PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Cleanliness

DJCCGuy
7th Nov 2008, 07:52
Hi All,

I wanted to create a poll to gauge your opinions on this...but couldn't figure out how.

I'm curious to know how important is a clean cabin to you? Would you rather depart on time in a slightly messy cabin, or depart behind schedule and travel in a clean cabin?

Reason I ask is as crew, we're constantly being pushed for OTP, and at times are told to not clean on a turnaround, and simply just place the safety card to the front of the seatpocket, in order to get the aircraft running ontime...but this is then embarrasing when having passengers sitting in a messy cabin.

So, as a minimum, what would you prefer to have been done when you get to your seat...do you look at things like carpet vacummed, no rubbish in seat pockets, seatbelts crossed?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers, :ok:

Jabawocky
7th Nov 2008, 08:57
It would be nice if the grubs on the previous sector did not make such a mess to start with! Its not hard really, even after a long haul flight.

They seem to think its a football stadium.... and no I do not appreciate what people do there either.

I much prefer a clean cabin.

I suppose for 5 mins or so extra beyond on time..... clean the cabin as best you can but if its already an hour late and a Sydney curfew is at stake, its a no brainer.

Is it JQ that ask folk to help by ensuring all rubbish etc is collected?
J:ok:

Sunstar320
7th Nov 2008, 09:42
I hate grubby, fingerprinted windows. As long as the seat itself isn't "crumbed" in biscuits, lets just get away ontime..

Peter Fanelli
7th Nov 2008, 11:36
It would be nice if the grubs on the previous sector did not make such a mess to start with! Its not hard really, even after a long haul flight.
It's interesting, I've flown across the Pacific quite a few times now and I've noticed a trend on arrival.
Often in cattle class the passengers will make some effort to clean up after them, even if it's only putting the pillow and blanket on the seat ready to be collected, same thing in the first class cabin. But in every trip I've been on Business class is absolutely trashed with pillows blankets and newspapers strewn about all over the place.

It's almost like the people who really have the money and travel 1st class appreciate and care for their surroundings while the people who make it into business and think they're the elite when they're not adopt the "I paid for it you will be my slave" attitude.

Strange

mostlytossas
7th Nov 2008, 12:18
I want to depart on time and with a clean cabin thanks!
There is no reason why it should not be so either as the fault lays with airline managment scheduling turnaround times too tight to allow for the cleaning. Something to do with the bottom line. A 15minute later departure means nothing to a passenger so long as the timetble shows that when you book as you adjust your times to suit the above. It is about time the paying public stopped accepting dirty aircraft.

tred
7th Nov 2008, 18:26
don't give a toss how the seat belts look
don't give a toss whether the carpet has been vacummed
hate having to brush food off the seat
hate unfolding the tray table to find gooey mess, squashed food, fizzy drink stains

Green gorilla
7th Nov 2008, 22:23
Buisness class was trashed on my flight as well pigs.

barrheadboy
8th Nov 2008, 07:22
i travel business class with the money from my own pocket. i do not think that i am elite ,and i leave my seat area the way that i found it .i do not expect any one to be a slave to me .but i do agree the state of the cabin after a flight leaves a lot to be desired.

Obie
8th Nov 2008, 08:04
Err! Well!...aren't people employed to do these cleaning jobs? Like, flight attendants and others?

Or, is it part of the privilege of buying a ticket these days with Scum Bag Airlines, that one cleans the cabin on arrival with Scum Bag Airlines so that Scum Bag Airlines staff can go off and have a fag on the turn around!?

Some one care to enlighten me? :=:(:E

PyroTek
8th Nov 2008, 08:07
how about an extra 10 frequent flyer points for every piece of rubbish you pick up on your way out the aircraft?
100 if you clean your own seat area!:ok:

Obie
8th Nov 2008, 08:12
You're far too young to be smoking Pyro. :ok:

james ozzie
8th Nov 2008, 18:50
Great thread - addresses some of my privately felt concerns.

The neat rows of cushions & blankets hide the fact that a few hundred smelly, sweaty pax have just been released from the metal tube an hour or so before. Just because the newspapers & cushions are picked up does not make the cabin clean.

No-one would sleep in a hotel bed with the previous guests linen (and the guest before, and before..) yet we are conditioned to doing just that in an airliner seat. How often, if ever, are the seat covers properly laundered?

I always use that hot towel thing to wipe down my tray, window etc (OCD in the making here...?!)

Singapore Airlines is the only airline that I am aware of where I see the cabin crew cleaning toilets as they come on shift. I think the average Qantas hostie would rather die than do something like that.

RodH
8th Nov 2008, 19:58
If you people want to see what is an almost indesribeably filthy cabin looks like , go and see one from a flight that has just returned from the Haj.
The whole cabin needs fumigating and hosing out , if that could be done .
You really have to see it to believe it.
It's almost unreal.
:(:(:(

Peter Fanelli
8th Nov 2008, 20:01
haj HAH!

You should have seen Ghana Airways flights when they used to arrive in the USA.
Maggot and rat infested baggage.
Charming :yuk:

future.boeing.cpt
8th Nov 2008, 20:40
Maggot and rat infested baggage

:yuk::yuk::yuk:

TBM-Legend
8th Nov 2008, 21:31
travelled numerous times on Korean and JAL. cabins as clean at the end of the 12 hrs as at the beginning...

i don't pay for a seat to be surrounded by someone else's crap...:=

teresa green
9th Nov 2008, 04:13
I rather not sit next to a squashed Vegemite sanga, but I have noticed on JQ that the pax have become used to cleaning up after themselves and turn the emergency brochure around the right way etc. I have noticed this on a few flights recently. The C/C ask them to do so, so I guess after a few trips some get the message. The worst flights I have been on were the ones from DPS when you could still smoke. The A/C was absolutely floating on pot, (no donks needed, the flightys used to joke) and the bogans had no idea what they were doing much less care about what they did with food. Hard to believe these days but ask any C/C still around from that era they will tell you. I don't even remember any getting arrested. The engineers used to open every door on their arrival in SYD.

Howard Hughes
9th Nov 2008, 04:40
I for one want a clean cabin, I don't want to be siting in someone else's squallor! But then again I am also the sort of person who leaves my little space the same way that I found it!:ok:
So, as a minimum, what would you prefer to have been done when you get to your seat...do you look at things like carpet vacummed, no rubbish in seat pockets, seatbelts crossed?
You have pointed out the bare minimums! I also expect the tray table and window to be cleaned, chewy removed from under the seats and if required the headrest cover replaced! There was a time, not that long ago when this was the standard...:ooh:

PS: You may ask how I know that there is chewy under the seat, simple really, every flight I check to make sure that my life jacket is where it should be! Yuck!!!:eek:

QF22
9th Nov 2008, 05:13
Your seat and surrounds may look clean on the surface at a glance, but get down on the floor and have a look around as engineers have to.
Under aircraft seats and around Dado panels would have to be filthiest places on earth ! Lots of old peanuts and food scraps, and yes your seat cushion/cover hasn't been changed in God knows how long !

Hugh Jarse
9th Nov 2008, 06:27
Does anyone really give a rat's arse? This is supposed to be a PILOT's forum.

Who cares!
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/HugeArse/retarded.jpg

The Bunglerat
9th Nov 2008, 06:41
Ditto Jarse's comments. Whilst the topic is a valid one, I think it's somewhat of a pointless exercise on this forum. You need to be asking the question to frequent flying pax, not the guys and girls who spend more time sitting in front of the cockpit door than behind it.

teresa green
9th Nov 2008, 06:54
I always thought the flight deck was connected to the rest of the tube. If the cabin is crap, the PAX notice and don't fly your airline again. Since when did the pilots not concern themselves with the whole ship. If they don't fly with you, that is of great concern for your job. Any GOOD Captain concerns himself with the whole ship. I always went back for a look and was not beyond making a comment if I thought it was necessary. The aircraft does not start and end at the flight deck.

Hugh Jarse
9th Nov 2008, 07:43
Give us a break teresa. Whilst your philosophy has merit in an ideal world, the reality is that when you have a 20 min turnaround, the flight deck crew have precious little time to have anything to do with the state of the cabin. They have barely enough time to do a walk around and program the box, let alone worry about the state of the cabin before boarding commences!

If airlines wish to get repeat business, it's up to the management to facilitate the resources to enable timely cleaning and preparation of the cabin to passengers' expectations...

Obie
9th Nov 2008, 08:02
Well, TG is saying exactly that HJ!

Wot's the matter...can't you read proper? :ok:

Hugh Jarse
9th Nov 2008, 08:22
Obie, I can read fine. Thanks for asking. I suggest it's you who cannot :) I agreed that cabin standards concern the whole crew. However, with turnaround times as tight as they are (in Australia, anyway), the flight crew has neither the time nor the responsibility for its cleanliness.

I used to go down the back and help out with getting the cabin prepared on the turnaround. Unfortunately, companies have reduced the time to a point where I can only carry out my required duties in the time available to me.

It's not for want of trying.:ugh:

And I still fail to see the significance of this thread. Maybe it should be sent to the cabin crew forum.

goin'flyin
9th Nov 2008, 08:35
After hearing nothing but good things about Emirates, decided to fly them on a recent personal trip to Europe. Will never fly with them again, and i'll make sure everyone i know will never fly with them either.

Very bad smell throughout the entire cabin, seats were more uncomfortable than any other flight i have ever been on, the food was crap, and there was s:mad:t absolutely all over one of the toilet cubicles.

They are an absolute disgrace in my opinion.

Only positive is, (even though my aircraft is smaller) i now make doubly sure that my aircraft is fresh and spotless before going out on any jobs.

Angle of Attack
9th Nov 2008, 08:47
Good call HJ!

Of course as pilots we need to be aware of the cabins state, but at the end of the day we fly the aircraft and make sure it doesnt hit any ground at high speed! At the end of the day thats the only thing that will kill people.... and i said at the end of the day two times! lol! Cabin cleanliness is secondary to the operation but I agree with TG that we should concern ourselves with it, and I personally will file a complaint if i see a crappy cabin! Good one TG! :ok:

Obie
9th Nov 2008, 09:28
...and I too will file a complaint that you said "at the end of the day" three times not twice! :ok:

teresa green
10th Nov 2008, 03:47
Don't get to offended HughArse, simply turn your head to the right for a quarter of a second, and if it looks like crap say so. Nobody expects you to pop on a pinny and race around with a feather duster. On QF L/H it used to do my head in when coming out to the john I would fall over a large green garbage bag full of God knows what. Not the C/C fault just lack of storage for garbage. Hopefully the newer A/C have addressed this problem. I know turnarounds are tight, but you are still the Skipper, and it is still your job on the line if PAX go to Loose Rivet Airlines instead of yours, simply because you are flying a tip around. And they DO notice.

capt.cynical
10th Nov 2008, 08:28
Cleanliness is next to Godliness. :eek::D

Obie
10th Nov 2008, 08:45
...attention Sky Gods!!??

Like to expand on that CC, and tell us what you're on about?

distracted cockroach
10th Nov 2008, 08:49
I would absolutely delay a flight to ensure the cabin was "clean"...not spotless, but at least habitable by partially civilised humans. Too many times I have seen cabins completely trashed by half witted SLF. There is no excuse for it...just because you have a limited amount of space to sit in for a few hours, doesn't mean you can leave a mess for someone else to clean up.
I will happily wear the delay and write a report as to why. If management aren't happy, ask them how happy they would be to sit in the pigsty left behind by some dimwit.
It's a symptom of the general decline in the self discipline of society. I remember when you used to dress up in your "good" clothes to go on a flight.

UNOME
13th Nov 2008, 10:11
Go for a ride on Tiger :yuk:

Tip: Take a rat-trap with you...