PDA

View Full Version : A330-300 Windows

TheHeff
7th Nov 2008, 20:02
Anybody out there . . .

A few days ago, I was checking out some photos I had taken earlier in the year, while waiting for our flight to be called. Two pix were of A330-300s, pretty much side on, and it caught my eye that the windows at the rear of the cabin, appeared to slant, or curve, slightly upward, toward the fin.

At first I thought it was just an optical illusion - but I'm not so sure. I looked up some photographs on the web, and all that did, was convince me that the windows (approx last ten) DO indeed, curve upward.

Examples from Iberworld and Brussels, which both have narrow cheat lines very close to, and just below the windows, seem to emphasize my point. So, I still can't make up my mind . . .

Any offers of wisdom :confused: Thanx.

Rainboe
7th Nov 2008, 20:21
The whole A300/310/330 range does that. Congratulations for spotting it- it's been like that for about 25 years! It's all to do with the upswept tail area and maximising cabin occupancy in the length available.

Don't ever become a detective, your powers of observation are not good! (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Airbus-A300B4-605R/1416343/M/)

TheHeff
7th Nov 2008, 21:22
Thanks Rainboe.

However, in my defence (somewhat red-faced), those around me told me I should go see an optician - and they supposedly know more than me!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though - would you kindly elaborate on
"upswept tail area and maximising cabin occupancy in the length available".

Sounds like Eurobus-speak, but wht does it mean. For instance, do you notice this effect inside the cabin?

As for the detective comment :{. I hope that makes you feel bad :)

TheCosmicFrog
7th Nov 2008, 21:41
He means that since the aft of the plane is shallower than the rest (it curves up from the bottom), the cabin position is altered to allow cargo to be placed efficiently in the shallower parts :)

Rainboe
8th Nov 2008, 05:00
I understood it to be because of the lower rear fuselage being so upswept to allow for landing and take-off attitudes, if you simply had a straight floor all the way back, you would have to end the cabin further forward. I doubt whether the effect is noticeable at all from inside.

Skipness One Echo
8th Nov 2008, 22:42
It's noticeable. Don't ever become a detective. Your powers of observation are not good.