PDA

View Full Version : Trainee ATCO - Guernsey Airport

G-CI
7th Nov 2008, 20:50
Ive been on these forums in the past mostly just browsing.

It looks like Guernsey & Alderney airports are looking for Trainee ACTOs. Has anyone here about this opening? Applications are now closed however they are funding the training for the successful applicant. As its a non NATS centre their procedures will be a little different.

Sounds intresting, anyone here applying for the postion?

niknak
8th Nov 2008, 14:48
I don't know what the situation is now, but the Islands did have an Atco training scheme in the past and it was quite succesful.
There were recently jobs advertised at Guernsey and Jersey for fully rated Atcos with the inference that they may consider those not fully rated, with training to follow. As far as I can recall there were no positions for "trainee atcos" and I didn't see Alderney mentioned at all.

G-CI, if you are going to apply for a job at any of the airports, good luck to you but get someone to check the application over - put in a CV based on the spelling in your post and it wouldn't get any further than the bin.

G-CI
8th Nov 2008, 16:07
Fair enough, there were some typos in my post. However as I was posting from my phone I think there should be some tolerance for errors. :P However I am well aware of the level required when writing professional documents.

niknak
8th Nov 2008, 18:36
I'll meet you in Satan's Pit, you can share my season ticket if you want..:E

britkit
14th Nov 2008, 21:58
As far as I'm aware, the recently advertised job in Guernsey got no takers, but this was for more than operational reasons -
house prices on Guernsey are very expensive, including for renting property. You also have the issue of residency - though it'll probably be the case that you'll get right of residency with the job, however if you lose the job you lose the right to stay on the island. Linked into that the cost of living (petrol, utilities, food) is also more expensive than in Mainland UK.

As for the unit itself, yes it's non-NATS, but they are radar equipped. Guernsey provides a radar service to all aircraft inbound to Guernsey when the have been handed over from Jersey Zone, and to all aircraft inbound to Alderney

As there were no takers for the position, they may consider a trainee; the channel islands have always had a good trainee scheme in the past, as most of the controllers are 'home grown', but where this resource 'dries up' then vacancies are advertised for personnel to come in from outside the islands.

That's all I can add, except that if you are interested then contact them and you never know how far you could get.

Good luck
Britkit

G-CI
24th Nov 2008, 00:07
The current position of - Trainee ACTO for Guernsey and Alderney airports closed on the 31st October.

There is currently a small delay in the process however shortly all application forms will be reviewed and the short list should be compiled in December sometime.
It will of course take some time for all the stages of process to complete however depending on the quality of the applicants it looks like they might be soon getting a new Trainee ACTO.

GCI