PDA

View Full Version : Overtime Ban

StillDark&Hungry
30th Oct 2008, 13:12
I know this could just as well have been posted on the NATS section but thought a wider audience might wish to comment;

I hear that management at LACC have instigated an overtime ban on part-time ATCO's. Irrespective of peoples feelings on potential industrial action because of pay / pensions, do management have the right to initiate such a stance?

Surely if bodies are required to staff the ops room what difference does it make whether the person selected for that day is full or part time? Okay, so they haven't signed an AAVA agreement - but I say again what difference does it make. As far as i'm aware the AAVA agreement only relates to ATCO's, there must be hundreds of other positions within NATS that warrant overtime by staff be them full or part time.

And before anyone starts quoting figures I am fully aware of the differing pay rates that apply on different days of the week etc. Just wonder what right they have to do this with reference to the employee handbook etc.

DAL208
30th Oct 2008, 16:13
I imagine it is something to do with how much one could earn doing aava's as opposed to doing f/t work. Im full time atco doing pretty standard MM/AA/NN 4 day off. because of nights and limits on how long it takes till i can work again, the only time i can ever do aava's is on my 3rd day off or on a day i have leave booked.
However, if i was to go part time, i would get paid 2/3rds (i think) of my salary yet be able to make MORE money than a full timer overall because i have so much more time off where i am able to do aava's unrestricted by scratcoh... where f/t people cant. So i imagine its part of the agreement that if you want to go p/t, you cant do aava's as it would be unfair on everyone else who are restricted by scratcoh etc.
Thats what i imagine the reason behind it is.

5milesbaby
30th Oct 2008, 17:04
There is still a limit of 21 AAVA days per year and if you take your leave cannily (ie take a couple of night shifts off every once in a while) then you can, if you wanted to, fulfill 21 days too.

why do I keep reading people posting "lowly" band 1 and 2 units?????

31st Oct 2008, 08:59
Obvious answer is to introduce a "part-timer" AAVA at standard rate of pay. If you find time to work an AAVA at £500+ per day, you can find time to come back to full time working?
Hang on a minute....that's a great scam......go for it!

Ballstroker
31st Oct 2008, 11:03
Overtime ban or AAVA ban?

Swanwick TC doesn't allow part time ATCOs to do AAVAs nor operational overtime (and I have a feeling it doesn't allow part-time overtime full stop).

AFAIK AC doesn't allow part-time AAVAs - however it has in the past allowed operational overtime (under the less lucrative overtime payments regime). I'm guessing that it is this that has now been banned or maybe just brought into line with TC?

chiglet
31st Oct 2008, 17:51
AFAIK at Manch, part time ATCOs doing AAVAs get pro rata pay [£300, I think]

seahawks
31st Oct 2008, 18:41
Part-time ATCO's at Manch are on overtime not AAVA and are only called as last resort after all AAVA options exhausted.

45 before POL
31st Oct 2008, 20:38
Forgive me if i am wrong but..is overtime (not aava rate)pensionable the same as the assistants? Now that gets me thinking:E :E :E