PDA

View Full Version : rex pilots to commence industrial action

No1Dear
28th Oct 2008, 01:39
can anyone shed some light on the proposed industrial action?
you guys have been without an eba for some time now I believe.

Tidbinbilla
28th Oct 2008, 03:06
No industrial action - yet.

Feedback meetings pending with the troops to ascertain acceptability of the offer. If unacceptable, negotiators may go back to the company, or commence protected industrial action.

AFAP to notify a bargaining period. The first step towards P.I.A.

Good luck.

ThoughtCrime
28th Oct 2008, 04:51
They were offered 3%. Anyone who votes yes to that rubbish is a fool! :ugh:

satos
28th Oct 2008, 05:17
3% seems to be the norm in the aviation industry.Inflation is now 5% and rising and thats what you should be aiming for or better.

KRUSTY 34
28th Oct 2008, 05:25
Now, most here would know my thoughts on the standard of REX wages and Regional Airline incomes in general. As well as an offer of 3% though, the company have put out for consideration a 5% (I'm assuming P/A) offer, but with no profit share. The profits of REX were down this year, and I think it's safe to say it will become a continueing trend. Not so much because of any economic downturn, but as the lower end of the seniority list now contains pilots (and Cadets if they ever surface) that cannot be upgraded to command, every Captain that resigns will put further pressure on the company to reduce the schedule. Smaller schedule, smaller profits, smaller profit share.

What's the CPI at the moment? A little over 5% I think!

What a joke!

KRUSTY 34
28th Oct 2008, 05:33
Thank's satos, beat me to it.

It should be remembered that a lower than average CPI pay deal(s) over the past decade or so has led to this point. The gradual nibbling away over the years has resulted in REX pilots being some 20% behind their Qantaslink counterparts, and now well below what most GA operators are paying their turbine drivers on even smaller equipment.

Whatever form the industrial action takes, I think REX management must bear responsibility for the outcome. But of course, they'll do what they always do!

Mr.Buzzy
28th Oct 2008, 05:40
What?.... Industrial action?.... Do the Feds know about this?

I'm sure this can all be sorted out with a stern letter from the Feds to the Singaporeans.......:}

bbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzbbbbzbzbzbbzbzzzz

Muff Hunter
28th Oct 2008, 05:59
Good luck guys,

it's about time a stand was made against that little sing pr!ck.

Ramrod2
28th Oct 2008, 07:56
I agree. Hit management hard and fast with decisive PIA.

Time to get paid what we are worth...accept nothing less.

:D:D:D

Stigmund Fraud
28th Oct 2008, 09:35
I heard that the M**air EBA was voted in with a substantial pay increase in the order of 20%.

KRUSTY 34
28th Oct 2008, 11:00
Hell, if REX offered 20% the EBA would be a shoe-in! That won't stop pilots leaving though, and it certainly won't address the root cause of the "shortage".

Problem is, it would take 40% just to begin to turn the tide. It's now gone way beyond what the company should/could have done. REX have signalled loud and clear that the retention of experienced crews is not an option for them. Pretty soon we will see the wholesale poaching of upgradeable pilots by other operators, and not necessarily the majors. Not pretend poaching like JD refered to, but real advances by competitors!

Think it won't happen? 50-100-150 cadets and 200 hour wannabe's will only add to REX's crewing issues (surplus to requirements). Captains and upgradeable F/O's are now in serious short supply. How many years does it take for a pilot to aquire the mins for command at REX? But first you have to convince a generation of young Australians to take up the profession in the first place! In the meantime, if your airline is to have any chance at growth or even survival, you only have one option, scramble for what's left!

Armchairs and popcorn.

Kangaroo Court
28th Oct 2008, 11:07
Gotta agree Mate! If they are serious about crewing their planes...and about safety, it's time to pony up the dough to keep you around!

Capt Wally
28th Oct 2008, 11:09
I feel for you guys seeking decent wages that ought to be paid without having to fight for it. Hypothetically I wonder what the response would be from REX management if ALL REX pilots simply stopped work 'till they where offered something decent?
Didn't we have a similar situation back in the late 80's? That got ugly but is there that strength (in numbers) that we saw still somewhere out there? To put it simply what do you guys/gals really need to do to get a fair pay? I wish you lot well with whatever action you take:ok:

CW

LM82
29th Oct 2008, 00:09
It wouldnt even take serious p.i.a all you guys need to do is stop working RDO's and extending duties and after about a week the board would have to make a decent offer otherwise the cancellation of flight would be enourmous all because guys/girls are actually using their days off for days off.:ok:

mention1
29th Oct 2008, 01:05
I've heard that F/O's are being offered Commands before their probation is finished???!!!

I've also heard of Captains becoming Training Captains with less than 12 months service???!!!

Hell, they wouldn't have seen all the seasons yet! Flying to Orange in Summer is alot different than Winter.

This opinion that experience is over-rated is extraordinary!

1) Get rid of the Space Shuttle FCOM.
2) Campaign for a bidding system; anything is better than the current "surprize package" that is a roster.
3) Campaign for overtime payments.
4) And try for some better meals at MEAL TIMES.

I can't believe that in our country we have pilots flying RPT who are tired, hungry and poor!:{

no one
29th Oct 2008, 01:29
I've heard that F/O's are being offered Commands before their probation is finished???!!!

This I haven't heard of.

I've also heard of Captains becoming Training Captains with less than 12 months service???!!!

This however I know of, on more than one occasion.

KRUSTY 34
29th Oct 2008, 02:56
Keep an eye on Qantaslink over the next few months. They have a serious Captain shortage as well. They have a dozen new Q400's coming and although enough right seaters are in the pipeline, the expansion plans are in jeapody because they litteraly have no F/O's left that are suitable for command.

They'll have to get them from somewhere?

ACMS
29th Oct 2008, 02:59
I guess they'll try to find some South Africans again?

Did the South Africans Jetstar recruited ever arrive?

LM82
29th Oct 2008, 08:19

they would be lucky to be checked to line as f/o's before they finish probation as the training backlog is huge for the sim.:}

assasin
29th Oct 2008, 11:17
The AustralianAugust 29, 2008
Steve Creedy, Aviation writer

Rex executive chairman Lim Kim Hai said

"You have to be realistic," he said. "If we had to pay 10 per cent more to avoid the problem, or we had to pay 20 per cent more to avoid the problem, it could still be something we stretch for," he said.

Well it seems lim kim LOW is a LIAR, as the afap has met directly with him & the rest of upper management, and all the company has to offer is 3% with profit share or 5% without profit share. Why is it so hard for him to offer the money that he has said he would be willing to pay in the above quote. Maybe you are just trying to talk yourselves up to the media! so as to look like the good guy's & make the crews look like a bunch of money hungry ars*h***s who really just want an honest days pay for an honest days work. Also maybe L K LOW should fly around economy class instead of first class & save some money! :ooh:it seems you might be two faced:rolleyes:

"But the pilots who leave are not looking at 10 or 20 per cent in their new jobs with Qantas and their new jobs with Virgin. They are really talking about 80 to 100 per cent increase and on top of that a career as a jet pilot.

Crews have not been offered anything close to this money so how would he know! Check & trainers have worked out a deal which I believe is quite good, so put the 20% offer to the line pilots & stop wasting everyones time with the insulting offers & everyone can get on with the job in a better environment, so that they dont have to work a second job to make ends meat.

Steve Creedy & media why do you people always do half arsed reports on this industry, do a little research, get the facts, interview both sides to the issue instead of making it up as you go. If pilots as professionals flew in the same manner as the media/journalist report stories, we would be smoking aircraft into the ground daily.

ohyeahright
29th Oct 2008, 21:28
PIA IS the only way Rex management will understand, hitting THEIR pocket harder than ours.

But please will everyone band together. There is always plenty of talk around... “I’m going to do this, I’m not going to do that...” but when it comes down to it, we are all professional pilots and strive to complete our duties with the highest standard.

If we all stop working our Annual leave, RDO’s and never ever extend without payment, (LM82 comments) the cancellation rate will be astronomical. Management surely would have to ‘take stock’ and readdress their very strong stand point on the EBA.

I’m all for industrial action, but I feel this alternative action must be attempted prior, but with EVERYONE onboard.

I know this is my first post, and I’m certain that alone will attract some criticism, but don't think that makes me green to the industry, I’ve gained quite a few years under my belt with Rex and KD.

So come on everyone, it’s your call, or not – don’t answer that next phone call

stickywastegate
30th Oct 2008, 00:19
I do not think industrial action is the key here.

As others have said, for management to truly understand how bad the situation is, everyone needs to come together and not accept working off RDO and A/L. The cancellation rate would be astronomical, and this shock tactic would work.

Farcome
30th Oct 2008, 00:48
Take action, let em park planes against the fence, VB will snaffle the routes with shiny red jets and will be looking for new drivers and presto you will get a pay rise AND drive a jet! Easy!:ok:

Howard Hughes
30th Oct 2008, 04:41
I do not think industrial action is the key here.

As others have said, for management to truly understand how bad the situation is, everyone needs to come together and not accept working off RDO and A/L. The cancellation rate would be astronomical, and this shock tactic would work.
Stickywastegate,

Protected industrial action can include such things as not working on RDO's and/or Annual Leave! That is probably the type of action that would be being considered and would be most effective.:ok:

Capt Claret
30th Oct 2008, 08:42
PIA, even if approved by the Commission, might not go ahead. Once the required notice of PIA is given, interested parties can lobby the Minister, who under the former Govt, had the power to over-rule the right to take PIA. I don't know if the legislation has changed in this regard with the change in federal govt, or if they plan to change it.

goatwhacker
30th Oct 2008, 08:45
A mate of mine is close to a few people in ops and crewing at Rex. They told him that from their perspective, crew essentially working to rule - not working on days off and not extending etc - would lead to short-term pain for them but that overall they supported the idea. Reason being, only a skyrocketing cancellation rate would make the management committee sit up and take notice... and that would be the only chance of getting a strong EBA under which crew would actually want to help out. Short term pain for ops and crewing (and of course Rex pax), long term better off for all. Makes sense to me.

It MUST be consistant however. Pilots need to tell the poor sod from crewing who calls them for a casual day that "I am not interested because I believe we need a better EBA" or similar, so that when the other poor sod in Ops calls the Management Committee for 'approval' to cancel a flight due no crew and is asked by said MC why crew are not extending or coming on casual days, they can look 'em in the eye and say "because the crew want a better EBA".

I've said it before myself. It MUST be consistant. One in, all in. And the MC, the media, the union, other Rex staff and of course Rex passengers need to be aware that this is the real reason that their flight has no pilots.

yaddayadda
30th Oct 2008, 10:22
I'll start saying 'No' from now on then, only a small start but I'm sure that the momentum will grow in time.. By the time we get the full go ahead, we'll be well practiced up in saying this particular key word :)

PT6
30th Oct 2008, 11:27
Well said Goatwhaker. If the management committee won't negotiate in a fair and meaningful way to resolve the EBA then pressure is the only way forward unless capitulation is being considered. The pilots will need to show the committee that they are serious about negotiating a reasonable outcome.

neville_nobody
30th Oct 2008, 12:30
Surely working overtime is optional? They can't touch if you refuse I would have thought. Seem to work for the QF engineers

Tassie Devil
30th Oct 2008, 13:07
Dont answer your phone on days off or while on leave, that way there is no need to tell them anything!

KRUSTY 34
30th Oct 2008, 20:18
mr flappy is right.

Politely decline the offer. The folks in crewing are just trying to do their jobs under increasingly difficult circumstances, and the Chairman and senior management don't give a rats'!

Don't tell them why, that's your business. They (crewing) will understand. Just be nice guys, believe me you're all on the same team!

No1Dear
30th Oct 2008, 22:54
Why would you need to give an excuse not to work on a day off or not too work free overtime anyway?
You guys are on another planet.

Muff Hunter
30th Oct 2008, 22:55
this all sounds good in theory, but speaking from experience, the spinelss pricks that reside in our ranks will fark it for the rest..

it has all been said before.......

management counts on this, and will again laugh all the way to the bank when the jelly back d!ckheads roll over and allow them to continue down this path......

on a final note, don't rely on the afap to get a better deal, just look what they did to the JQ pilots..

solidarity is a word that most pilots would not know the meaning of.!!!:ugh:

nomorecatering
31st Oct 2008, 08:43
What do you get if you come in on your day off. Day in lieu or overtime?

Capt Wally
31st Oct 2008, 10:46
'Muff' powerful words there but sadly true:bored: All Co's as you mentioned count on the fact that solidarity is dead. The notion of working to rule so to speak is terrific but as others have said to be effective it has to be done by ALL.
I'm not sure of what's written in the current EBA at REX but most Co's tend to write in that your expected to work a fair & reasonable O/T when asked, nature of the job, The word 'reasonable' is questionable & is open to abuse I guess.
Yr worth more guys/gals that's obvious if what's been said in here over the years is anything to go by but getting that point across to the management will take a huge effort by ALL.

Good luck

CW

Howard Hughes
31st Oct 2008, 10:54
on a final note, don't rely on the afap to get a better deal, just look what they did to the JQ pilots..
Don't go blamimg the AFAP, they can only work on advice from the pilot group! I was recently involved with protected industrial action via AFAP and the result was favourable, but it is much easier to gain the support of twenty pilot's than it is three hundred!:ok:

LFandH
31st Oct 2008, 12:04
When you look at the night sky, you'll remember his name............THE NIGHT RIDER.

apache
31st Oct 2008, 13:39
I am pretty sure that IF REX wrote "fair and reasonable amount of overtime" in it's EBA, then it would ALREADY be achieved by some of the duties it assigns.
OVERTIME.... by australian definition is anything over 8 hours per day OR 40 hours per week.
when pilots get rostered just ONE 11 hour day,per month, then I think that they are Deemed to have done the overtime that any court would expect to be a reasonable compliance with that. The fact that they are ALLOWED to roster duties in excess of 8 hours would MORE than make up for that one phrase!!!!
That phrase " fair and reasonable amount of overtime" in my opinion, has been ommitted from ALL Airline EBA's at managements request since Adam was a boy, due to CAO48 rules and requirements.
CAO48, whilst being the pilots friend, has also allowed for "flexiible rostering",which allows for the OCCASIONAL 11 hour day. It also ensures that when one IS rostered for an 11 hour ToD, that a pilot cannot be rostered for this ToD EVERY day!!!!!
THE GA EBA, and almost every other EBA allows that a pilot MAY work 11 hour days OCCASIONALLY, and thet they may also be rostered for 90 hours duty time per fortnight.... well in excess of the 80 required by law
I think that ANY airline challenging the " fair and equitable amount of overtime phrase will probably find that they will be up for millions of $$$$ in backpay for anyone who ever worked more than 80 (or 76) houirs per fortnight.
Anyone who worked LESS, will be deemed to have met the requirements due to the company publishing a roster.
I do NOT think that any airline would want this phrase brought against them.

CTOT340
1st Dec 2008, 05:05
Any news on the EBA front?

What's the feeling on LKH's latest comments in the FF's? At lot of us have already been making 'extraordinary sacrifices' for quite some time. Some specifics would have been nice...

apache
1st Dec 2008, 07:27
can anyone clarify for me that although the pilots got the FINAL payrise in the current EBA, it IS still current thru to 30jun 09? and that negotiations have/should have started so that any new agreement will be signed, sealed and delivered ready to run on 1 july 09 ?

ie... any talking going on will not in fact have any bearing on conditions/wages till 01/07/09.

or am I wrong?

LM82
1st Dec 2008, 10:01
eba has well and truly expired.:*

Begs the question as to why is it still a topic of conversation when the new eba should of been signed sealed and delivered by now!

Inter-turbine
2nd Dec 2008, 11:14
All very good points about REX.

I have a mate who was offered an interview in Melbourne, he got the time off work, travelled, spent a good amount of cash on airfares etc, when he got there, it was cancelled on him!!

Good to see they treat people with respect!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mudflat
2nd Dec 2008, 11:22
Hello all,
Rex pilots...take industrial action...so they should, but i don't think they have the balls.

While there are guys not trained to operate the lifter, but can't stand up to the groundys at the out ports so do it any way, it won't happen.

While there are guys coming in on RDO's for a pathetic $250 or $350 for Capts, it won't happen. I know...some will say they need the money, but if pilots stop bailing out the company, they would be in a better position to negotiate a better EBA.

While there are guys that extend for no pay and therefore work FOR FREE, it won't happen.

While there are pilots answering the phone outside of STBY times and going in, it won't happen.

Industrial action requires ALL pilots to be involved. Unfortunatly there are to many soft guys that think they are doing themselves a favour by "helping out" the company, when all they are really doing is stuffing it up for everyone else.

KRUSTY 34
2nd Dec 2008, 16:41
Well said Mudflat :ok:

neville_nobody
2nd Dec 2008, 22:24
That mentality you speak of was bred in the GA world and is now flooding into the airline world.

bushy
3rd Dec 2008, 01:58
And when GA gets rid of the flood of "airline wannabies" it will be much better for everyone. The multicrew pilot licence may help fix it. Both safety and IR.

joblogs
3rd Dec 2008, 02:22
Everybody has to join together if only for a small amount of time..

this will be difficult as people are still extending for Free.. Why ????

did enough for free in the GA days REX is an Airline they should act like it and pay professional wages for a professional job.:ok:

first blog hi to all :ok:

Track Direct
3rd Dec 2008, 22:20
Mudflat, I agree with all you say, your post is spot on !:ok:
Unfortunately there will always be a few soft cocks who stuff it up for the rest !:ugh:

FlyingChipmunk
3rd Dec 2008, 23:56
Good on you Mudflat!
I have been saying "No" to Crewing so often that they have stopped trying. At one stage, I had to say no 5 times in a week, thrice to extending (:=:=) and twice to casual days.
Because I said "No" on a couple of those occasions, they subsequently had to cancel a few flights. I feel sorry for the passengers involved, but who feels sorry when I can't buy my kids the Xmas pressies that I cannot afford? :sad::sad: I might as well spend more time at home with them......and even then, the company tries to take that away......with NIL COMPENSATION!! What an insult.
Only fools work for free. Unfortunately, there's one born in REX every other day.

ohyeahright
3rd Dec 2008, 23:57
You guys are dead right, and I hate to say it, but the Pilot group is NOT standing together on this one.

We don't need to wait for the Feds to organise Industrial action, the power is already in our grasp.

A little restraint now is going to reward far greater than the crappy amount extra you make now.

STOP working RDO's, don't ever extend - even if the extension is rescuing fellow Crew, they will understand !!!

Come on people, I don't want to bring this airline down, there is still massive potential, but the ONLY way to improve our EBA is to be unified.

LM82
4th Dec 2008, 02:35
I agree with majority of what is said here except for the guys who justify working an RDO because they need the cash as they would/should of been fully aware of the T & C's before joining.
I know the money is crap but would one honestly take the job in the first place if it meant working RDO's to make ends meet and IF(doubtful) the crew numbers become sufficent again and they are not being asked to work RDO's anymore.....what then? Personally I would want to stop working RDO's as my own choice with the potential to gain from it later rather than not being able to work RDO's because there is no need.......do you think rex will be sympathetic to your money needs IF they have enough pilots and dont need you to work? they dont care how many times you help them and you will be on your own, while they laugh at how much cheaper it was for them by getting ppl in on RDO's rather than a payrise during tough times.:hmm:

Please dont confuse this as supporting the company as i am not and would be fully behind the pilot group 100% :ok:

Just my 2 cents worth

OH and lkh stop using the kitchen analogy as its getting old.:rolleyes:

bushy
4th Dec 2008, 02:47
Many of the people who stuffed up gA are now working for airlines, and they are stuffing them up too. Don't expect support.

Charliethewonderdog
4th Dec 2008, 04:42
Many of the people who stuffed up GA are now working for airlines, and they are stuffing them up too. Don't expect support.

You reap what you sow.....

I love listening to guys in Airlines now complaining about how shyte it is and it's nothing like they thought it was going to be. If only they had of respected the positions they held in GA then things at the top of the tree would be a-lot different.

I dont hold my fellow "colleges" in high regard and find it hard to believe that they actually are professionals, because the majority certainly dont believe they should be treated like one...... as long as they are flying that big shinny jet playing with their I-phones" who cares".....

If I could take the quotes from another thread " suck it up", " harden up ", WHY!!!......... so keep putting up with the cr@p that this industry is serving on all levels .... and reap what you sow.

We are fast becoming the joke of all other professions.

Who is sick of explaining to people what we "really" get paid..... and are equally sick of the peoples response " hmmm I thought pilots got paid alot more".

Waiting for the usual reply from the PPrune twits... here's one to start with.

" if you dont like it get out "

Mudflat
4th Dec 2008, 17:29
Teachers in Adel are taking industrial because they are not getting their 7% pay rise per year over the next 3 years. The engineers at QF got 5% per year with next to no off sets. Both of these groups stick together and achieve a good outcome (although I note the teachers haven't got it yet...but at least they are fighting for it) through being united.

I know the FOM in Adel is spruking it up saying 3% is fair and so on and that he'll go in on his days off and extend to help the company, but that is only because he is under the pathetically incompetent thumb of the head of check and training. (incompetent...just look at the check pass rate for the year....obvously HIS dept isn't doing something right).

It's time that the CP in this company stood up for the pilots for ONCE and gave them something to be happy about. Oh yeah, and while he's at it he can tell a certain young family member to pull his bloody head in...he's giving everyone the $hits.....well someone had to say it.

ohyeahright
4th Dec 2008, 20:59
Mudflat are you applying for the ADL Fom position - you sound like the person for the job.

Plenty of other truths that need to be said :D and heads to be kicked :ugh: particularly the one mentioned !

:ok:

Mudflat
5th Dec 2008, 00:33
ohyeahright,

The job was mine for the taking, but unfortunatly I failed the medical. Due to an old leg injury I couldn't bend over enough to touch my toes (which is a requirement for this position). I also have a spine, which apparently isn't required.

KRUSTY 34
5th Dec 2008, 10:41
Crack-up Mudflat! Good posts.

C.T.W.D. Unfortunately you are dead right. Trying to get some pilot groups to pull in the same direction is akin to holding the Red sea back with a broom. The very fact however that the profession has become a joke will eventually see the changes that are well overdue. Amongst many young Aussies the "profession" is about as popular as a pork chop at a Jewish wedding! That situation will one day see the restoration of T&C's to what they should be, but I'm afraid it will be after lots of pain for the company, and sadly those regional centres that depend on these essential services.

A good management team, a forward thinking management team, would have correctly identified these crewing issues from the outset. They would have understood that irrespective of the fortunes of Virgin, Jetstar, Qantas et'al, the decimation of G/A and the abandonment of the "profession" by an entire generation of young Australians, will ensure that this crewing crisis will be with us well into the future!

Predictably I'm afraid, the clowns that run the show see themselves as victims of the crewing shortage, rather than the contributors to it! They have tried everything short of recruiting Santa Clause in an effort to fill cockpits. Everything except what will ultimately be the only solution; A redefining of what the profession of Pilot is really worth.

It will come eventually, but only after a protracted period of Bullsh!t. In the meantime boys and girls, if you want the bullsh!t period to be months rather than years, say no to extensions, and no to working your RDO's.

Pixie Days
7th Dec 2008, 00:03
So this new guy you are talking bout

works casual days..... tick
happy working for peanuts.... tick
giving everyone the ****s.... tick
a mole to the CP.... tick

Sounds like the perfact candidite for FOM then :E

why doesnt he piss off back to sydeny:ok:

Tidbinbilla
7th Dec 2008, 04:21
Let's get back on topic, thanks.

joblogs1
7th Dec 2008, 09:33
how do the poor fo,s in syd expect to buy a slab of beer(social life) if they dont do a call out here and there.

totally agree we should all stick together but people have to survive .

How can we achieve this

l personally have stopped call outs.. Never extented in my life. Don't spend 70k and study like a bitch to get to atpl to work for free.

All the foms have quit. What are we to make of this?????????

joblogs1
7th Dec 2008, 09:43
Krusty good point of view

Good job Good A/C shut the cabin door good fun just need the money to keep people up the front.

Rediculous that the fA gets the same callout as the fo

The FA is very important in incident accident for the pax( l will never take away from the fa) but the fact of the mater the fo spent a fortune/studied/flew up north for nothing and constant checks...
Fa 2 weeks course...............??????

capt 5 fo 4 fa 3

nohumbug
7th Dec 2008, 09:47
well i hope those ditching Rex arent looking at M****r....
RUMOUR has it (NB: this is the Professional Pilots RUMOUR network)..that 20 pilots will be made redundant tomorrow. :(:(

Mudflat
7th Dec 2008, 19:30
Quote from Owen:
"From where I sit there are plenty of candidates for your job regardless of what it pays. All the kids talk about is an airline job not the remuneration :ugh:"

When I was a Rex FO and people found out what I earned they simply couldn't believe it....I had to tell them what I earned with a straight face just so they'd believe me. So from where your sitting do you think all these candidates are lining up regardless of what the pay is, or assuming what everyone else thinks and believes the pay is what it should be...unfortunatly not what it actually is?

The Stooge
7th Dec 2008, 21:11
Here we go again, if M****r drop 20 pilots tomorrow JD will come up with some more convoluted BULL**** that they will be our savior and will be able to open the BN base again. Pathetic isn't it.

fritzandsauce
7th Dec 2008, 22:51
Maybe another reason why pilots work RDO's or extend is they know if they don't there is a good chance that the flight will be cancelled leaving people stranded such as old Mavis who is going into surgery that afteroon for a hip replacement which she has been waiting 3 years for (Mavis is a fictional character btw) Maybe they care about their pax I dunno but could be why ...

max1
8th Dec 2008, 01:54
Fritzandsauce,

To what extent do the management of Rex owe Mavis this level of concern?
Before working out which flight/s will get the chop, do they endeavour to find out which flight Mavis is on, or do they work out which will hurt the company least?
Who put the pilots in this position?

Bo777
8th Dec 2008, 02:56
".....airline job". R_ E_ X an Airline, an AIRLINE :}:}:} that's one of the most outlandish statements I've heard all year! Honesty I thought it was a circus..........well they pay their pilots in peanuts, don't they???

fritzandsauce
8th Dec 2008, 03:27
Pilots should never be put in that position but maybe they feel obliged due to poor managment which is NOT the pilots fault at all

Zoomy
8th Dec 2008, 03:44
Question is "nohumbug" are you a professional Pilot or professional rumour starter?
Would love to hear where you found that little gem!:rolleyes:

No1Dear
8th Dec 2008, 04:05
"nohumbug well i hope those ditching Rex arent looking at M****r....
RUMOUR has it (NB: this is the Professional Pilots RUMOUR network)..that 20 pilots will be made redundant tomorrow."

nohumbug, I think you are full of it. I guess we will find out tomorrow.
The EBA at ****** is a fair one and if rex adopted a similiar one I suspect that many more of their pilots would consider their job a career position.

KRUSTY 34
8th Dec 2008, 08:23
I feel for the pilots at M@cair. It is interesting that the raising of their remuneration package now makes REX pilots the lowest paid "Large" regional pilots in the country! Not bad when you consider they were once the highest paid in the country (Kendell). IMHO however (re: M@cair), it's probably a case of too little, too late.

Slightly off topic I know, but M@cair's sim slots have been suspended due to the bills not being paid. Next may be cash for fuel, and if and when the wages don't go in on time, it's all but over.

My prediction: LKH is looking closely at the QLD operator. He will step in at the last minute and offer the Administrator/Liquidator a "fair" price. He will keep the HCAOC, and soon after delete the ATR from the fleet. Command issues for the youngu'ns will be minus one more hurdle and the now ex M@cair drivers will join the ranks of the lowest paid Regional pilots in the country!

Evil! Brilliant!!

Ramrod2
8th Dec 2008, 08:30
Bo777, Couldn't agree more. REX is a sad excuse for an airline. "Airline pilots" stick together and Airline managers listen to their pilot group especially once their EBA has expired.

LKH, JD, and CH are treating us all with contempt.

Bring on the PIA and lets stop playing games. We have all the Aces.... Lets use them.:*

lil_blueberry
9th Dec 2008, 23:23
My god;

It sucks the big one that the "economic crisis" has come at this time. Makes it hard to push for bigger wages and at the same time stop people working RDO's etc.

But, all I can say is ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER than words.
Is thats why LKH says "no cant pay pilots too much no money"...... yet REX just purchased four more aircraft, with not enough crew to fly the ones they have already!

A slap in the face to the EBA Negotiations. :=

So, Balls out of the handbags ladies, uh hum, I mean flight crew, we can whine all we want but until there is unity, and we will see when the votes are tallied, and in the way we conduct ourselves i.e. call outs etc there will be only fluff in the wind...... unfortunately that's what management and LKH know only too well.

Ps - to an earlier comment about telling people what you get paid; YES its F:mad:king embarrassing. :ugh:
No wonder people leave.

LM82
10th Dec 2008, 08:53
Just for clarity lil_blueberry :ok:

yet REX just purchased four more aircraft, with not enough crew to fly the ones they have already!

Rex Purchases 4 Saab340 AircraftMonday, 3 November 2008

Regional Express (Rex), today announced that it had purchased 4 Saab 340 B model aircraft. The aircraft were originally operating in the Rex fleet under a lease which expired in October 08. The acquisition was funded from Rex's operating cash flows.

The purchase brings the number of Saab 340 aircraft owned by Rex to 24.

Regional Express (Rex) is Australia’s largest independent regional airline operating a fleet of 40 Saab 340 aircraft on more than 1,200 flights weekly to 24 destinations from Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. The Rex Group comprises Regional Express, air freight and charter operator Pel-Air Aviation and Dubbo based regional airline Air Link, as well as the pilot academy Australian Airline Pilot Academy.

rmcdonal
10th Dec 2008, 21:33
Whats the difference between a flying school and a pilot academy Australian Airline Pilot Academy.
Im going to go with just the name?

Curved Approach
12th Dec 2008, 06:53
If we all stop working our Annual leave, RDO’s and never ever extend without payment, the cancellation rate will be astronomical. Management surely would have to ‘take stock’ and readdress their very strong stand point on the EBA.

The critical point being...ALL...pilots will continue to work casual days unless PIA is taken. The only way to band together and ensure all crew are supporting our push is PIA. It is illegal for the union or pilot committee or a group of union members to incite pilots to not work casual days etc (illegal industrial action).

Get off pprune gentlemen and email our union, email the rexpc, write letters. The AFAP is not our union, the REX pilots as a group are the union only represented by the AFAP so you need to make your opinions known to them so they may act on our behalf.

:ugh:This 3% x 3% x 3% over the next EBA or the 5% each year without profit share/share gift is a disgusting offer which drastically falls short. We should be pushing for 15-17% in the first year and then the option of 3% (with share) or 5% (without share in following years). And also linking the subsequential rises to CPI, so 3% or CPI whichever is greater.:ugh:

Curved Approach
12th Dec 2008, 06:56
On another note....when is LKH going to be voted off the board? :ugh:

p.s. PM me for any contact details of the PC or LC(AFAP)

apache
12th Dec 2008, 23:16
probably since he still owns over 50% of the shares personally.... NEVER