PDA

View Full Version : Kenya airways

qefcao
10th Nov 2008, 14:52
There were a series of recent media reports (some of them citing IATA sources) concerning the safety of Kenya airways. WOULD YOU FLY KENYA AIRWAYS?

Doodlebug2
10th Nov 2008, 15:48
I did. Nairobi-Mombassa-Nairobi. Far faster and safer than bus or walking!:bored:

EchoKilo
10th Nov 2008, 16:41
I have flown and will continue to fly KQ any time. They are IOSA (IATA Operational Safety Audit) certified which speaks volumes. Don't forget incidents like bird strikes and other minor incidents, which happen to any and every airline, are also cited in safety reports. :cool:

Whiteflyer
10th Nov 2008, 17:39
They may be IOSA, but until they report the results of the crash in DLA, there is always a doubt.

EchoKilo
10th Nov 2008, 19:08
Whiteflyer, I take it you don't deem KQ safe enough right? That's your opinion and you're entitled to it but I have a question for you. Would you opt not to fly KQ because the report hasn't been made public or would your reason be that KQ is not a safe enough airline for you to fly?

rwm
11th Nov 2008, 00:21
From my understanding, and what I have seen, the DLA crash was pilot error, and not by a national pilot either. I also saw the FDR recreation of the flight. This should not reflect on the airline, and I feel that they are a reasonably good airline, and by far one of the best in Africa. I do prefer Ethiopian, but will fly both. I have found Ethiopian to have better food and service, and cheaper costs to the destinations I have needed to go.

Foxcotte
11th Nov 2008, 11:03
I'm not confident to fly KQ. Not because of their crashes (but that certainly doesn't help) but more because the last time I did fly them, there was an incredible apathy apparent from the flight deck (couldn't be bothered to make a coherent PA call), to the crew (were unhelpful, absent and sloppy), via the handling & ground staff. The flight left me with the belief that the apathy and disinterest ran all the way through the operation, and that makes me uneasy.

The final straw was turning up for a KQ flight to LHR which had been "commandered" last minute, and the only information a 777 worth of passengers had was a scrappily mis-spelt hand written notice celotaped to the check in desk. And not a single member of KQ staff anywhere to be seen to help answer questions, divert passengers, or rearrange tickets.

One bitten, definitely twice shy.

Whiteflyer
24th Nov 2008, 18:43
Echokilo. I have a question for you.

Why is it that KQ have had two major incidents ABJ and DLA in recent years and nothing has been published as to the cause.

Surley the travelling public should be allowed to know.
Then maybe they can make and informed opinion as to whether they are safe or not!

As it stands a fellow pruner is saying that the DLA crash was pilot error which I tend to want to go along with, but that would not be fair on the crew, it may have been a malfunction with the aircraft. Either way the cause should be made public.

TwinJock
25th Nov 2008, 02:07
The short answer to the original question - if I have a choice - NO! :ok:

When it comes to aviation and aviation safety, I pay the money, I decide on the risk I am willing to take.

ibelieveicanfly
25th Nov 2008, 02:52
I won't fly most of the african airlines included kenya.If I remember correctly the last crash of kenyan was a brand new 737 towards a cb in climbout,isn't it?