)

I have got mates working in all of the above so can provide contacts. Scenic air and Wings do lots of fly-in-safaris and you get to stay at great lodges and do guest activities which I loved.

Westair pay the best and have a nice fleet but their culture is a bit uptight and they take themselves a bit too seriously (an oral questionnaire for the 210 is done by TWO instructors). I mean you will get some good twin time with them but not so many safaris and you certainly won't get to chase zebras and Oryx around at 10 feet off the deck! :ok:

Most of the flying in Namibia is on the C210 but twin-time is available. The company I was with it was hard to get onto the twins (they only had 2 and down to 1 now after a prang!) but a mate of mine was flying conquests (co-pilot) and C310 with about 800 hours total.

Another thing, don't even bother talking to Desert Air unless you speak perfect Afrikaans."

Q: Which pilots go to Maun and which end up in Namibia?
A: "I'm not sure why, but it seems that (in General) all the South African low time pilots end up in Namibia, and the other foreigners (Kiwis, Europeans & yourself for example) tend to go to Bots. Although 90% of the flying I did was in Namibia, I did a few trips into Maun and some flying around the Okavango Delta and I can tell you that they are both good fun, challenging and a good experience. The flying and the scenery in Namibia is a hell of a lot more contrasting though! In Namibia you will fly over rich red deserts, the Fish River canyon, the lush green Caprivi stip and the beautiful Hartmanns valley just to name a few. Do not overlook Namibia just because all those Kiwis (hahaha - just joking) can't be bothered (or don't need) to travel over there...." :E

Q: What licenses and experience will I need?
A: you definitely don't need an IR to get a job over there. Most ops are VFR anyways. It's not difficult to get a job with a bare CPL and not much more.

Q:How do I convert my licence and get a work visa?
"Go over there first - its a lengthy bureacratic process to convert the licence but not really difficult. Employers will help you out or do the visa for you."

Enjoy, BBN Radar

nbv4
14th Nov 2008, 02:15
Thanks, thats a lot of good information. I'm heading out to southern Africa right after new year. There is a lot of talk around here about low timers, but what about high timers? That is people with 1000+ hours with previous turbine experience and such? Do they have an easier time getting jobs there, or do flight hours not mean much?

cya
14th Nov 2008, 02:46
Thanks for the info. I'm heading to Botswana and possibly Namibia shortly, am thinking of buying a handheld GPS for nav backup. Are these a common item, and is there any one product which is better than others?
P

three eighty
14th Nov 2008, 02:47
Radar
Helpful and informative post.

I worked in Namibia in the mid 90's and enjoyed my time there. I operated out of Swakopmund so couldn't help notice that you didn't mention the companies based in that town. Pleasure flights & Safaris and Atlantic air. This was some time ago so I don't know if these companies still exist but if they do, and conditions are still the same then they are also worth a shot.
I had a lot of fun living there and the flying was great fun. All C210. Mostly scenic flights down to Sosuss, Fish River Canyon, Skeleton Coast and some flights up to Etosha. It was a good hour building exercise and I found the Namibians to be very friendly and accomodating.
As for getting a job, initial contact via email was ok, but only to introduce myself and ask if I would be able to meet the company bosses when I made a fact finding trip up to Namibia. The best way is to go there and introduce yourself personally to try and secure a job for sometime in the future ie pilot leaving , tourist season etc. Don't expect to arrive and be flying a week later. I made a holiday out of it. On my way home, I hunted for a C210 and bought myself a rating. These aircraft are few and far between in SA and this was the most difficult part of the whole exercise. Back home I then called the companies to tell them that I was now the proud owner of a C210 endorsed licence. This just served as a little reminder of my earlier visit. I then waited to hear from them. As it turned out, the phonecall wasn't long in coming.

Ask yourself this, As a prospective employer, would you employ someone via email, or someone that has taken the effort to come to Namibia and introduce themself to you personally.

Namibia back then was low time pilot friendly and where else could you get a job where you were expected to fly low level for most of the day.Later when you have moved onto bigger more advanced "computers" you will look back on Namibia flying with fondness.

denlopviper
14th Nov 2008, 04:43
i have a garmin 296, but it has the asia pacific intt'l region only. anyone know a cheap way of geting the firmware for africa?

cochise
14th Nov 2008, 06:37
Great post mate! I needed that about six years ago! So much nicer when people don't "CIA" what they know about the region's industry and hiring practices.
Cheers :cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Nov 2008, 18:35
What? No hairspray...?:rolleyes:

Csanad007
14th Nov 2008, 20:21
no hoop snakes, no hairspray

172driver
14th Nov 2008, 23:20
i have a garmin 296, but it has the asia pacific intt'l region only. anyone know a cheap way of geting the firmware for africa?

Check the Garmin website, for most units all you need to do is to 'update' the database with a different region. This means your original region is lost. If you do this, back up any data you have on there, such as personally input waypoints first. Also be aware, that the Atlantic database which has Namibia on it, only shows a couple of airports in Nam. Great fun inputting all the other coordinates by hand :E

On a different note, buy an external antenna. Satellite reception isn't the greatest there and with the unit mounted on the yoke it's easily lost, which can lead to some interesting moments :eek: Attaching the external antenna solves the issue.

Fabulous place to fly :ok:

denlopviper
15th Nov 2008, 00:17
Great fun inputting all the other coordinates by hand

:E:E

Montoya
15th Nov 2008, 17:24
As far as I know,Westair requires you to sign a 3yr contract,anyone know how long the other companies usually contract you for?

bond7
15th Nov 2008, 23:24
BBN RADAR,

Thank you, thank you!!

BBN RADAR
19th Nov 2008, 10:06
Hey good to hear all the interest, I'm getting a lot of PMs so I'll post the responses here to share the info again.

Q: Do I need 210 time to get a job?
A: It will help to have a some 210 time - even just a couple of hours but it is not essential. You will have to do some 210 time in a flight test to validate your licence anyways.

On another note - most people don't realise that the validation flight test is (or was) the same as the flight test for an initial Namibian licence. I did the flight test and all the paperwork for a validation and then a couple of months later I showed the ladies at the DCA my proof of passing all my Aussie CPL & ATPL subjects and they gave me a proper Namibian licence. A validation is tied to a work-permit so if you have the licence it makes your life easier in the long run as you don't have to worry about your validation expiring if you let your work-permit lapse. :ok: Sorry if that is difficult to understand!

Q: I'm interested in working in Namibia, but only for 6 months. Will I be hired with this in mind?
A: Most employers would probably expect and be happy with a 12 month term. I would think you would be cutting your employment prospects short if you were upfront about your plan to only be there for 6 months.

Q: I might be bringing some family over to Namibia. Is Windhoek safe?
A: Windhoek is mostly very safe as is the whole of Namibia. Namibia has a very low population which helps in this regard. Violent crime against foreigners is quite rare but a few muggings do occur. As long as you use some commonsense you should be able to avoid them. I never felt in danger during daylight hours - even in the dodgy parts of town! But be more cautious at night.

Q: Can you please provide me with some contacts?
A: I'm not gonna hand out contacts so people can bombard them with e-mails from their computer in Europe or Australia. Only once you are in the country and sipping on a delicious Windhoek/Tafel Lager will I contemplate giving out a contact. As said before, emailing a CV is pretty useless.

What's that you say? I might take a week or more for you to send me an email once you are in the country and then for me to reply with said contact? Awwww cry me a river. Lighten up - use this time to get to know the Norwegian nurses staying at the Cardboard Box Backpackers. Norwegian nurses? Yep, usually a big group of them at the Box from Jan-Apr. Oh yeah, Giggady gig. ;)

Q: But isn't going all the way over to Namibia without the certainty of a job a bit of a risky maneuvre?
A: Yep. :E

Hey, it's worked for me and hundreds of others in Nam and Bots. I'd say 75% of the interview is just being there! To show that you've travelled that far a distance in search of a job and some adventure shows your commited right?!

Q: Where's the best place to stay while in town?
A: In Windhoek, the Chameleon backpackers and the Cardboard box are probably the best and cheapest places to stay. I was at "The Box" from the beginning so I like that one better (the bar is bigger and stays open later! ;) )

Someone else asked why I didn't talk about the companies in Swakopmund. I was based in Swakop for a few months before Windhoek and thought the flying outta there was great fun. If you get a job with a company that only has a base there then I think the flying would get a little monotonous. Sossusvlei scenics day after day after day. The companies that I have mentioned in my other posts allow you to fly all over the country and stay at lodges everywhere. An overall better and more fulfilling experience I think.

Take it easy! I'm gonna hit the hay.

Csanad007
19th Nov 2008, 11:58
You already convinced me!

I'll be hitting Windhoek sometime next year. Hope a bare CPL with some 200+ hours and C210 rating will land me somewhere :) Oh and maybe some operators are looking for a professional graphic designer/newbie pilot/crazy hungarian combo :8

BBN RADAR THX again, these were the most helpful topics! :ok:

Csanad007
19th Nov 2008, 13:14
just what amount of money to bring with me estimating a 3 months survival?
THX

MKA742
19th Nov 2008, 14:54
If TNT don't want want me I'm coming over there as well.
Staying a year is no problem for me. Love Africa.
How is the cheapest way to get to Windhoek? Except swimming:ok:
I'll be spending money I don't have...

Hope to see you there in january! :D

Montoya
19th Nov 2008, 16:27
Norweigen nurses?Ok I'm convinced,lol. I've been to the Namib a couple of times on holiday,awesome place,I could easily fly there for a year.Its definetly something I'm looking into

Thanks for the info:ok:

Csanad007
24th Nov 2008, 19:02
hey, I'm on my way, don't care flyin' gimme the nurses :}

MKA742
6th Dec 2008, 15:15
People are forgetting Namibia I think. :confused:
I'dd like to see some more activity here aswell.
I'm flying out to Windhoek 2nd of Jan.
Can anyone tell me the cheapest place to stay or camp around the airport? Where is the bar the chief pilots hang out at and where can I find the companies? In the terminal or do they have their own buildings?
Does anyone work there? Are there any pilots leaving soon? How are the bookings over there with the economy today? Is there any demand for new pilots? :cool:
Does Air Botswana fly to Maun from Windhoek too?
Is anyone interested in a ticket back to Dusseldorf? I could sell you one...

Any hel appreciated :ok:

Propellerpilot
6th Dec 2008, 16:27
MKA742 - just to answer a few of your questions:

Cheapest place would be the backpackers - there is no place to camp really, would be rather unsafe also.

There is no single bar where chiefpilots specifically hang out - this is not Maun, there are actually more places that people like to hang out, so they do not stick to one specific place. To give some of my personal advice: don't speak to any chief pilots in Windhoek - always talk to the boss directly.

The airport you are interested in, is the city airport Eros (FYWE) - you will be arriving at the international airport (FYWH) and there is nobody there and it is about 80kms out of town, so the first thing you will do is take a taxi into town for N$120 and take it from there.

Everyone is in their own buildings or hangars at Eros, exept Sefofane which are located in town.

There is no cheap connection from Windhoek to Maun - Air Namibia is the only one that used to do the route with the B190 - I don't know if they still do. Before you do that though, take a trip with Wild Dog/Crazy Kudu and view some of the country and while your on the trip check the guys in Swakopmund - if Windhoek doesn't happen, this might be your adress.

January is not the best time to go jobhunting in Windhoek so maybe hang onto that return ticket - but give it a try. It usally gets better from March to April.

I assume you come from the Netherlands - try to seperate yourself from others by offering a language bonus for all those Dutch tourists that you might be flying, if they take you - this can be a huge bonus to your advantage and show some general interest in Namibia. What a lot of guys don't realise, is that the flying job in Namibia is only a small aspect of the job and it is not only your pilot skills that they are looking for. You will spend a lot of time with the tourists and you will have to be a good communicator and do your best to give them a holiday of a lifetime - so that they want to come back. So start improving your knowledge of the country as best as you can. If you don't want to make the effort, you will be like most others coming there to get the job.

Good luck

MKA742
7th Dec 2008, 13:32
Thx man

What is Wild Dog/Crazy Kudu? Bus company?

I am from Belgium actually, but we do speak the same language. Dutch is alot like Afrikaans (do they speak afrikaans there too?) so that might be an advantage indeed. I will buy some books and read about Namibia and Bots a bit on the plane.

In Maun they say Januari is the season, because a pilot like me requires some training and I don't know if they have the time to do that in full blown season.

I'll try to stay a month or two so...

Do you know anybody at firms? Because they don't seem to answer mails with questions...

Thanks again!

Propellerpilot
7th Dec 2008, 14:27
Wild Dog / Crazy Kudu is a guided back packer Safari Tour operator, probably the cheapest way to check out the country if you don't want to self drive (it might break out even).

Scenic Air works closely with Group the Leading Lodges which is run by a belgian Family - so they get a lot of Belgian guests - might make a difference. Look up Leading Lodges on the internet.

They never answer emails - it means nothing. They get about 200 emails from wannabe pilots a week, of which only very few will actually come there. They have better things to do, than answering emails all day... I have never had responses from email - just going there in person, being honest, able to show a bit of confidence and selling yourself is the only thing that works.

I know everybody there because I worked there for 2 years, however I will never post names or give them out to anyone for obvious resons. You also do not need names, it will not make a difference. Just talk to people or go to the office and try and get an appointment. It is not that difficult.

BBN RADAR
7th Mar 2009, 07:11
Hi again,

I've had a few PMs recently from pilots asking about the current hiring situation in Namibia with regards to the Global financial meltdown...

I'm not living there anymore but my mates still there tell me that hiring has slowed down a bit with a drop in tourist numbers but there are still jobs to be found. It seems that Maun has been hit a lot harder with a few companies ready to fold.

I heard that Scenic Air has unfortunately had to increase their minimum hours to 400 due to insurance requirements.

Good Luck! :ok:

AIRWOLF No.1
21st Oct 2009, 22:56
The insurance due to the high accident rate of Scenic Air or melt down!!!!:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=

Ronand
26th Oct 2009, 22:52
I'm planning on travelling to Namibia and Bots in spring aswell. Does anyone know what the current hiring situation is down there? I also heared it has become harder cos of less tourists coming, but not sure how it really is.... Do you guys think there is a realistic chance of getting a job as a complete rookie with a CPL ME IR and 240h TT?
I'm working really hard doing a harsh job at the moment to save money for the trip. Does anyone know how much money I should have stashed in order to get there and be able to support myself for 2 months?
Thx for any answers....

lilflyboy262
27th Oct 2009, 09:40
Ronand, Im going there for 4-5 months, taking around 10k NZD with me, that includes my airfares there.
Thats a bit of a guide for ya. Plan a worst case senario and how comfortable you want to live.

Ronand
27th Oct 2009, 19:43
Ok thats abt 5000 Eur, thats a lot of money though.... Is it really that expensive over there? Have you been there before?

Pace152
28th Oct 2009, 12:37
It isnt that cheap to live in Windhoek, dont know about the rest of Nam. Reckon on spending about £20 a night for reasonable accomodation.

Also if you're any good at languages and you can learn some German in the months before you go, give that a go.

lilflyboy262
28th Oct 2009, 23:31
Nop havent been there before. Im also travelling most of southern africa while im there. So hence the large amount.
Give me a message when you are here, good to sit down with someone for some beer and stories!

robofos
29th Oct 2009, 07:00
why does it seem that there are more pilots from Britain, NZ, and Australia than Americans interested in flying over there in Africa? are there many americans over there?

lilflyboy262
29th Oct 2009, 09:38
They cant handle the conditions?

toolowtoofast
29th Oct 2009, 09:47
there's no Quiznos?

allison
30th Oct 2009, 17:21
Hey guys,

If i may add to the thread, flying in namibia, angola, zambia and botswana was the most exciting bush flying any pilot could ever experience. I never did have the opportunity to fly in the air force but this is as close as you will get to true flying.

I truly miss the days of flying low level over the sand, swamps and ocean, of course only on the many empty sectors. Eventually I bought a garmin 3 pilot GPS which was probably the best buy of my life time! Map reading and nav planning is a great skill, but the gps sure does ease your thoughts when the fuel is low.

After 210's i was fortunate enough to graduate to twin piston and later twin turbine command. It was an amazing life. Remember this, in any company, if you go the extra mile you will be noticed.

I left Nam in 2005 with a heavy heart but knew that i had to go to the airlines for any kind of stability and ultimately, family life. If the money was better i would still be there today!

I wish all you keen aviators the best adventure of your lives. Enjoy the flying, lodges, game drivers and stay at least two years. Get that magical 1000hrs on 210's and you'll be joining an elite club.

Good luck to all....

Ronand
1st Nov 2009, 11:48
20$ a night seems pretty expensive for Africa... As I remember a few years back in South east Asia I was paying about 5$ a night for a reasonable single room.....
So You guys think it's best to go there around Jan/Feb?. I think If I have made enough money by then I'll give it a shot....

spkkell
2nd Nov 2009, 21:01
I may be heading over their my self. I'm a dub too, PM me your number. I'd like to hear your plans.

Speedbird2263
21st Nov 2009, 15:32
I was fortunate enough to get a response to an e-mail I had sent to Sefofane Air Charters in Botswana. Unfortunately Chief Pilot said they aren't any openings right now. I can only hope that the situation is only until the spring as I am willing to go slug it out in the 'motherland' and make an adventure of it if I get the chance. ;)

abhi88
22nd Nov 2009, 15:59
Hey speedbird, are you from jamaica?

OLVpilot
23rd Nov 2009, 01:50
They cant handle the conditions?

Right...

Perhaps because the United States has a higher demand than other countries for domestic jobs. Don't be ignorant.

TXaviator
23rd Nov 2009, 20:22
hell. ive got a job in the states right now and im still looking at africa for various reasons...

lilflyboy262
25th Nov 2009, 09:08
I'm amazed at the lack of sense of humour that people have these days. Try taking a chill pill OLV, may be a reason why you guys have a bad name down these ways.

I'm in Namibia at the moment. I'll fill you guys in on the details and a list of each companies requirements shortly.

Csanad007
25th Nov 2009, 09:12
I'm very curious.

Houhomlaag
25th Nov 2009, 20:03
For those of you that can speak afrikaans,try desert air!min 200hours required,at around 500hours you start flying multi-engine(be58,c310,c401) and then on c208. P2 on AC90(Turbine commander) and at around 1500total time you get command on it!great company to work for!but, you'll have to be able to speak afrikaans...

Csanad007
25th Nov 2009, 21:51
... I learn afrikaans on the fly?
Only because I speak (and write) in four languages:) and I could learn afrikaans in a few weeks :)
No chance, eh?

Krazy
2nd Dec 2009, 05:01
What is the best time of year to be in Namibia (and Africa in general) for job hunting? Is there a high/low season, or is it pretty much the same all year around?

albatros19
16th Dec 2009, 02:03
hey guys i'd like to know is there any age requirement to land a job there asides frm having CPL?

SS72
17th Dec 2009, 13:58
Thanks for the comprehensive low-down on Namibia. but I'm hearing different stuff about total required hours. Sefofanes website says 250 with an IR, but I hear rumours about 400. Is this rubbish or do you think they are saying this to get rid of certain people?:hmm:

SS72
17th Dec 2009, 14:02
Apparently the start of the winter season is the tourist season. So Jan Feb is the best time. Gives them time to train you up for for March April.

underneath the radar
17th Dec 2009, 20:17
A word from the wise, Nam is a great place to build up hours, but! There is a huge BUT, Windhoek is hot and high (average temp in summer at 10am 29C up to 40C or higher at mid day, at an elevation 5500' AGL), eros's runways are short and with the mountains and high terrain cause even experienced pilots to sweat sometimes! Experience counts for alot flying in those conditions. And dont forget the thunderstorms, when they hit in the afternoon either fly around or land as soon as possible! Maintenance on the older aircraft is questionable. The average age of a C210 is about 25 to 30 years old, Nam has had more fatal accidents in the last 3 years than ever before. I have personally lost friends due to the accidents and some where due to pure negligence of maintenance, lack of experience of pilots and also certain companies not doing all things by the book.

The ATC standards have dropped, the really good atc's have all left for better jobs, ie south africa, germany, abu dhabi etc... So when flying in other parts of the world you might hear a voice that once controlled eros on 118.7! Do expect to have go arounds, slower aircraft being slotted ahead of faster traffic and orbits at positions in the circuit that will kill people one day! :eek:

Namibia is a lovely place but go there first and check it out. I have lots of friends who have flown there or are still flying in that wonderful country, the companies are professional and welcoming. The people are friendly and the weather most of the time is fantastic. But with this fairytale the darker side is that unfortunately it is not the place it was 5 or 10 years ago.:(

nastynik
8th Jan 2010, 17:33
Hi there,
I am thinking of travelling to Namibia to seek employment. I know you have to purchase a return ticket, but is there a way around this in case you are offered a job while there and don't need to come back within the 90 days allowed for a UK citizen. Or otherwise, can you have an onward ticket to another African country, say Tanzania? Would this be acceptable?
Thanks for any info
Nik

ct2003
9th Jan 2010, 08:36
Check Air Namibia (SW), flying to WDH from FRA only. They usually offer triangle flights, i.e. JNB and CPT, where arrival and departure may be at different places, even in different countries. Just enquire, may be they offer sth similar with their other African flights.

katbunch
9th Jan 2010, 21:22
They can't handle the conditions?

Why would we want to leave the greatest country in the world? (That was sarcasm by the way) and I am an American and that seems the case in general for us just travelling abroad. When I was in South Africa a couple years ago, I hardly met any other Americans. Anyways, I am a female pilot headed down to both Botswana and Namibia so not all of us fit in that category ;)

robofos
10th Jan 2010, 08:34
Yeah there are a lot of Americans who are afraid of leaving the country cause they think they'll get AIDs or whatever they hear on Fox news. Its very annoying getting ignorant comments when mentioning any travel or work abroad, i would imagine fewer American pilots in that area because some are just afraid of it. so far this post hasn't been flying related, so.. whats more sketchy, flying through freezing fog, and icing conditions (currently what im seeing here in Oregon) or the effects of flying in 40C from high altitude, in a heavy loaded plane? (what i assume are the conditions in Namibia and Botswana)

BBN RADAR
10th Jan 2010, 09:57
Just to repeat something:

when I was in Namibia the most hiring of pilots was done between February and June. 2010 may be different though....

Also, in 2007-8 you could get a room at the backpackers for between US$10-15.
The 20 British pounds/night that someone mentioned above seems a bit steep to me! If you're really tight and think it might take you a couple of months to get a job sorted then buy a tent and pitch it on the backpackers' grounds for around US$7-8 /night... I lived in a tent for about 6 weeks - good character builiding! :E

Cheers!

BBN RADAR
10th Jan 2010, 10:44
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a lot of PMs with people asking questions along the same lines so I'll post some answers here... I'm sure that I'm repeating myself in a few places :ugh:

Q: Are companies hiring right now?
A: I'm guessing that 2009 was a slow year and that it will pick up in 2010. See above posts for previous high season times... I left Namibia nearly 2 years ago, but I've just emailed a mate who still lives there for a more accurate answer. Stay tuned.

Q: Is it possible to get hired with just a CPL and 200-250hrs?
A: YES! These are low hour jobs and a couple of hours on a 210 will help, but are not essential. It is more the norm rather than the exception to get hired with less than 300 hrs.

Q: I'm quite an old geezer, does age matter for employment? :E
A: Short answer is no. Most of the guys/gals were young in their early/mid twenties but there were the odd exceptions. The companies don't care about your age as long as you get the job done safely and perform well.

Can't think of anything else right now, Will talk later...

Happy Landings!

lilflyboy262
10th Jan 2010, 20:13
I'm in Windhoek now. Noone is hiring. Sefo hired one guy recently. He's currently working at a lodge burning time before they bring him online.

Kingman
10th Jan 2010, 21:10
Hi,
First of all I have deep respect for all of you guys here. You're all very eager to find a job, and I hope for all of us we will find one soon. I have recently graduated as a pilot in the Netherlands, and now looking for a job.
I have a question I'd like to ask. Is it an advantage to actually go to Namibia or other African countries? How do you figure out which companies you want to visit?
I've send my application letter to Sefofane, but no reply yet. So I'll be crossing thumbs the coming days.
Regards

BBN RADAR
12th Jan 2010, 01:16
I'm in Windhoek now. Noone is hiring. Sefo hired one guy recently. He's currently working at a lodge burning time before they bring him online.

Hey mate, I know exactly what that's like... Just hang in there, I'm sure it will pick up around FEB-MAR. If you get restless just do what I did and catch a bus up to the Vic Falls in Zambia for a week or so. An amazing sight!

I wouldn't bother exploring Namibia though - you'll see the whole country for free once you're flying tourists around! :ok:

Cheers!

Krazy
12th Jan 2010, 09:51
Basic question here from me - when people go to Namibia (or any other random place for that matter) - do you have a few changes of a typical pilot uniform packed as well? Or is this something you buy (receive?) once you land your first job?
Also - in a place like Namibia where it's freaking hot - what sort of clothes are you fronting up to these places in? Surely not slacks & a tie?

(I am sure someone is going to **** on me for asking these questions, but hey, I'm OK with that).

abhi88
12th Jan 2010, 13:58
Surely not slacks & a tie?

Haha! Funny that you mentioned it, there is a company here that makes their pilots wear white shirt,long pants and a RED tie for bush flying!!:}

springbok234
13th Jan 2010, 11:26
Hi,

What is the transport system (if any) like in Windhoek? Would I need to buy a car to get around? I see online they are quite expensive, even second hand...compared to Europe :confused:

lilflyboy262
15th Jan 2010, 06:48
You can get a taxi anywhere in Windhoek city for $7.50 per Person. Possibly $15 for out to Eros Airport.
It doubles after midnight.
Do not pay more than that. (that is of course unless you are taking a cab from the international airport into town, that is around $180-$280 depending on your barter skills. Probably around $250 is the going rate if you are travelling alone)

nastynik
15th Jan 2010, 16:44
Hi CT,

Thank you for the info.
Nik

FlyBy_7
16th Jan 2010, 01:32
Well, I've been reading posts about Botswana, Namibia, Tanzania, etc. for about 5 months now and have finally decided to go for it (hence the first post). I'll hopefully be heading to the other side of the world within 2 months, so now it's time for deciding where to go and ask some practical questions. I was thinking a lot about Maun at first so I hope these questions aren't ignorant for Namibia.

I've been thinking through the details of what to bring, what to do with my things here, etc. I guess my questions are:

1) Are basic needs such as toiletries and clothing worth stressing about or can I easily get what I need inexpensively once on the ground? Basically how thoroughly do I need to pack and still fit in my backpack?

2) Are the accommodations relatively secure or should I plan to carry most of my things with me all of the time?

3) Is it easy to exchange US $'s once there or do I need to get local currency here? Are credit cards accepted?

4) I'd rather not bring my laptop but is it easy enough to get online so my family doesn't freak out or is it worth bringing if I can?

5) Most importantly, anything I can buy cheaply here that I can make some money on when I get there (obviously not most important but worth asking)?

Thanks for any help

Propellerpilot
16th Jan 2010, 15:29
Windhoek in Namibia is pretty much First World - so the first 4 Questions present absolutly no hassles. Should be the same for Maun by now, although it is more rural than urban. You can get anything for everyday needs so I would rather take my Laptop along as well.

Concerning Question 5 - importing stuff would just be a waste of time... unless you really have something unique.

Krazy
18th Jan 2010, 10:21
What about medical certificates? Do you need to get a Class 1 done in each country? Or does a foreign class 1 do the trick? Which begs the question - if I come from Oz with an Australian class 1 and it expires after a few months in Africa, can I just get a new one done there? Or do people return for a holiday and get their renewal done?

Voel
18th Jan 2010, 11:35
Krazy, you need to do your medical again in Namibia, but not the whole medical examination. The medical examiner will then convert your valid OZ medical to the Namibian one.

Krazy
18th Jan 2010, 20:21
Thanks Voel.

BBN RADAR
19th Jan 2010, 07:43
I've just heard from a friend in Windhoek that things are very quiet in Namibia at the moment. Some of the companies are also getting a little picky and raising their minimum requirements (because they can or for insurance purposes) to the 400-500 hour total. :( Time on type also a neccesity.

It's likely that things will pick up in March. I would advise anyone thinking of heading over there to wait until mid Feb. :ok:

Cheers and Good luck!

Krazy
19th Jan 2010, 08:37
Thanks very much for that BBNRADAR - it's appreciated greatly (by others as well I'm sure!)

sacha007
19th Jan 2010, 15:28
I received a reply via email from the Chief Pilot at Sefo saying that they are having extreme difficulties in obtainning work permits for non-Namibians from the Ministry of Home Affairs... and they don't know for how long this is going to carry on.

I was also up in Nam during Dec, granted it's not the best time of year, but things were very very quiet and not much movement was expected for a while..

FlyBy_7
19th Jan 2010, 21:28
Thanks for all of the information on this thread. How critical do you think it is to be there in March as opposed late April or May? Obviously things are slow at the moment, but I've got a commitment at work I'm not really willing to walk away from until everything is resolved.

Also, since the World Cup is in South Africa, is there any chance that will increase business and hiring opportunities in May and June leading up to that? Since I've never been there, I'm not sure if international tourists would want to tack a safari, etc. onto their trip.

Thanks again for all of the great information.

nastynik
20th Mar 2010, 10:36
Hi
I am currently staying in Windhoek and have been to the airport and done the rounds with all the operators. I have had a couple of informal chats/interviews, but haven't had any replies yet!!
Is anybody else in town? If so, PM me or call me on 081 618 4996.

Also, do you know where local pilots hang out round here? Maybe a pub or a club where it is easy to network, like the skydiving club in Swakop for example?

Cheers

Capt.Sandhu
3rd May 2010, 06:54
i have a ICAO CPL issued in philippines.I have a total flying time of 825 hrs out of which 580 hrs are on PA-23-250 and i am very much interested in doing job in africa as my company closed its operation can any one plz help me get a job there
will be very greatfull to u all thank u

nastynik
5th May 2010, 06:49
Tomcat has answered your questions pretty much, You have the correct amount of hours and if you weigh very little ie 50 or 60 kgs Scenic Air would probably be very interested in you as they like pilots that are as light as a feather !!!

I know they are doing interviews at the moment as a Buddy of mine went on the 3-5-10 with a TT of about 325hrs, again he is built like a racing snake !!!

Cheers

chileno 777
3rd Jun 2010, 16:34
Bush Bird - Stellenangebote (http://www.bush-bird.de/flieger___jobs.html)

good luck:ok:

Csanad007
3rd Jun 2010, 19:30
Well, this is always there on the site.

5Z4
11th Jun 2010, 18:23
Bush bird has actually hired a pilot last week.

Scenic has hired 3 in the last 2 months.

Noticed MKA742 blog has re-opened !!

Csanad007
13th Jun 2010, 09:01
Me the Bush Bird :ok:

chairome
22nd Jun 2010, 15:07
Hi everybody,
I've been coming back to check on this topic for some time now. I would like to make the best of my situation by doing a year of flying out in Africa. I know you won't get hired unless you show up, but is it even worth considering in July?
Thanks for the help.

Csanad007
22nd Jun 2010, 17:27
Might be worth trying Namibia or Tanzania

CCUaviator
19th Jul 2010, 15:42
I hold a Canadian license with 250 hrs. I am planning to go down to Bots and Nam this year end. Can anyone advise me a time to be there. I have gone through all the posts and threads but am still confused. Am planning to be there for abt 3 months.

Thanks in advance
Cheers:ok:

Alexander87
20th Jul 2010, 12:25
Hi to everyone!!!!
I read all this threads,absolutely usefull and interesting,but I get confused and I have one more question:

BBN RADAR accurately said that emailing cv's quite useless.
So,going there should be the best way to get hired..

Well,my question is....once I'll be there,interviewed by the proper personnel etc...,how long do I need to stay there,waiting to get hired or not????
I mean,do they hire sending responses by email,or they need the candidates to stay there around the corner for an immediate response?

I hope I' ve been clear enough explaining my doubt,and sorry for my english not so perfect!

Thanks a lot!:ok:

Regards,

Alexander

Alexander87
21st Jul 2010, 12:55
Please,an important question about Africa:

What about malaria?
On these posts I've never read anything about this little problem.
Any suggestion?

Thanks

Jumbo744
21st Jul 2010, 14:35
don't worry too much about malaria. just take the medications when you have the symptoms....i have lived in Africa and used to get it every year.

Alexander87
21st Jul 2010, 17:02

Alexander87
8th Oct 2010, 10:00
Hi everybody!
Any suggestions about a cheap place to live in Maun?

Thanks!:ok:

Csanad007
8th Oct 2010, 16:58
Alex go for Audi Camp, tell them you are a pilot when you check in. Have your own tent and sleeping bag thou!

Alexander87
9th Oct 2010, 13:20
Thanks Csanad,much appreciated!:ok:

johnboyy2g
15th Jan 2011, 19:02
Hi, new to the forum, I am also have a newly ticketed CPL. I am here in the states, and attended a part 141 school, that means the FAA holds the school and the pilots to higher standards. Thus, I have only 190 hrs total time and I also hold an IR.

Could you tell me if I have a chance of getting hired in Bot or better Nam? Willing to come and pound the pavement if I have a chance.

Also, I noticed several pilots commenting on getting rated to fly a C210. WHY? Here in the states to fly anything over 200hp you need only get a hi performance endorsement. Is this what they are refering too? I actually already got my hi performance endorsement in a C182RG WITH TURBO.

Please help me out with info.....and thanks
John

lilflyboy262
16th Jan 2011, 11:27
Johnboyy2g

Before you take the leap to pound the pavement, (which you HAVE to do, you will NOT get hired by staying where you are) I suggest you take the time to read the forums throughly of the threads that have already been posted here as they will answer all of your questions. Remember, a lot of licences around the world are different to the holy FAA licence.

johnboyy2g
16th Jan 2011, 14:16
I read the forum and I saw where several posts were hinting that min hours maybe on the way up to 400 or 500TT. Since I don't have anywhere near that, there is no need to fly over if those are now the min required. I am asking for an update from people in the know about this.

Also, I realize that each country does set its own rules, but most countries copy FAA regulations and requirements since the FAA is the Granddaddy of all air operation government entities. Sometimes the FAA adds rules based on Euro regs. It is becoming an international standard, which in some ways would be really nice, take your license from one country to another and another and have it accepted without question.

So again, I ask, what is the deal about flying a c210? Is this just a hp requirement like the FAA hi performance endorsement requirement?

Wings23
16th Jan 2011, 14:38
The C210 on this side like all other single pistons is a seperate rating all together. Ie 206 and 210 are two different type rating endorsements in your log book.

darkroomsource
16th Jan 2011, 14:49
I read the forum and I saw where several posts were hinting that min hours maybe on the way up to 400 or 500TT. Since I don't have anywhere near that, there is no need to fly over if those are now the min required. I am asking for an update from people in the know about this.

Also, I realize that each country does set its own rules, but most countries copy FAA regulations and requirements since the FAA is the Granddaddy of all air operation government entities. Sometimes the FAA adds rules based on Euro regs. It is becoming an international standard, which in some ways would be really nice, take your license from one country to another and another and have it accepted without question.

So again, I ask, what is the deal about flying a c210? Is this just a hp requirement like the FAA hi performance endorsement requirement?

There's a LOT more to read, trust me.
Look for the Maun 2007 thread (or 2007-2008) and every season thereafter. Even the stuff way back to 2002 is good. There are thousands and thousands of posts. Take your time and read them. I guarantee you that ALL of your questions have been answered. (with the exception of who's there right now, because that changes every year)
And no, the mins have not increased, based on who's been hired this year so far. This question is covered many times in the previous threads.
As for ratings for C210, in southern Africa (and in much of the rest of the world) you have to have a "rating" for each and every make/model you fly. Again, if you read the threads, this particular question is covered at least a dozen times. And how to get that C210 rating is also covered.

johnboyy2g
16th Jan 2011, 15:11
Thank you, your post was very helpful, glad to hear that hours have not been increased, I will have to sell some items, settle bills and get my flight booked, think I will head to Nam, sounds like I might like it better.

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Jan 2011, 15:41
If you're on a FAA ticket, just get some time on whichever type seems the most common where you're aiming to go. You'll require enough to convince employers and local CAA that you know what you're doing. Alternatively, just get the job and do the training and required paperwork on a local aircraft in order to satisfy the authorities. Time on type will happen as you normally require a few hours with a locally experienced pilot before being released to the line.

johnboyy2g
16th Jan 2011, 19:31
I guess I find it hard to think of c182, c206 c208 c210 as being types. As I mentioned in the US once you have a hi performance endorsement you can fly any HP SEL conventional gear you like. The exception being if you need to fly so high that you need an altitude endoresement as well. But, again, once you have that endorsement, you don't need another for high altitude.
At my flight school, all my training was done on C172 and C172RGs

darkroomsource
16th Jan 2011, 20:05
If you're on a FAA ticket, just get some time on whichever type seems the most common where you're aiming to go. You'll require enough to convince employers and local CAA that you know what you're doing. Alternatively, just get the job and do the training and required paperwork on a local aircraft in order to satisfy the authorities. Time on type will happen as you normally require a few hours with a locally experienced pilot before being released to the line.

From what I've heard, this might make you more marketable, but will not reduce the amount of time you have to spend in country flying that specific make/model. My understanding is that you have to have five hours make/model with a CAA instructor. Then you have to take a flight test, and that flight test is very similar to an actual CPL test.

I guess I find it hard to think of c182, c206 c208 c210 as being types. As I mentioned in the US once you have a hi performance endorsement you can fly any HP SEL conventional gear you like. The exception being if you need to fly so high that you need an altitude endoresement as well. But, again, once you have that endorsement, you don't need another for high altitude.
At my flight school, all my training was done on C172 and C172RGs

Every FBO I've ever wanted to rent from wanted me to take a check ride in make/model before I could rent. The more complex the plane, the longer the check ride seemed to be. Although I have the HP endorsement, acutally I have the grandfathered endorsement from 1992, and the FAA says I can fly anything SE up to 12,500, I can't walk into the local FBO and rent the DA40. The FBO (and it's unsurance company) wants at least 10 hours with their instructor in that make/model before I can rent it.
However at another FBO, the checkout in the 182 qualified me for the 152's.

So, here's a clue. There are differences in the laws regarding flying in Africa.
Here are a couple more.
There is no single engine commercial IFR in southern Africa.
Most PPL's can't fly at night in Africa - it's a seperate endorsement.
One of the things you have to do to fly commercial in Africa is get your license either validated or "converted". Both of which require written and practical tests.
You also have to have a Radio license, whereas in the US you don't need to have one.

Again, ALL of this is covered in the numerous threads about Botswana and Namibia. Search for one or all of the following:
Maun, Windhoek, Swakopmund, Botswana, Namibia
Additionally, there is great information about Zambia and Malawi although they are CURRENTLY requiring more hours. South Africa is also an options, but generally you have to be FROM South Africa to get a flying job IN South Africa.

(I could be wrong about any and all of this, but that would mean that a large number of people have published many false claims and documents, which would lead one to think that there is a major conspiracy to get pilots to fly to Botswana for some bizarre reason - maybe it's so that they will bring cans of hair spray with them)

Csanad007
16th Jan 2011, 21:05
Well, whatever you've read DO NOT bring hairspray to Nam!

darkroomsource
16th Jan 2011, 21:29
Well, whatever you've read DO NOT bring hairspray to Nam!

Yes, Csanad.
There is a fairly LONG thread about hairspray in Namibia...
Quite funny actually. I guess I should put one of those funny smiley things next to some of the things I write...
The thread goes into what you can use hairspray for, like turn those big hairy bugs all stiff...

Agus_85
18th Jan 2011, 11:38
Hello BBN RADAR! (http://www.pprune.org/members/91945-bbn-radar)

I am a spanish pilot with 250 flight hours more or less, who are thinking of going to Namibia to look for a work. I have spent much time collecting information from different forums and every time I find something new that disrupts what I had thought the day before .... In principle I have really wanted to move to Namibia, apart from the opportunities that you can find there as many people says online, I also attract other reasons but the main reason would be to find a job as a pilot ...
you are one of the persons who has provided more information, so I decided to ask you .... is truly a good decision to go to Namibia to find job? I do not mean if it is sure to found it or not, that is something separate, but really worth the risk? I've read here today about a list held in Namibia's government with the names of pilots unemployed in his country, and according to the people, the government requires companies to hire first those pilots, which makes the possibility of getting a job and a visa even more difficult .... this is true? because if it is like this, I think that the option of going there has lost some interest.
Apart of this.... if finally i decide to go, i will be there for the end of february, or the begining of march... do you think it is a good time to move there?? or you recomind me other time of the year??
And at the same time, i would like to ask you some questions about the country....
1) what is it about living there?? is it safety, or it is dangerous? i mean, because of the poverty that I imagine that should be there, will it lead to crimes caused by their own hunger?? (it is possible to be an stupid question but i prefer to make this stupid questions now, better than once that i get installed there!!)... I have read online that Namibia is not a pour country but i preffer to get sure!

2) What about the price of the life?? is it expensive, cheap, or more or less it is like in Europe?? food, transport, houses to rent.... and talking about this... can you tell me how to look for a house or a flat to rent there before moving to.... because i have only found webs to buy houses not to rent... or is it better to look for it once you arrive??

3) What about the visa?? do i have to obtain some visa to go there at the begining or it is not neccesary until you find a job? (if this was the case.... :S)

4) Wich city is the most interenting to go with the purpose of finding a job?? I have think in Windhoek, beecause being the capital i think that most of the companies will be set there.... but if you could inform me better it should be good for me.... what about Swakopmund?

5)What about the public transport?? taxi, bus, train?? i have seen that train services are not very good in the country....

6)One idea that i have is to move to Namibia (Windhoek) try to apply for a job there some time and then move to Botswana (Maun) to do the same if it was not satisfactory in the firs place.... what do you think about this? is it easy to move from one place to the other, or not??

7) What about to rent a car? or it is more intelligent to use public transport there?

thank you very much for everything before reciving your answer!! Sorry if some of the questions are a bit silly, but like i have told ou before, i preffer to know all these thing before moving there....

172driver
18th Jan 2011, 21:20
and it's unsurance company

Darkroom, this must be the typo of the month !! :D:D:D

ct2003
22nd Jan 2011, 13:25
@agus_85

Sorry, I don't want to be rude but it seems, see your questions, that you don't have a clue how life in African countries is. Do you think this is gonna be right for you then?

Agus_85
23rd Jan 2011, 14:20
@ ct2003

you are right!! i dont know too much about African Countries life.... thats why i have made the post if not i wouldn´t have done it... dont you think so?? I am just a person who has listen about this a month ago more or less... and never before had think about this posibility.... so i am beginning from 0!! i just want some help... the idea is just to get inform to see if it is something interesting or not at all.... but thinking of it for the next year 2012, because like you said... their too many things to learn about this.... i wrote that i was thinking of going their in february to generate some interest in someone to help me learning about it... so if you can.... i would be all hears!!
thank you!

darkroomsource
23rd Jan 2011, 15:24
So, Agus,
search PPrune for one or all of the following
Maun, Namibia, Botswana, Windhoek, Swakopmund, Gaberone
the threads go back to about 2002, and there are 2 or three threads for each year from then to now
there are thousands of posts (it will take you a long time to read it all), go through them all, there is far more information than you imagined you would ever need.
There's a thread, for example, that's everything you want to know about flying in Maun, by lilflyboy, it's an excellent STARTING point.
Then, go read the newspapers for the countries and cities you're thinking about. Then go read about the governments. Get involved in some other forums, there are several that are dedicated to Africa, and in particular African aviation.
Go to the library and get some books on Africa, and read them.
Check out the health statistics.
All of this stuff can be found through google, or the library.
I'm not going to give you a list of links, because this endevour should not be something "handed" to you, it wasn't handed to most of the pilots who are there now.
Good luck.

johnboyy2g
24th Jan 2011, 18:00
I PMd a pilot on here, he said he went to Africa and said not to come, that all the jobs were being offered to expats only if they had 500tt or more. The reason he said is because by requiring 500 hrs the operators could say they could not find any native pilots who qualify, so the 500 hr was being used as justification to not hire a native, or at least not search forever to find one with low hours,so raise the hours and say there is no one native that qualifies.

I have PMd him twice asking for additional information like, which country. How long did he stay etc. but no response.:ugh:

Anyone weigh in on this, I am interested in Namibia myself...

Anyone? Anyone?

somatiko
24th Jan 2011, 20:19
I do not think you can get a job with 190-250 without having a good contact just by knocking at the doors and showing your face. I would not try with less than 400 hours which is the minimum flight time required by Scenic air.
Aviation in Nam has also felt the impact of recession and there is not that many pilots moving on to the next jobs lately which means that you do not only need to considered that there are not that many jobs offered but you also need to compete at the moment with high experience guys who know how to fly a 210 and make miracles with a Leatherman;).
@ Csanad007 : have fun!!!

darkroomsource
24th Jan 2011, 22:50
I do not think you can get a job with 190-250 without having a good contact just by knocking at the doors and showing your face. I would not try with less than 400 hours which is the minimum flight time required by Scenic air.
Aviation in Nam has also felt the impact of recession and there is not that many pilots moving on to the next jobs lately which means that you do not only need to considered that there are not that many jobs offered but you also need to compete at the moment with high experience guys who know how to fly a 210 and make miracles with a Leathermanhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif.

Well that's a bummer.
I'll be there anyway on Saturday. Too late to change plans now.

Csanad007
25th Jan 2011, 07:49
Hola Somatiko, miss you man! Hope you have fun as well ans there isn't too cold. Just broke my Leatherman...
Things change fast at the moment, so those coming might end up in a 210, but will need perseverance.

Rihatz
25th Jan 2011, 10:50
First Post, so Hello Everyone!
I was wondering if the information in those older threads is still up to date?
There are threads recommended that date back to 2002.
So do todays questions get answered by those old threads?

Another question. What about bush flying courses? Will they do any good to get hired?

I'll get my licences around april or may this year and I planned to go to Namibia right when I'm finished with flight school here. But by then I figure hiring season will just be over.
So could you recommend me to go anyways? I'm thinking of building hours and getting some ratings in Namibia. Rather there than here in cold Germany, I think?

lilflyboy262
25th Jan 2011, 12:48
Speaking German helps.
Having low hours doesn't.

Again, all info is on here.

Rihatz
25th Jan 2011, 13:52
What about 5 year old infos on here? Times are changing fast and people who are down there now could give more up to date information.

I was thinking reading those old threads might give me information that is long overdue?

Propellerpilot
25th Jan 2011, 17:03
No - nothing fundamental has changed there in all this time - the processes and hiring procedure is always the same - it's still the same companies and people running the show.

Obviously all the other variables also move in cycles (like everywhere else on the planet) - like the whole economy - if there are many pilots, requirements to fulfill on your part will go up, if there are more saftey, immigration issues they will go up too. If there is a recession or the fuel price goes up - it influences everything. If someone quits and needs to be replaced, then chances go up, if not - tough luck for you.

If you want information - read ALL the old threads first - please.:ok:

soakingpilot
1st Mar 2011, 07:06
Just hit Namibia. :uhoh:

aamerena
10th Mar 2011, 09:10
Hi everyone!

I'll arrive in Windhoek next Wednesday. Looking like many others for a job.
What hostel do you recommend? I've a FAA CPL single and multi with an IR and 270 TT

Who is already there? Please PM me.

Thanks and a good day everyone,

nastynik
10th Mar 2011, 09:21
Hi Antoni,

I would 100% recommend these people, the boss Jackie is very helpful.

Cheers

N

Rico 25
10th Mar 2011, 10:13
I have to agree with nastynik about chameleon-stayed for about a week although this was a couple of years ago. Smart and clean rooms but you have the option of using a tent if need be. It has an outdoor breakfast bar and there is also a swimming pool if you want to take a dip. Alternatively they also have a room with bunk beds if you're on a tight budget and don't mind sharing with others. You are also located close to the shopping centre and this is about a 5 or 10 minute walk (just take care at night). Windhoek is a small but modern city-very different to other parts of Africa.

Good luck!

Rico

Kowalsiu
10th Mar 2011, 15:42
Hello everyone!
This is my 1st post on pprune and I'd like to introduce shortly myself to everybody! Thanks for this really huge and precious amount of info stated throughout all those years covering low-timers job opportunities in southern Africa.

My question for now is:

Is there anyone having any fresh information of hiring situation in 2011 in southern Africa? Maybe Csanad? (BTW, I love your blog, man! And really congrats that you've finally made it!)

launchpad74
14th Mar 2011, 20:45
Wings over Africa are the dogs of Namibian Aviation. They pay bad and treat you like crap. They must have the highest rotation of crew i've ever seen. I was one of them . .Bad safety record and also nearly had their licence taken away several times. Only a few stuck it out and walked away with twin or jet ratings.
stay away . . . .!!! Nothing against women in any capacity, but the one running the show there has a serious chip on her shoulder. . . . I left due to safety concerns (for my own life) due to bad maintenance.

Torry123
12th Jun 2011, 21:14
Thanks for all the great info, I plan to visit Namibia this fall!

flyinglion29
13th Jun 2011, 06:40
Hi everybody,

Just for info the 400 h is just not true...
I have been looking for a job in Jan and never my 300 hours came as a problem.
In Swakop it was more about not speaking German.
And don't go to Swaop office of Scenic,wings over and other comp. having an office in windhoek they will just tell you to go to the Windhoek office...

For the 210 rating they don't care.. if you are hired you can do the rating here. So don't waist money on 210 time or 206.

I did time on 206 for Botswana and landed with a job in Nam on 210 and have to do the rating on the 210 now...

And I know 3 or 4 pilots hired in Nam with less than 300h...

For the "Native list" it is true, the company have to hire a native pilot before any other if he is looking for a job. But most of them don't want to fly small a/c...

And for the e-mail CV.. they don't look at them you have to come here and be prepared to stay for minimum two to three weeks for Nam and reaaaaly longer for Botswana most of the pilots I met in Bots where there for more than 3 month already and still no job...

For all other info you will find it in the forum, it is a mine of info.:ok:

And if you decide to come, take it as a holiday and enjoye it so if you don't find a job you enjoyed the time here !

duncanidaho50
15th Dec 2011, 09:51
I was thinking on doing 5 hours before flying down there th 10th of Jan.
Now I´m not sure.. If I fly the 5 hours , I will still have to get checked out with an examiner?

propcowboy
15th Dec 2011, 12:01
yes, you need to do a license validation or conversion and part of this you need to fly with an examiner, usually on the type that the company flies, say 210. and if you do not have more then 300 TT then you'll need to do an ifr checkride as well.

arman737ng
17th Dec 2011, 17:24
hi all,
Just out of interest has anyone seen any indian, pakistani or bangladeshi bush pilots flying in bots/nam/tanzania... Not trying to raise any racial issue but what i've heard pilots from those part dont get employed coz its impossible to get work permit on them passports.. Any info regarding dis issue would be very helpfull..

lilflyboy262...2
18th Dec 2011, 02:22
pleanty of info on this website regarding this issue.

arman737ng
18th Dec 2011, 08:37
think i've missed them.. Any links would be a great hlp...

duncanidaho50
18th Dec 2011, 12:42
Regarding the rating on 210-206 some people say i should get it before flying down there, others say I shouldnt. I know i´m going to need to get checked out with an instructor but will having the rating help me get the job? As an example West air says on its web you need the rating to apply.

Next question: I have 1000TT with 400ME mainly on Baron (SAR operation), I talked to some people that told me to forget Namibia and go to other countrys since they are only hiering expats to fly 210/206, also he said that know the sortage of pilots in this country is not such.
Other told me to go there since there are more ME jobs.. My idea was to get into a ME after flying sometime in the 210 but a friend with more than 1600TT mainly on 210 flying in Namibia told me that even knowing lots of people he was unable to advance to a ME. With my experience, should I try or its just not worth it?

I am interested in all the southern countrys operators that fly Baron, I have a big list but I´m sure I am missing some, any help would be good.

thanks

propcowboy
18th Dec 2011, 13:13
Cabron, with those hours why not try Tanzania?
And sure, the other cabron was trying his best to get into a company that has some other types than 210's and was unable. He's surely considering Tanz.

nitrak
18th Dec 2011, 22:30
Good day, very interating thread. Thank you for all , it was nice , very interesting reading for me because, I also planing to visit botswana and namibia.

I have a bit curious question... I wold like to ask If I can do rating on pressurized 210 (P210)? Its still same type of ACFT (I know that, in Namibia they use unpressurizated 210s )and will be recognized in Namibia to me this rating ? :rolleyes: Its pretty expensive to fly on P210 in my Country (about 330euros) su I just want to have certainty . :ok::ok:

Thanks for reply

propcowboy
19th Dec 2011, 07:55
Ahoj, I'd say save the money for staying longer in Africa. It won't give you such a big advantage if it gives you any. But to answer the question, if you get time on the 210 it doesn't really matter what 210 it is.
Veľa šťastia

flyinglion29
19th Dec 2011, 09:04
Does one of the companies even have a pressurised 210? That would be the real question ... And be sure it won't make any difference for your job hunting so save your money.

MKA742
29th Dec 2011, 21:34
Never heared of a C210P in Namibia... Getting 'time' is useless indeed.

Some have done bush flying course in SA before going up, not sure if it helped them... But if you don't get a job out of your trip, definately worth it (i think)!

I'm making a movie about my experiences in 2009 - 2010. Just a preview now but hang on...

Movie Namibia - YouTube

Gud luck

SKamit
30th Dec 2011, 11:21
lilflyboy, I know it's been a while but once upon a time you wrote this:
Ronand, Im going there for 4-5 months, taking around 10k NZD with me, that includes my airfares there.
Thats a bit of a guide for ya. Plan a worst case senario and how comfortable you want to live.

Now that you have tried it you must know. If I just act acording to your essential guide to Maun (I'm a big fan of it btw) will this amount of money then be sufficient for the entire stay?

Happy new year everyone :ok:

JaimeDias
6th Jan 2012, 18:17
hey guys, I am heading to Windhoek next week, anyone in the same situation or already there?

billyballo
8th Jan 2012, 23:51
hi, anybody knows about work visa ??? i heard that new goverment law says that no work visa are delivered for foreigners pilots ! i hope that its not true
if anyboy knows about it please post some news

cheers

emlo
8th Jan 2013, 22:11
Hey everyone! Howzit?

I'm heading to WDH, arriving February the 8th, anyone there!?

Would be nice to have a beer at the Chameleon or Cardbox if ever I'm not late for the Norwegian girls... damn selective memory...

Happy ldgs!

iMac0960
10th Jan 2013, 16:36
I'll be arriving in Windhoek tomorrow afternoon. I'm staying at the Chameleon.

poni10
11th Feb 2013, 10:16
Maybe I'll be in Windhoek the first week of march! anyone will there?
I'm italian.:ok:

Malagant
18th Feb 2013, 06:39
I won't say Wings Over Africa are the dogs in Namibia, I worked there as one of the first pilots when they started, actually the first with the owner who also flew. They had worked their way up to one of the bigger companies in Nam. I have never been aware that maintanance was a issue, maybe the maintenance is just not up to standard sometime or there is just too much work for the AMO. I know for fact that acft were sent for maintenance, came back and was still not fixed, yet the AMO gets paid or they will not work on the acft again. As for the person in charge, just because she a woman many guys think they can walk over her, well then you making a big mistake, if you do your work for the 2 years or whatever your contract is for you will be treated fair, if you don't do what is required you will know about it, just like anywhere else. Office politics and all that is forgotten the moment you get into the machine and fly away on your safari, when you fly low level down Sossus or along the coast, when you see sunset as you turn final onto some bushstrip at the end of the day!!! You go there asking for a job so if you get it be happy that you got your foot in the door and just go and enjoy your flying. It is a learning curve/experience, you get to fly single crew, learn to make your own decisions and use your own judgement, you not flying multi crew like in Europe where if you get a job you sit right seat and learn from an experienced Capt. With low time in a 210 which is a handfull of a machine etc it stands to reason that there will be accidents or incidents and WOA is not the only company there that has accidents. With all their acft compared to a smaller company taking the amount of hours flown per accident their statistics are below the avarage. I have enjoyed my time with WOA and would go back and work for them anytime if I could get the same salary as now. Unfortunately their end of the business is geared towards the low time pilots with low pay. That is basically the structure of most of the companies in Nam and Bots, so wherever you get that first job, go for it..see the bigger picture and remember that this is just a step in your career towards whatever your main aim is, be it airlines or corporate, so forget about good company/bad company, you will find it everywhere, in charter, corporate and in airlines, make the most of it, once you regularly sitting at FL360 getting your butt chewed by some 150 year old airline Capt you will wish you stayed with the lady with the chip on her shoulder!!! Good luc and like I said, enjoy it..!:}

zebros512
25th Feb 2013, 14:18
Hi all,

I would like to know that it is possible to get a job now in Namibia with 200TT?

propcowboy
26th Feb 2013, 06:41
Well said Malagant, this is exactly what I usually say as well. Get there, get a job and you'll get experience and skills that you wouldn1t be able to grab anywhere else. Good luck!

zebros512
27th Feb 2013, 18:18
I know that I have to move there to find a job but I still don't know nothing about companies requirements? Things change quickly and it would be nice to know that my 200TT is enough for some companies. I don't want to go there and hear something like: "You don't have enough hours." It would be a waste of money.

zappalin
2nd Mar 2013, 10:22
I would like to know that it is possible to get a job now in Namibia with 200TT?Quick answer - it is not.
Under 300 hours in Namibia and you'll need an instrument rating as well. Over 300 and it's not really required straight away.
Even with your IR you have not much chance with 200, 250+ is about the real minimum. But you may get lucky!

pebar
8th Mar 2013, 14:06
Hi there,
Now I'm in Maun but next week I will move to Windhoek.
Could anybody tell me how it looks situation there (somebody told me, they hire only Nam. citizens and Germans or fluent german spaeking now) and where everybody stay? Cardboard or Chameleon?

Cheers friends ;)

fernandomoros
12th Mar 2013, 09:55
Im heading to Windhoek next week and thinking to stay in same place like everybody else.. Chameleon or Cardboard.. What is better?
Anyone could tell me how is the situation for low time pilots right now around there?

Thanks everyone and good luck.

pebar
13th Mar 2013, 18:15
It look's that everybody piss on us. I will move there on Monday 18th May.
I planing to stay in Chameleon, longer opened bar and own tent availaible camp.
See you soon friend.:ok:

fernandomoros
14th Mar 2013, 09:55
I will probably arrive there on sunday the 23th.
See you there then..

Katsuya sato
16th Mar 2013, 04:16
I have canadian CPL with instrument rating and Japanese CPL with Instrument rating. Now, I am looking for job. What I am thinking right now is that I am pnanning to visit Namibia in this June or July to see if I can get a job there. I tried to sant my resume by E-mail and Air mail but there are no reply at all mostly. One company gave me reply E-mail having said that only Namibian will be Accepted. Is there any possibility I can get job in Namibia If I visit company office and hand in resume in person. Last month, I just visited airlines office in Indonesia to see any job opportunity but I believe it has been failed so I am kaind of worry visiting Namibia.

PS:I am Japanese and 29 years old. I have 420 hour's flight time.

Thank you for taking your time to read through my message.

Papa Lima Sierra
20th Mar 2013, 10:19
The only way is to go there and give it a shot buddy. No other way around it! You have to take the risk.

indaloamman
20th Mar 2013, 12:36
Sato-san, PLS is of course correct--you will have to take the chance and visit in person. Here is something to think about: you will probably be the only Japanese-speaking pilot, which will be a big advantage for companies which handle Japanese PAX. Or the Japanese Embassy or JICA. Face it, the whole idea of small aircraft is completely alien to nihonjin. You would be able to explain everything to them in Japanese and give them information and confidence they would not get otherwise and this will be an important part of their experience. You can arrange with your company for bento boxes for the Japanese visitors--they will love that, tell their friends, and maybe your company will get more business. Gambatte!

Katsuya sato
21st Mar 2013, 03:19
Thank you for your kind reply!
Your reply help me a lot!

Katsuya

JosPon
23rd Apr 2013, 10:17
Hey folks! I'm heading to windhoek next 9th of may! Still i have no booked any hostel! But I've checked the backpacker ! So u will get another one running around! I hope I'll meet u up once there!

CU-APA
28th Apr 2013, 09:00
Hi guys! i would like to make this question if anyone can help me, in Argentina your TT start after you get de PPL, so we dont have in our logbook the first 40hs. It's the same in Europe & USA? I woundering if i could validate my license plus this 40hs in Namibia.

Jacaranda
2nd May 2013, 20:07
In South Africa you start logging your hours as soon as you start training for a PPL, Pretty sure it's the same in Nam? Don't hold me to it though :O

CU-APA
19th Aug 2013, 09:48
Anyone knows anything about this new minimun TT to fly in namibia?

ellafliestheskies
19th Aug 2013, 18:41
Just curious...I have 3000hrs on the RJ...is it really stupid to give up an airline job for this adventure? Sounds so tempting :-) I've been looking for options for months now, never really considered Africa but I'm a travel addict and I can't seem to get my fix now that I have to comply to my employers wishes. Namibia sounds ace!
Basically I need a break from the airline business.

discostou
20th Aug 2013, 07:24
Does anybody know if the new minimim TT of 800 hours only applies to wilderness air? Or is it a governement measure?

thanks.

CU-APA
20th Aug 2013, 20:44
Just for wilderness air

4runner
20th Aug 2013, 23:58
Dude, I hate to be a jerk....buuuttttttt....If you're already tired of the airlines after 300 hours in an RJ, I'm not sure that a major change of scenery is really the issue. Also, if you're in Europe and you have a job flying and get paid for it instead of paying for it, keep it. There's thousands that would jump all over it if you don't want it. I have a former student of mine who has his FAA, JAA and international corporate jet time that will take you position, gladly. PM if you'll send his cv in, seriously. I'll put my professional credibility on the line for him.

4runner
21st Aug 2013, 00:00
Sorry, thought it was 300 and not 3000 hours. Yeah, I was sick of it after 3000 hours in a RJ too. Sorry!!! But I am serious about my former student. Fantastic guy, good stick, let me know if you're hiring. He speaks fluent French, English, Spanish and has flown all over the world.

ellafliestheskies
24th Aug 2013, 18:33
Unfortunately we are far far from hiring, on the contrary...and just to be correct, I'm not at all sick of the RJ itself, I think at least it's a real plane and it's not boring to fly it at all, it's just that I'd like to take a break for a while, just to get some fresh air ;) I'm a bit of a gypsy really and if I could fly it out of say NY, Bangkok or Buenos Aires I would be dead-happy! Just looking for adventure, and Airbus doesn't really sound like adventure to me...

sam92
7th Nov 2013, 10:22
Hey everyone!!

I have read this thread with interest and I am seriously considering visiting Namibia in the New Year. Is it true that the best time to go is Jan-Mar time?
I am in my early twenties and have an EASA CPL/MEP/IR with 200hrs TT is this realistic to get a low-time job over there?

My SEP has expired I assume it will be necessary to have this renewed before going?

Any advice on the current situation and any more stories I would love to hear them! Anyone can PM be most grateful.

CU-APA
26th Dec 2013, 05:30
Hey guys, i will reply!!

No is not true.
No is not realistic
No is not necessary

sr22hm
28th Feb 2014, 20:18
Hi,

I will like to know if anyone has fresh info about job hunting in Windhoek ?

Thanks !

CU-APA
1st Mar 2014, 03:57
Hi, most of the companies hire pilots in december and january. Nothing here for now.

James331
4th Mar 2014, 07:28
Are ether of you two in Namibia right now?

JS32
21st Mar 2014, 01:10
Hello to all.

Thanks for waste your time on me

This is the point I planned to arrived in NAM in April for try to get a job there.
Now I hace 620 hours TT and C206 rating and there I will do the C210 rating.

How is the expectative there for this year?

thansk and sorry.

James331
21st Mar 2014, 08:17
Not much going on right now in namibia, might want to try bots first, especially with that 206 rating.

JS32
21st Mar 2014, 15:57
Not much going on right now in namibia, might want to try bots first, especially with that 206 rating.

You lives in NNAM? can we talk by PM?

I want to try in namibia because I like the country the airplanes and ther I'll do the C210 rating for try to get a job because here in my country there isnt any 210 aircraft

Sorry again for waste the time on me

ChickenHouse
22nd Mar 2014, 15:30
And now for something almost completely different ...

I was thinking to go to Namibia hang out for a while. I happen to be rookie with only 200+h, but with one big difference - due to heritage I do own a 206 and some money to keep me and MajaBee alive for quite a while. Will that be an advantage or will I be ripped off by the maintenance organizations there? Any idea how long I could stay without local validation?

JS32
22nd Mar 2014, 16:22
I was thinking to go to Namibia hang out for a while

When are you planning go to NAM? If you want I can help you to down the 206 to NAM or Bots?

Noah91
31st Mar 2014, 19:34
I've been reading over this forum over the last year or two, finally joined. I'm very interested in the region particularly Namibia and Botswana, but how much attention should I give to the minimum required hours since the companies are increasing the hours for foreigners. And with supposed numbers of locals starting flight training on the increase, is it worth the trip for the foreigner?

Im up for possibly sleeping in a tent in intense heat, and spending days knocking on doors and shaking hands and willing to accept a lot of rejection but, as of right now, what are the conditions and outlooks like?

James331
9th Apr 2014, 12:26
In Namibia, poor. No one is hiring at all.

Maybe Bots?

If you have over 1000tt and time on a van, TZ

Otherwise just fly back home, it's easier to find a job in the US (presuming you're an American) anyway

Noah91
12th Apr 2014, 01:19
Yep I was born in the US, raised in the Caribbean. I've been interested in the area but don't want to spend thousands on a ticket just find out there's absolutely no hiring for a good while.

darkroomsource
14th Apr 2014, 10:49
There's the rub.
If you go, and there's no hiring, you're out the cost of the trip, but have the holiday/vacation of a lifetime.
If you don't go, and they start hiring, you can't get there fast enough to be hired, because they've already interviewed everyone they're going to consider.
What I saw was the hiring happens across all companies at about the same time. So if you miss it, you miss it. Get there too early, you miss it, get there too late, you miss it.

0wl
22nd Apr 2014, 11:55
Anybody who has a clue

Are there any <200h TT people that got hired (or failed trying) in Nam or Bots through the last year?

James331
22nd Apr 2014, 20:47
Few failed, last guy hired had a little over 500hrs.

Keep in mind it's not the hours it's how much chit you'll deal with. You stick it out there long enough and smooze the other pilots you'll eventually get it. Might be 5-6 months.

Getting some PIC time in the 210 or 206 will save you some money

tomcat_pilot
29th Apr 2014, 19:05
Hi all dear
I am from Iran
I hold cpl& it& instructor rating issued from iran.and 900 TT .can I find flight job at namibia or Botswana??! Plz help me.
Thanks

CAPSLOCK.1
30th Apr 2014, 08:45
Hi,

I just joined this forum because the misinformation being supplied in the replies annoyed me. I'm sitting at a lodge, bored, so I thought I would reply and try and clarify things.

Firstly, I have been in Namibia now since 2011. Got a job here with 200 hours (roughly).

It is very hard these days to get work permits/visas with less than 500 hours TT. I waited months for mine to come through. There was a guy in Swakop recently who got hired, did training, test flight with DFE and everything and the DCA refused to issue him a validation. That being said, I know of two other pilots that were issued with work permits and full licences almost immediately. (One with low hours.)

James331 said that nobody is hiring here. To those reading this thread take that with a pinch of salt. There is constant movement here. I know of at least 6 guys who have started in the last 2 months. People are always leaving, moving on up, getting fired, need to be replaced.

It is all about being in the right place at the right time. Coming here is a gamble.

Being fluent in German is an advantage, especially in Swakop. The operators have to hire Namibian candidates first, after that they can begin to look at foreigners. If you want to get a job here with 200 hours as a foreigner, your CV has to be spectacular in other regards, and you have to immediately come across as the right candidate. Inquiring about work using text speech is not the correct approach.

Even if you are in the right place at the right time and you come across as a d*ck, you won't get hired.

Unlike Botswana, the operators here won't expect you to hang around and constantly visit them. On the contrary, they will get very annoyed with you.

Visit, drop off your CV, (Phone ahead of time to find out when will be good), then visit Botswana and check things out there.

PM me if you have questions.

James331
20th May 2014, 22:11
In my experience it didn't have anything to do with your CV and I never even had anyone ask to see my log book.

It's
1) stick around for someone to get fired, quit or be upgraded

2) roll with the punches, and just keep smiling and be nice

3) go to every bar or party and become every pilots BFF, as per not being a d1ck -> NEVER talk about your prior flying experience (if you have had other jobs) just ask about theirs or talk about non-aviation stuff

4) keep your cell phone on and check your email, do the rounds once a week or so.

I can't give any updated advise as I left a month ago for a job outside of Africa. All that being said it's a AWSOME place (mainly swakop and the smaller areas outside of Windhoek), for the most part the people are nice, the meat and drinks are great and cheap and there is a ton to do if you're into hiking, hunting, skydiving or anything like that.

AGAIN, the biggest advantage that WILL land you a job, be able to stay here for 5-6 months non stop.

CAPSLOCK.1
22nd May 2014, 06:19
"AGAIN, the biggest advantage that WILL land you a job, be able to stay here for 5-6 months non stop."

This applies to Botswana and not Namibia.

"do the rounds once a week or so."

Again, as I said earlier, this applies in Bots, but just annoys the operators in Namibia. Repeatedly popping in annoys most the operators. If they told you the previous week that they do not need anybody and they have your CV on file, repeatedly popping in isn't going to change their minds.

To anyone reading this, I would suggest you take the advice of someone working in Namibia over the advice of someone who failed to get a job though.

To be fair to James though, his hours were all wrong. If an operator here is going to high someone with a few thousand hours, a thousand or so on vans and FI time, they will hire someone with local experience.

James331
22nd May 2014, 19:36
Not too sure I would say I failed, I was only there for 1.5 months and left early due to a job offer back home that I couldn't turn down. I could have for sure got a job over there had I put the time in, just was a decision on my part.

My opinion was based on my observation while I was over there.

I'm sure we all can agree that the longer one sticks around the more chance of being in the right place at the right time, case and point I had a offer in TZ shortly after I left for my current job.

And yeah, my hours were wrong for Namibia and Bots, I should have went straight to TZ, but then I wouldn't have been able to take my current job, things always work out the way they are ment to ;)

So where did we meet CAPS?

CAPSLOCK.1
25th May 2014, 15:23
Oh no, I don't think we ever met. Just saw your CV, and this town is small so people talk. Also, had a good laugh at that little spat with the owner of Wings on Facebook. That really was quite amusing.

I can agree with the waiting around improves the chance of being in the right place at the right time. But as I continually say that applies more to Botswana then here.

All the companies that have hired in the last two months, Westair, Wings, Scenic and Wilderness all host interviews based on CV's and references, not whether the guy was in town or not.

Botswana is different.

And, if you got an offer in TZ shortly after you left for your current job, that just supports my point that they didn't expect you to be hanging around in TZ as a prerequisite.

Alfred76
2nd Jun 2014, 14:38
Hi guys

I know that no one in Namibia or Botswana replies on e-mails, but still, I sent them all my CV. One of them from Namibia replied and said to me that the requirements for any employment before any interview in Namibia is:

Safety Officer Course,
Cockpit Resource Management Course ( CRM ),
Dangerous Goods Course,
Quality Assurance Courses,
25 Hrs on Cessna 210 Type Rated

To be honest with you I have never heard of some of these courses like the quality assurance courses!!!! I really wondered if he was kidding in the beginning, but obviously he wasn't!! Are these really requirements in Namibia?

I want to go to either Botswana or Namibia, I only have 260 hours without any type rating 206 or 210. I think i should have the type rating before moving if i'm not wrong.....It feels like i don't know where to start. It is all blocked everywhere!!

CAPSLOCK.1
2nd Jun 2014, 21:12
Hey,

I'll PM you, it's very strange that they want you to have Safety Officer Course or Quality Assurance. I can only think of one company that would want someone with no time to have a Safety Officer course.. Check your inbox.

Alfred76
3rd Jun 2014, 09:16
Hey,

I checked the inbox and replied. And yes it was the company you named :) The first thing I thought about is that maybe he said so caus he doesn't want me to contact them anymore! it is like saying go away in a polite way!

darkroomsource
4th Jun 2014, 15:05
showing up at the office won't get you any better information
if they have a job available, AND they don't have any locals who have applied, then you MIGHT get an honest answer to your questions, but that's only a maybe.
From my experience, you will only get a valid answer when they have a need, and you fit the need, and you're in front of their face.

CAPSLOCK.1
4th Jun 2014, 21:17
Wilderness hires Namibians first, then pilots from other countries which have already spent time working in Namibia.

Otherwise, German is a huge advantage, especially in Swakopmund.

Also, there is no right/wrong answer. The situation, and more importantly the opinions regarding vacancies, visas, licences is always changing, so what might be correct information for one company can be wrong for the next and then be completely different the next day.

El_Instructor
7th Jul 2014, 20:32
Hey mates;

I always read this forum (3 years or plus), but this is my first post.

I'm thinking to move and try some flying time in Africa (CFI, IR, CPL 600+ hours and a few Single engine turbine time, Walter powered), the living conditions are quite similar (as I know) to a border city in the desert of my country which I lived some time and was a great place (so no problem for that, the problem is no aviation jobs there), and bush flying here is out of question.

But after make the next step, I'm now making some courses of CRM/ SMS/ Risk analysis and I did Human Factors courses all certificated by our national authorities (diplome). The big question is; worth the effort?, it can make a difference?, IMHO a pilot could be a asset to the development of the company with the right knowledge (and knowledge is less expensive than ratings) and cooperation spirit, but don't know if these courses are asked or are even desired.

Also, how much is the cost of a 210 rating at Namibia?, here isn't a rating and a CFI endorsement could cost up to 1500 USD (c210 hour cost between 200 - 400 USD).

Best Regards, and thanks.

pimpollo320
4th Oct 2014, 22:59
Hello guys,
Next month Im going to Africa looking for a job but I'm not sure which place will be better for find a job, Maun or Windhoek.
Anyone is going there too?
Regards

poni10
16th Oct 2014, 15:34
Hi guys,

just a quick question...how is the hiring situation now in WDH? I have done 10hrs in a C210 here in Italy...I hope that they can help me to find an opportunity.

safe landings to everybody

CAPSLOCK.1
17th Oct 2014, 20:12
WDH is Hosea Kutako International Airport.

There are no charter companies hiring there.....

You might have better luck at ERS. Nice try though.

lilflyboy262...2
18th Oct 2014, 02:38
Lmao Caps! Play nice mate!

pilot4eva
16th Feb 2015, 08:20
Pleasure Flights and Safari's are hiring Charter Pilots:
Requirements:
CPL with current Class One Medical
Level 5 Language Proficient
SEPT/CRM/DG
and 25 hours on C210(no exceptions)

Zanna90
24th Feb 2015, 23:13
Hey guys....

So in namibia you still stand a chance with a cpl with 200+ hours ? :o
What are the ratings that can make the difference? Night vfr or floats are good there?
Also, in case, is it advisable to get those ratings there ?
Cheers

Zanna90
24th Feb 2015, 23:22
I mean, price and quality wise, woud it be better to get trained over there or in south africa ?

pilot4eva
26th Feb 2015, 08:47
They prefer over 300TT but can make exception!You would need the rating to appear on your license before you get the job and you need about 25 hours on type.The rating which is essential is C210.Most new comers start on that.

I have received lots of PM's asking me how to apply.I am not a part of Pleasure Flights and Safari's.Please call them up and ask the details.I am just another low hour pilot.I found this job on a job site and posted it here.All the best:ok:

Zanna90
27th Feb 2015, 23:39
Thanks pilot4eva ! do you or anybody know the hourly cost of a 210 over there?

nibbio86
28th Feb 2015, 01:09
Zanna90, if you're in New South Wales I know of a cheap C210 to rent, albeit it's an old A variant. There are a few differences between it and the "newer" variants that you find bush flying in Northern Australia or Namibia but nothing that a good read of the POH and a handful of circuits wouldn't sort out.

p.s. I'm not the owner and don't gain anything from it, I did 10 hours in it myself before I went job hunting in tropical OZ back in 2008.

CAPSLOCK.1
1st Mar 2015, 17:49
Hey guys....

So in namibia you still stand a chance with a cpl with 200+ hours ? :o
What are the ratings that can make the difference? Night vfr or floats are good there?
Also, in case, is it advisable to get those ratings there ?
Cheers

Yes, float time will definitely help you get a job in one of the oldest deserts in the world.

rmball
4th Mar 2015, 02:17
Yes, float time will definitely help you get a job in one of the oldest deserts in the world.

Well if you can snowboard down the sand dunes in Namibia, maybe you can land a floatplane there too...:}

Zanna90
5th Mar 2015, 23:39
well maybe they got some ponds, and Namibia is touched by the sea :{

By the way.... anybody knows whats the average cost up there for an hour on a 210?

Tomramx
12th Mar 2015, 12:20
The minimums are 400-600 tt, c210rating + some hours more, but Namibians have preference, after Namibians South Africans are preferred because there are lots of them, even as Chief Pilots.
So, there is no way for other nationalities.
That’s all folks!

Mike_Harrison
26th Mar 2015, 18:04
So there are no chances for expats now?

James331
30th Mar 2015, 12:16
I doubt that, and if that's the case just wait till they need folks, rules will change.

3wickets
2nd Apr 2015, 03:04
Hey Guys,

Anyone got any plans of heading to Namibia later this year or early next year?

Doesn't seem to be a huge number of people currently having a crack at Namibia.

Kryukov
9th Apr 2015, 16:36
Hi Everyone,I am russian pilot with faa cpl ,TT about 550 hours,I fly Cessna 208 Caravan and I am thinking of going to Africa to find job. What advice can you give me in my situation? Does anybody know about an average salary and how many hours per month you can fly? Thanks

lilflyboy262...2
11th Apr 2015, 05:02
Stay on the van a little bit longer where you are and get to 1000hrs, then come to africa.
You will have more of a chance throughout all of southern africa.

Kryukov
11th Apr 2015, 05:48
Thanks for the reply! And what is an average salary in Africa for example on Caravan?

LowLevelAviator
23rd Apr 2015, 19:18
Dear Kryukov,
What I'm stating here is just from what I heard from the guys flying there.
They say in peak season you can expect something around 80-100 hours a month while in low season 40 hours is even too high. (Just words I heard).
When my instructor moved there he told us starting salary was around $1000 but with overnights and other things, it would go up to $1500 a month. Fair enough he started on a C210.
Like I said earlier, just words I heard from people flying there. But you never know until you go fly there yourself.

klasman
25th Aug 2015, 15:05
Hi BBN Radar!

First i'd like to thank you for your informative post here on PPRuNe.
I have booked a ticket to Namibia in December with hopes of getting a job offer. I've found some companies that i'm planing to visit and hand in my CV.
I was hoping I could get the chance to speak with some companies, but I don't know who's the best person to ask for? Do I want to talk to the owner of the company or is it better to talk to the chief pilots?

Regards,
Mattias

jacquessj
10th Sep 2015, 20:36
Hi man, where are you now? Im planning to go to Namibia and Botswana.

Etropi
15th Sep 2015, 12:45
Thanks BBN Radar :D

EmonAzzameen
18th Sep 2015, 12:54
A little update for Namibia

There is no minimum hour restriction from the government or DCA side.
Have seen plenty of 200-300 hr guys getting employed. Only restriction is that below 300 hrs a valid instrument rating is needed otherwise you are not
allowed to fly further than 50nm from the airport.

A C210 rating is advisable but not mandatory. If a company wants you the
rating can be done with one of the local flight schools. There is no minimum
hour requirement for the 210 to be considered as rated. Flight schools will
tell you that you need x amount of hours but that is bs.

Once employed you will have to pass an airlaw exam and a flight test to get
your foreign licence validated. The validation is bound to your visa eg if your
visa expires your validation expires and you have to apply for a new one by
paying a fee and handing in the application. No tests to be done anymore.

Your foreign licence wont be converted to a full namibian one unless you have about 700 hours and have been in the country for at least 3 years. But with contacts of course it might be possible.

Companies:

Desert Air: no chance unless you are a proper afrikaaner. might hire low hour pilots
Wings over Africa: hires low hour guys, german might be advantageous
West Air: only hires high hour pilots
Wilderness Air: will only be hiring high hour pilots from now on
Scenic Air: will hire low hour pilots if needed
Pleasure Flights: will hire low hour pilots
Bush Bird (Sossusfly): hire low hour pilots but only if fluent in german. no exceptions
Eagle Eye Aviation: no infos

Some companies wont pay you until you are online. Others offer you at least a training salary.

Des.Vaisselles
10th Nov 2015, 12:24
Hi guys,

I am heading back to this beautifull place to try and get a job (like most of us). I was in Namibia and Bots last winter for a couple of months before scoring a job in Canada. I am looking for a friend with whoom I was job hunting last year. He got hired by Wings Over Africa as I left, if any of you work there or know the staff could you PM me for details.

A question about Bots: Last year the new labour protection laws made it impossible for anyone to get hired below 500TT however the Delta Air chief pilot told me that it was highly probable that they would come back to reasonable expectations.
Does anyone know wether the minimas are still the same or did it change again???

I am heading there early december and I would be happy to meet for a beer.

See you guys on the road and good hunting.

abezzi
13th Nov 2015, 20:44
500hrs still the rule down here! Your friend in Namibia is the austrian one?

lilflyboy262...2
14th Nov 2015, 07:12
Why would you leave Canada?! Or were you on the working holiday visa?

Fagior
15th Nov 2015, 23:35
There is no austrian working at wings at the moment...

They hired a few guys this year but they kept only one ...

Des.Vaisselles
17th Nov 2015, 09:43
No he is from Hungary but I just got news of him and he apparently got a job back in his home.
I left Canada because I was a meat bomber there and you don't meatbomb in winter, also because my visa expired and also because I am not a big fan of that place. I will still go back if I have to.

Des.Vaisselles
15th Dec 2015, 08:22
Anyone in Windhoek or Swakop looking for work right now?

fernandomoros
15th Dec 2015, 14:58
I am going to be there on january the 7th..
Are you planning to go?

Des.Vaisselles
16th Dec 2015, 08:35
I am already there, PM me when you get here.

3wickets
31st Dec 2015, 08:34
Hey Guys! Heading there in late January, tickets booked. Keen to chat to others making the journey :)

Atteboy
27th Jan 2016, 14:26
Hi guys, how is it looking out there?? Will be heading north in a week or two, any hope??

cessnalover
29th Jan 2016, 09:17
heyy,
Sorry if this is a little out of topic.Din't want to create another thread.What are the current salaries for new pilots joining companies in Central and southern africa?Is there a massive difference between countries?
thanks.

spaflyer
29th Jan 2016, 15:49
Hello! some months ago I created this website with overall general info about Botswana, but I would like to get also info of Namibia es it's also on the list of the trip, and hope the web will help others also!

Bush Africa | The dream to fly bush planes in Africa! (http://www.bushafrica.com)

If you have or believe there's missing info let me know please! :)

creaze
18th Feb 2016, 10:44
Hey everybody!

I'm considering going for a jobhunt in Namibia and neighboring countries. Any sense doing so with mere 235 TT?

Thanks.

SeaBriese
26th Feb 2016, 00:14
For those that have recently made the journey to Windhoek and have read all the previous posts on this and other threads; how well did the information you gathered here prepare you for your job hunting experience? :8
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Happy landings!

creaze
27th Feb 2016, 12:54
Hi,

Is anybody on this thread in Windhoek right now? What is up out there anyway? Anybody flying? Anybody hiring?

Anybody hiring expats?

I'd almost bought the ticket, when i got word that nobody hires expats in Namibia anymore these days. What was true two years ago does not work anymore. Can anybody comment on this?

flaps35
13th Mar 2016, 15:11
Hi

Is this silence before the storm? wake up guys.

Willem Mostert
13th Apr 2016, 18:58
Hi guys. Starting comm soon. Plan is on leaving next year this time for namibie. How are things looking over there this year job wise?

creaze
14th Apr 2016, 10:59
Have at least $3000 ready for type rating etc, when you come here. And plenty of patience.

All in all, if you can possibly find strength to not become commercial pilot, avoid this profession. We are sooooo abundant.

SeaBriese
16th Apr 2016, 15:34
Creaze,
Are you in Namibia now? Let us know about your experience.

creaze
20th Apr 2016, 08:00
Sea Briese, it's very quiet. Overall, what has already been discussed in this thread, still applies. The only weird thing i encountered were two guys that worked for different companies here for about 3/4 of a year and only managed to make 120h over this period. None of them did even reach 500TT. They left the country days ago.

darkroomsource
22nd Apr 2016, 11:02
9 months, 120 hours? I think we all know which company that was, and it's been that way for years. And it's stated elsewhere, so nothing new.

Des.Vaisselles
23rd Apr 2016, 08:57
Sea Brieze are you still around, did you get hired?

Des.Vaisselles
30th May 2016, 17:33
To be honnest I do not think the journalist knew much about aviation...
It might come from a good intention to accually point out some bad aviation sides in this country but it sure ends up looking like they just want to sell papers...

Aviation laws are flouted | Namibian Sun (http://www.namibiansun.com/accidents/aviation-laws-are-flouted.93993)

pilotpaul2017
13th Jan 2017, 10:19
Hi
Just arrived in Windhoek today with my girl,planing to travel a bit and eventually do some bush flying, any recommendations were to meet some fresh pilots or even pilots working here already?
I will start doing my rounds this days,are there any company's hiring?

Cheers

sr71bbc
10th Feb 2017, 13:20
Any companies,?? Well man you need hours now in this day and age , even Africa min 700 hours total time required to get visa anywhere in Africa sorry for bad news

3wickets
13th Feb 2017, 06:07
Was in Windhoek , this time last year....2 buddies got work with ~ 220hrs or so...They will take you , however Botswana wont have anything to do with you below 500hrs.

Des.Vaisselles
21st Feb 2017, 19:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-wfnPnnKlM

Kiloaranov
23rd Feb 2017, 12:58
Hey guys, I'm planning to arrive in Windhoek in the first week of April. Anyone keen to meet up?:)

Would you guys advise me to complete CRM and DG certificates before arriving? It isn't stated as a requirement on the Wilderness website?

theSOD
24th Feb 2017, 09:07
WAIR does it's own in-house training for DG and CRM

Drifting_slowly
25th Feb 2017, 20:08
Awesome vid Des.Vaisselles!
Kiloaranov, keen to meet up. Don't think it's as easy to get jobs anymore though, keeping my expectations low from what I've heard.

Pilotpaul, any luck?

P0onky
28th Feb 2017, 10:32
Friend of mine (local Namibian SACAA ME/IF rated) got told by companies in the Windhoek area that a C210 rating is required. They only want to talk about employment once rated on the 210....and that is an expensive rating in Namibia. Hourly rate he was quoted ~5.5k ZAR vs 2.9k ZAR with a local guy in Cape Town. Both wet.

Kiloaranov
26th Mar 2017, 08:19
Does anyone know how many hours on the C210 one needs to be considered "rated"?

Over here in Australia we don't have ratings for individual aircraft unless the aircraft requires a type rating. You need 5 hours to generally be endorsed on an aircraft.

Des.Vaisselles
26th Mar 2017, 10:30
you dont need much. As long as you have PIC time on the 210 you can be considered "rated".

P0onky
26th Mar 2017, 10:53
Same here Kilo. No PIC hour requirements to be considered rated. Only need to have the endorsement :ok:

Kiloaranov
26th Mar 2017, 14:46
Thanks very much Gents! I look forward to seeing you both there. I know I'm gonna be late for the season but the earliest I can arrive is the start of May.

Ksmith123
3rd Apr 2017, 02:19
Just wondering if anyone is in Namibia right now and knew how the prospects are looking for this season? I will be coming over around the end of May/early June. Also I was curious if anyone in Windhoek area possibly wanted to meet up around that time to chat! :)

Ipauli
5th Apr 2017, 23:41
I'm planning to head to Namibia. Do they hire CPL with multi IFR at 220TT ??

What's the minimum ?