PDA

View Full Version : CHC Helicopter Corporation

pelican ltd
25th Oct 2008, 06:50
Hello,

Just trying to gather some info on CHC working conditions as base ops manager and its operations?

Any past threads on this forum that could anwser my query or should it be posted elsewhere?

Thanks for your comments.

Good day.

smickey
25th Oct 2008, 09:11
Overall, a very good company to work for. Working conditions vary from base to base depending on the stability and social/economic development of the area, but range from satisfactory in the worst case, to very good in most cases. There are pros and cons to each base, but the bottom line is the company makes the best effort to provide good acommodations and conveniences. Main bases are in Thailand, Malaysia, Africa and former Russian countries.

Work schedules vary from base to base, but you will generally get at least a day or two off a week and fly an average of 90 hrs during a 6 week tour...some bases more, some less.

In my opinion, they are a professional and safe organization with good aircraft and a great bunch of maintainers/pilots to work with.....one of the reasons the company has a very low attrition rate!

the delaminator
25th Oct 2008, 17:56
I would add that their pay scale is in part based on the lifestyle of the base you are working. Thus Nigeria pays much more than Malasia.

Also benefits package second to none in the business and the training is outstanding.

Major drawback is it takes two days sitting up to get to work and get home. That just sucks.

pelican ltd
26th Oct 2008, 15:35
Thanks very much for your useful feedback which seems very positive and confirmed the general feedback received so far.

Just need to get the job now... :-))).

All the best.

s92fella
26th Oct 2008, 15:42
What's the pay like in Nigeria? Tax free or paid............

the delaminator
26th Oct 2008, 18:43
"What's the pay like in Nigeria? Tax free or paid............"

Taxes are something that is between you and your Government. If you live in Canada you will qualify for a tax credit that simply put will reduce your taxable income by about 80% on the first 80'000 CDN dollars you earn.

To be tax free in Canada means you are not a resident. So then the question is where are you a resident of? If the answer is Dubai then you are indeed tax free. If the answer is Germany then you are most certainly not.

Some countries have lenient rules regarding non resident tax status (like Australia) and some (like Canada) are very stringent.

I'm a year out of date on the pay in Nigeria or anywhere else at this time so I won't comment accept to say it is more than you will make for any of the companies in the sandbox.

The pay is in CDN dollars which are worth about 20% less against USD then they were two months ago.

Very_Low_and_Fast
28th Oct 2008, 15:52
smickey,

You have obviously never been to any CHC African base. Or spoken to anyone who works there. Where are you based? Maybe we should all go there…

:oh:

smickey
28th Oct 2008, 18:18
very low and fast,

Yes, I've enjoyed the African experience......like I said, conditions range from 'satisfactory'...to better.....and it's no mental challenge to figure out that Africa is the likely area that fits the 'satisfactory' end of the scale...but you don't often hear of a CHC driver that leaves Africa/company because the working conditions are unsatisfactory. It's no picnic, but tolerable....but that's just my opinion.