PDA

View Full Version : Thames Rader /London City controllers

Gash ILS Checker
4th Nov 2008, 11:34
Just a massive thanks from the driver of the dreaded calibrator that was causing chaos on Sunday 2nd Nov.

It was quite a tough job for us but I really can't begin to imagine how bad it was for you guys but somehow you managed to let us get the ILS checked and the DME commissioned.

Great controlling and once again, thanks a lot.

kinglouis
4th Nov 2008, 13:01
any chance you can go back to your powers that be and get them to change their times??? checking the ILs etc when its busy is a pointless pain in the arse.... what was wrong with sunday morning when thames were sitting on their arses reading spotters monthly.
im not having a go at you, but if you could pass it on..... :ok:

Gash ILS Checker
4th Nov 2008, 13:18
You're telling me it's a pain in the ar%$!

We know that as much as you do!

We'd rather do the job when it's closed but due to city's operating licence we can only do the job when it's open.

Inconvenient for the airport and airlines but the job needed to be done and I'm sure you'd all be complaining even more if the ILS had to be turned off and you're all diverting elsewhere....

Having said that, Sunday's job was unusual and took a lot longer than a usual ILS calibration job.

jonno79
4th Nov 2008, 13:27
KingLouis - The day I read spotters monthly is the day you can poke me in the eye with a hot stick. By the way, the flight check cannot be done on a Sunday morning because the airport is shut....makes it a bit difficult!!!!

Gary - Thanks for the message - good to see you got it all complete. :ok:

anotherthing
4th Nov 2008, 13:30
...are rubbish?

anotherthing
4th Nov 2008, 13:32
Sorry, though I was in Jet Blast on the 'finish the sentence' thread!! :E:E

kinglouis
4th Nov 2008, 18:56
City airport by its pure existence is a pain in the arse.
lack of stands, ancient procedures and crap flow..... but lets increase the movements each year until something bad happens.
i understand the checks need to be done when it is open, its just a shame it cant be done at 2am like some other london airports.

autothrottle
4th Nov 2008, 19:21
Thames radar controllers have always had my massive respect. No airspace to work with, and recently they and the city controllers moved an incredible 38 aircraft in one hour , a record. Awesome.

Dizzee Rascal
4th Nov 2008, 20:44
and recently they and the city controllers moved an incredible 38 aircraft in one hour , a record. Awesome.

Must've been an hour when AlanM was on a break receiving dodgy photos on facebook.;)

renard
5th Nov 2008, 13:58
Three cheers for the controllers. I fly in there all the time and marvel at you guys.

Out of interest, how many movements an hour does LHR, LGW and STN typically do?

autothrottle
6th Nov 2008, 11:06
Not sure about LGW and STN but we do about 80-90 take offs and landings an hour at LHR , with the record at 99. That does not include towing movements which could add another 10-15 . We do have two runways though, recently LGW did a phenomenal 900 ish movements in one day! On one runway.

Airways B
6th Nov 2008, 12:52
It looks like LCY have a very active opposition community nowadays ... Newham Recorder Article (http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/content/newham/recorder/news/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=newsNEWHAM&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsnewham&itemid=WeED29%20Oct%202008%2016%3A02%3A39%3A117)

New residents in Penthouse flats built after the airport. united (http://tinyurl.com/6btwsp)

Skipness One Echo
6th Nov 2008, 23:23
Not In My Back Yard

God I hate my neighbours. A day with Tridents and VC10s down the approach would give 'em some persepctive.

autothrottle
7th Nov 2008, 10:18
Why not throw in a couple of 1-11's as well during the quiet periods!

Mister Geezer
7th Nov 2008, 23:29
Drifting slightly off...

With the London TMA eventually getting carved up with new SIDS and STARS, will this enable a more constant descent to LCY? Perhaps more awkward on Rwy 10 mind you! One does notice a marked difference in fuel burn when you have to get down early and stay down as opposed to what is expected at the other London airfields.

Thames and City guys do a grand job considering the very limited space (horizontal and vertical) that they have got to work in which is not really designed for the flow rates that we see today.

Scuzi
8th Nov 2008, 00:07
Mister Geezer,

Having looked at the new routes, fuel burn at low levels will be the least of your worries, especially if coming in from the north. The flights inbound from Scotland will be getting cozy with the NW coast of France if we're not careful!