PDA

View Full Version : ICAO & Passenger announcements

Finzolas
10th Nov 2008, 14:51
Hi all,

Does any one know the regulatory reference regarding Passenger announcements?

I had the strong believe that all passenger announcements (cabin) have to be done in two different ICAO languages (english, french, spanish, chinese, russian, arabic, if I am correct). But I cannot find the ICAO or OPS regulatory reference.

As far as it may be useful, I work for a French operator, under EU OPS rules. Our cabin crew procedures indicate that obligation, but no regulatory reference mentioned.

Thanks in advance for any help!

el #
10th Nov 2008, 14:55
Interesting. Suppose an UK domestic flight, what would be the second language to use ??? Welsh may be ?

Nightrider
10th Nov 2008, 15:42
Depends on who made the initial announcement.... an interpretor for Scottish English to English will be most appropriate. Same may apply to French English and other 'imported' English versions... :E

BelArgUSA
10th Nov 2008, 16:30
I believe there are some agreements made by IATA regarding use of languages.
xxx
Maybe the rule that many airlines apply is the correct IATA recommendation.
(1) National language of airline
(2) Language of country, airport of departure
(3) Language of country, airport of destination
(4) English (to please some of you)
xxx
As an example, Varig used Portuguese, English and Japanese on their flights from Sao Paulo to Los Angeles to Tokyo. Some airlines have a "language roster" and have F/As who speak certain languages generally assigned for certain routes, to cover all likely languages to be used or needed. With my airline, 12 flight attendants in the 747, we can do many languages on PA. As pilot, I always do a PA in Spanish, then English, and I might do some French, Portuguese, Dutch or German to impress the monolingual Anglo-Saxons on board...
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

Finzolas
10th Nov 2008, 19:32
Ok, it seems that we all have pretty close rules, even if it is not associated to any real requirement. Commen sens I suppose.
It sounds so natural (2 ICAO languages) that I ended considering it as the law.

Admiral346
10th Nov 2008, 21:04
As pilot, I always do a PA in Spanish, then English, and I might do some French, Portuguese, Dutch or German to impress the monolingual Anglo-Saxons on board...

BelArgUSA, I love it. Made me finally smile today.

Mucha Suerte,

Nic