PDA

View Full Version : Do RAF ATCOs require a CAA medical?

littlehobo75
27th Oct 2008, 13:28
I was accepted for training by NATS in June this year. I have found out today after multiple appeals that I would not be granted a CAA medical because my pre-laser surgery eyesight is 0.5 dioptre outside the requirements. According to the CAA this is a purely political decision as there is no medical evidence for the uncorrected and pre-surgery refractive requirements. Indeed the FAA and CASA no longer have them. Unfortunately a couple of European states want to keep the regulations despite all evidence to the contrary (probably the French!)

Anyway, what I was wondering is, do the RAF & RN require their ATCOs to have a CAA Class 1 medical?

Lookatthesky
27th Oct 2008, 16:05
No they don't.

You will need to pass an RAF/RN medical though, although their website isn't exactly helpful. Maybe a telephone call to your local RAF/RN careers office would help?

Good luck

Grabbers
27th Oct 2008, 18:26
Although you will need your head examining.:E

DC10RealMan
27th Oct 2008, 19:37
Littlehobo,

You must always remember that you will be a military person first and atco second. That may mean occupying a foxhole and getting shot at as part of your military role.

glider insider
27th Oct 2008, 22:47
As a serving ATCO who is investigating laser surgery myself, I have recently been given all the rule book to read, and unfortunately the RAF do not accept applications from those who have already had laser surgery. I believe they consider the long term effects unknown. Once you are serving, you have to go through the approved centres if you wish to have the surgery, which has to be completed by a consultant surgeon (thereby doubling the cost). Sorry if this is not the news you were hoping for.

littlehobo75
27th Oct 2008, 23:03
Ironic that as I was reading this thread there was a banner ad for Laser surgery at the bottom of the page!