PDA

View Full Version : Verbatim college learning

mike1711
25th Oct 2008, 18:16
:)Have just found out that I have been placed on the area course at college.

After reading up on these forums a bit I have read about the verbatim learning that you have to do at college:ugh::ugh:

I was wondering if any current TATCO's or anyone who knows could give me a better idea about what this entails. ie.

What information do you have to learn? ( is it mats pt1 or other info as well?)

What amount (roughly) of info do you need to commit to memory?

Any tips? (besides pray:E)

Many thanks in advance to all:ok:

ImnotanERIC
25th Oct 2008, 18:59
mats one and two, parts of aviation law. etc etc. its a lot. takes a good couple of weeks home study to get it in before the exam. pass the exam and then dump the knowledge and move on to the next hurdle. thats the way to do it. its very boring. but its more about memory recall and ability to hold information than the info you are actually spouting. this will be tested in oral boards, practical assessment (shows understanding) and the few multiple choice exams during the course

mike1711
25th Oct 2008, 19:03
You mean you have to commit mats pt1 and 2 in its entireity to memory?:eek::eek:

or just part of it?

ZOOKER
25th Oct 2008, 19:36
MATS PT 1,
I think you need a detailed knowledge of Sections 1, 4 and 5.
MATS PT 2,
The General bits and the details of the sectors you will be training on.
Also,
Relevant parts of the ANO. CAP413, and the UKAIP.
Your instructors should tell you what to commit to memory and what is background information.
I think ATC is probably like most things though, you never stop learning.

P.S. Don't forget to study a UK airways map too! :ok:

smellysnelly2004
25th Oct 2008, 22:15
mike 1711,

Check your messages

mike1711
25th Oct 2008, 22:29
cheers smellysnelly

have just replied, only just got in from the cinema:ok:

bottom rung
25th Oct 2008, 23:46
Best get used to it. When you get to your first unit there will be a whole new load of facts and figures to learn ad verbatim. All part of the job I'm afraid. As for the college: I'm sure you will be well aware of what you need to learn within a few days. Rest the old noggin before you go as it will be working overtime once you get there!

JonG
25th Oct 2008, 23:55
You don't need to study a UK airways map.

Steakpie
26th Oct 2008, 09:50
If tradition still stands the previous course will e-mail some-one a TATC made publication with about 120 pages gleened form Mats 1, 2 AIP and lesson notes. If you commit them to memory the theory tests (which involve regurgitating paragraphes at a time) will be no problem and if you learn it well you'll be suprised how easy it is to bring it back for other tests, and oral boards both at the college and when you do your UVC at units. I was recently asked about transfer of control and I opened my mouth and out came the mats 1 definition!

Good luck

Ballstroker
26th Oct 2008, 10:10
You don't need to study an airways map, but if your UK geography isn't great, particularly places significant to aviation, it'll stand you in good stead in the long run to know where places are.

mike1711
26th Oct 2008, 10:39
Thanks for all of the info so far guys, its all much appreciated:ok::ok:

Keep it comin:}

bottom rung
26th Oct 2008, 10:46
You probably already know, but the top tip for learning all of the required info is to get a stack of blank postcards and write the definitions, rules, sample questions etc etc etc on them. Carry them around with you and just keep going over them when you have a few spare minutes. Handy for brainstorming sessions in the pub with the other trainees.

hold at SATAN
26th Oct 2008, 10:54
I left the college about 15 yrs ago, but nonetheless, don't get overwhelmed by the prospect of the theory stuff. Yes it's important, but it forms a part of your course. The bulk of it is in the application of theory via practical excercises, which you will build up to through exercises. You won't be required to know everything verbatim in part 1 and 2 at the same time, just the relevant section or subject area.

Relax, study hard, enjoy and don't get yourself in a tizz about what's much farther down the road.

PS: some of the instructors may be percieved to be ba$stard$ but mostly just an act. keep your head down, dont pi$$ anybody off and you'll be fine

mike1711
26th Oct 2008, 10:58
bottomrung,

thanks for that, looks like a trip to WH SMITH for me:8

Do you have any better idea What information you have to learn? ( is it mats pt1 or other info as well?)
What amount (roughly) of info do you need to commit to memory?

If tradition still stands the previous course will e-mail some-one a TATC made publication with about 120 pages gleened form Mats 1, 2 AIP and lesson notes.

Any current or recent TATC's please feel free to PM me and i'll give you my email address:ok:

I wouldn't mind getting a headstart, thanks again

bottom rung
26th Oct 2008, 11:45
Afraid I'm well out of date with the college courses.. I went thru about 20 years ago! Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some recent pointers. Don't bust a gut before the college though.