View Full Version : PPL JAR cost

Bond_007
9th Nov 2008, 11:16
Hello,

How much would you expect (roughly) a PPL JAR to cost from start to finish, including all costs, in the London area say?

I believe the minimum hours is 45.

I'd be interested to see what people know of.

Cheers,
Bond:cool:

AlphaMale
9th Nov 2008, 13:11
Might be worth getting in contact with a few schools in your area, there are too many to mention but I'd imagine you wont get much change from £7k.

Blackbushe
Biggn Hill
Redhill
Shoreham

Are a few London schools that spring to mind - Cabair have a few schools in your area too.

Lister Noble
9th Nov 2008, 15:23
Probably take around 55 hrs average @ £145 /hour average.
Plus books,equipment and exam costs etc.
I would budget £8-9000.
You may find cheaper places,but I reckon that is what it would cost me today, where I learned in Norfolk.
Good luck
Lister:)

Nibbler
9th Nov 2008, 15:34
Before getting into overall cost it's worth saying that the 45 hours minimum is really just that, minimum. You are likely to need more flying if you have little or no flying experience, have long breaks between lessons or have any difficulty with any of the lessons. 'They' say the average is 50-55 hours.

Most schools base the course cost on their dual rate £ x 45 hours. If you pay 1/3 or 1/2 up front you should expect to get a 'Student Pack' - books, headset, map, checklist, pens, flight computer, ground exam fees etc - all the things you need to complete the PPL.

Other than any additional flying time you also will need to pay for;

A Class 2 medical with an AME costs between £140 - £170 and a good idea to get this before you part with any money.

The Skills test - at least 2 hours of flying at the solo hire rate + around £130 for the examiner.

Your licence application - £168 to the CAA when you have passed.

Landing fees during your navigational training and your QXC - these can be from £8.50 and £40 or more at larger airfields.

Total cost can be between £8,000 and £9,000 for an average student.

Hope this helps, good luck if you decided to go for it!!

jxc
9th Nov 2008, 20:56
Hi

I passed my ppl in august on 53 hours and at a cost of £7500 all in inc headset (£250) study books and bits and pieces could have been cheaper but took kids up for a jolly then did 1hour of spins very worthwhile and great fun and that also included test fees and exams and landing fees etc . At Earls Colne

Jxc

Bond_007
11th Nov 2008, 20:00
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. All posts were really helpful. I had a couple of quotes and I didnt know what to expect.

I'll probably take a trip down to a good school I found for a look and chat, then try and book something up for early 2009.

Cheers:ok:

beatnik
11th Nov 2008, 20:25
I recently completed my PPL on 47 hrs, and it cost me £10,700, which included all books, whizz wheels, plotters, exam fees, CAA fees etc. Along the way I treated myself to a handheld radio, a stopwatch and a pair of Dave Clark headphones (£125 secondhand off eBay).

I did my training at Shoreham (so think expensive landings, touch and gos and go arounds :rolleyes:) I also did it in a PA28, so I reckon you could knock off £2,000 if you did it in a Cessna 150.

Good luck
Nik

Russ Bost
11th Nov 2008, 21:47
Took mine about 18 months ago, when I tot up all the receipts comes out at around £10500, & I took it at around 55hrs, this includes all books, checklists, exams & radio practical , & a headset! - I think anything shy of £10k is optimistic, although in the current "credit crunch" environment might get cheaper!:confused:

GWidgery
12th Nov 2008, 11:09
I did mine a few years back at White Waltham. Total cost was £7800, including getting to the airfield each week, club membership, away landing fees and licence issue, flight test etc. (45hrs PA28)

If you feel you're able, then you can save a bit of money by teaching yourself the theory - there are several good sets of books you can get your hands on.

mcgoo
12th Nov 2008, 20:46
I think anything shy of £10k is optimistic

Go to the US, you can halve that!

TractorBoy
14th Nov 2008, 14:41
You may be able to get a decent discount if you pay up front, but be VERY VERY careful. If the school goes belly-up, you'll get nought back.

EI-ANY
14th Nov 2008, 14:54
Total cost in around 7000 Euro in ireland.

170 per hour in cessena 152

180 per hour in cessena 172

Much cheaper in America Though!

Dr Jekyll
14th Nov 2008, 18:53
Anyone know the current cost of a Helicopter licence?

civil aviation
15th Nov 2008, 17:03
I'm with mcgoo
Unless you have more money than sense or suffer from homesickness, best place in London area is Gatwick and check in for Orlando -International or Sanford. There are, also, plenty of Winter flights from Manchester.
Pay under £5k and come back after 3 or 4 weeks with JAA PPL.
Several JAA schools in Florida- NAC, OBA and OFT- but the complete package price quoted is current and confirmed (also includes accommodation, night and RT !) for friend with Ormond Beach Aviation - Home Page - Welcome! (http://www.flyoba.com).