PDA

View Full Version : Advice

LeeOxo91
2nd Nov 2008, 18:07
Hi all,
Let me first introduce myself on my first post.
My name is Lee, soon to be 17 from the very cold part of the North East of England. For a few years now my aspiration has been to work in the aviation industry and from joining IVAO , I have come to the conclusion that I would like to become an ATCO. (Yes, I know it's very different in RL, and who knows, you may get pilots who fly correctly in real life :ugh:.

Im currently at sixth form and doing A-Levels, but not keen on doing those as for NATS, at least, they are not required- so I am wrongly taking the attitude of, if they aren't needed, why do them and not completing the work to the best of my ability.

A few questions if I may:

1) What other companys in the UK manage ATC. For example NATS do EGLL, EGKK, EGFF, PH etc etc, but what about EGNT and EGNX, EGCN?

2) If you are an ATCO did you do A- Levels and do you think they were a boost to your application, and would CCC be better than nothing?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Mr_Grubby
2nd Nov 2008, 18:41
Lee.

Stay on and do your A levels. You are still very young. Plenty of time to start training for a career in ATC. Get these qualifications. They maybe useful in the future if your ATC career aspirations go ' belly up ' for example you may fail the medical. Don't want to put the damper on things, but these things happen.

Good Luck,

Clint. :ok:

45 before POL
2nd Nov 2008, 19:07
I agree with mr grubby on this one. Get those A levels first. This way you don't put all your eggs in one basket. Also Nats may not require them but other companies such as maastricht as far as i know do. Also better for your cv and puts you in a strong position as showing you can study to a higher level.
A lot of people don't make it as many hurdles to jump, initial testing , spacial awarenes tests. Some don't pass the medical due to things such as colour blindness...and then when you get to the college a hell of a lot of studying. So the A level studies would give you a bit of practice. Study 4-6 hours a day on your A levels will give you an idea of whats in store, and you will probably get good grades as a result too.:ok:
I didn't complete my A levels, left to join the RAF but wish i had as it would have made it a hell of a lot easier to join Nats later on. As for the majority of the atcos i work with I would guess about 60-70% are graduates 25% with A levels and only 5% with just GCSE's
good luck:)

Scooby Don't
2nd Nov 2008, 19:33
As 45 before POL has suggested, probably a majority of people entering the profession these days have degrees. There are a few old salts around who complain about graduates having no common sense, but that is really just a crass generalisation with no basis in fact. Admittedly, a degree has no direct bearing on your prospects with NATS or any other ATC provider if you plan to remain operational throughout your career. Right now, it's probably fair to say that most ATC managers in NATS, Serco and elsewhere are not university graduates, BUT, and that's a big but for good reason, I would seriously doubt that that will be the case in 20 years, when you'll only be 36! The upshot of what I've just written is that it may well be worth taking the long-term view and getting a degree under your belt. Quite apart from giving you something to fall back on if you don't get selected for ATC, and opening up positions which in the future may only be open to graduates, it's also a little insurance in the event of losing your medical or simply deciding on a change of career at some point. As an aside, my Facebook friends are a mixture of work friends from various locales and university friends. If you move around much, or even if you only move once and it takes you away from home, school friends can be hard to keep. University friendships are made in a different environment and can be more enduring. My degree has done absolutely nothing for my career, but I'm still damn glad to have it and to have spent those years as a fashion disaster in the campus bars.

Having said all that, if you're selected without getting as far as university, all power to you. Don't assume for one second though that you can stop learning when you leave school. Plan for the future, but don't necessarily be in such a hurry for the future to happen that you miss out on the qualifications, the learning experiences and the fun that can help you on your way.

Imperator1300
3rd Nov 2008, 12:10
I would finish your A Levels first, and apply to train as an ATCO with NATS, Eurocontrol (or maybe airports like Newcastle have openings). If no luck (you are still young), then maybe then University while you keep trying for that ATCO training.

Imperator1300

niknak
3rd Nov 2008, 16:54
Definately do the A - Levels, then decide if Uni is for you, if so get the best degree you can (for aviation, a science or engineering based one is best but this does not preclude anything which you may be better at or interest you more).
As others have said, getting the best academic qualifications you can achieve seems to matter more than they once did, although personally, I don't see the point in suffering 3 to 4 years at Uni doing something you don't enjoy or are not good at, then going on to do a job which bores you to death - you may as well get a string of A levels then get a job which trains you for a career to which you aspire to and will really enjoy (such as NATS or Eurocontrol).

I got enough A - levels, but didn't work hard enough to get the right grades to go to Uni' and I now I thank the lord that I didn't, because had I done so I would almost certainly have done a business degree, never given a thought to aviation, gone into a mundane 9 - 5 job which paid well but had me working at home as well getting stressed about utter pointlessness.
Instead, I've been doing a job I love for over 30 years, it's hard work at times, but well paid, loads of time off, I never take work home with me and although there is stress in the job, it ends the moment I walk out the door.

I'm not saying you shouldn't work hard and achieve the most you can academically, but joining the likes of NATS or Eurocontrol is a marvellous opportunity, whereas working and training at a regional airport wouldn't be able to offer you quite the same training, career path or salary expectations.

classicwings
3rd Nov 2008, 17:29
Are you speaking from first hand knowledge of working at a regional airport niknak?

Click_Here
3rd Nov 2008, 18:53
LeeOxo,

The current NATS Careers Eligibility web-page (NATS careers (http://natscareers.co.uk/careers.asp?c=1&s=6)) has the following requirement:

Be at least 18 at the date of applicationSo practically you'll have to wait over a year before you can even apply, so IMO better to do the A-Levels anyway

Good Luck,
C_H

niknak
4th Nov 2008, 13:38
Classic Wings,

yes, many years at four different ones and I am still at one.

I wasn't putting regional airports down, it's just that NATS do offer better salaries and more opportunities to progress (if that's what you want to do) without having to wait for someone to move on or drop dead.

I enjoy working where I am, but I wasn't NATS trained and I've had to move around a bit to get the opportunities I have.

Comms Boy
4th Nov 2008, 16:42
Lee,

Stay on and finish your A level's.

I left school with just GCSE's but fortunately got an apprenticeship. At the end of this, my employer paid for me to do day release at college and take a BTEC.
Without this qualification I would not be in the position I am now.

Qualifications open doors, simple as that.
Best of luck:ok:
Pete

classicwings
4th Nov 2008, 20:17
Thanks for your reply, Niknak. I think the underlying point I am trying to raise here is that those who are lucky enough to be selected or who are the right candidates for NATS training are fortunate enough to have such opportunities to develop their careers within ATC. I know it is still possible to become an ATCO from a different pathway but perhaps the opportunities via this route are more limited.:confused:

10 DME ARC
4th Nov 2008, 23:15
Lee
Newcastle does its own ATC and does train its own ATCA's(Assistant Air Traffic Controllers) to become controllers. However we haven’t taken any ATSA's on from outside the airport for a while!
If you want a look round ATC give me a pm, mind you I am leaving for sunnier climbs end of December!
P.s. Stick in with the A Levels it’s a completive world out there!

3miles
5th Nov 2008, 00:34
A levels all the way mate, you come to a NATS interview and when asked what are you doing right now, or have been doing and you explain you dropped out of your A levels, then not really going to sell it to me that you wont drop out of Air Traffic when the training is tough. I'd want to see an individual that was dedicated to achieving something with their life, and taking all opportunities to do that, so even likely to ask you what are your plans if you dont get accepted, and would like to see that you would be saying Im applying to university and will do that until I can apply for NATS again. That way I would see that you are dedicated to getting into air traffic, but at same time you are being realistic and ensuring you better yourself while you are waiting for that to be achieved.

For your info I have A levels, dropped out of Uni on getting into NATS (i applied as soon as I could at 18 just ended up starting at Uni whislt completing all the selction tests and interviews and medicals etc) but had I failed at any point I was in Uni to have continued with that.

Mr_Grubby
15th Nov 2008, 19:46
Well Lee, 13 replies and 2 weeks later and no response from you !

Have we all given you the advice you didn't want to hear ??

Please let us all know.

C. :confused:

LeeOxo91
17th Nov 2008, 07:20
Hi all
Thanks- all advice now on board.
Had internet troubles over the past week and a bit, so have been unable to thank you/look at the forum.

Once again thanks, going to stick in with the A Levels for now.

Regards,
Lee :ok:

Mr_Grubby
17th Nov 2008, 08:09
Well done Lee.

I'm sure you have made the right decision.

Good Luck,

Clint. :ok: