PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Idiots Downunder?

joebloggs
18th May 2001, 09:15
Isn't it possible to ban individuals from PPRUNE rather than close the forum to everyone? And doesn't PPRUNE'S legal waiver to any individual comments that might be made on the forums clear PPRUNE of any legal action? Surely if individuals threaten legal action it should be against those who post slanderous or possibly even libelous comments on the forum? Why have you shot the messenger, not the authors of the messages? Perhaps if you are so fearful of legal action you will have to restrict membership to those who are willing to provide you with some proven identity?

From The Downunder and Godzone forum -

Once again due to a few individuals who are obviously unable to act in a remotely civilised manner I have received threats of legal action because of those individuals inability to have a debate without resorting to slanderous or possibly even libelous comment.
Thanks to these few people who think that they can either say what they like from behind their cloaks of anonymity because they choose to hide their email addresses or have cancelled their registered email addresses, once again this forum brings itself into disrepute. Although it is only a few individuals with their own agendas I have decided to prevent any more posts being made to this forum for the time being.

I will review it later.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

Arm out the window
18th May 2001, 09:59
Yes, Joebloggs, well said.

I logged onto Dunnunda after a few day's absence and was most surprised to see such a heavy-handed response.

If individuals don't follow the guidelines, ban them. Surely that's possible?

If not, then to be fair, the moderators should stop posts on all the forums, not just one.

Very annoying to be kept in after school because of a few naughty children!

Surmount
18th May 2001, 10:15
Capt PPRUNE

Can I ask, if possible what person(s) or thread resulted in the Downunder forum being closed.

Cheers
Surmount

------------------
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on.

thegypsy
18th May 2001, 10:55
Why the question mark in subject title? I thought we all knew the answer to that one after '89.

Surmount
18th May 2001, 11:22
gypsy

The 89 thread was closed long before today, and no I don't know the answer to that one ??
I don't think they would've recieved legal threats over the 89 thread, I would've described that as becoming too personal.

Cheers

Dave Incognito
18th May 2001, 12:34
thegypsy

’89 is a very tender subject in Australia so it’s probably best that you refrain from making weak jokes about it. It’s posts like yours that resulted in D&G being closed.

Have a good one, Dave.

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Woomera
18th May 2001, 16:13
Talk about getting ones dander up!

Every moderator of Dunnunda, and the UK team, have had trouble with the Dunnunda Forum, because as Danny said, there are always a few who just will not think before they press the submit button.

Then when it all gets too much and the froum is closed, we have the bleeding hearts who feel it's not fair. Well in part, you're right, it isn't fair.

Nor is it fair that Danny, PPRuNe Towers et al, have to deal with the agro from the various legal eagles. Nor is it fair that I've got to spend hours trying to make sure the place stays civilised.

Unfortunately, I didn't do too well with the thread in question, and for that I apologise to Danny.

But, rather than bleat about how your rights are infringed by having an anonymous forum removed, why not put pressure on your fellow PPRuNers, to BE RESPONSIBLE. Let's face it, some one must know who posts the various slanderous, libelous, personal insults that seem to proliferate on Dunnunda.

------------------
Woomera
Dunnunda & Godzone Moderator

VH_KAM
18th May 2001, 16:24
Well the solution is simple.......Ban those who are being irresponsible from posting. Not every single user.

Ultralights
18th May 2001, 16:26
why cant the offending threads be deleted?

------------------
Sometimes he sees a strange spot in the sky, Human being with wings, That was Given to Fly.

DownIn3Green
18th May 2001, 17:11
I canīt recall ever reading the D & G forum, but it must be interesting to generate all of this controversy.

As for the comments about banning an individual from pprune, isnīt that what happened to the infamous Captain Ed?