PDA

View Full Version : Egll 119.725

iranair777
23rd Oct 2008, 13:44
I want to thank and congratulate the people at shanwick/west drayton (or wherever you control EGLL approach from :p ) on the job you do every day. I listen to 119.725 usually every morning on the way and back from school and i love hearing the proffesionalism!

two questions for now;
- Multi comtrollers on 119.725? :uhoh: :p seriously, how does that work?
- Wind checks - what are they for? of course for checking wind, but why would you need wind checks at low alt. like that?
- what is the different frequencies that link towards 119.725?

Thanks guys and keep up the banter! (remember, i'm listening ;) )

Tacklebury
23rd Oct 2008, 14:50
EGLL is controlled from Swanwick control center in hampshire. They transfer to the tower when they are about 5 miles out (i'm not an ATCO so it might not be 5 miles, but they are usually pretty close!)

Multi Controllers is simple. Two Radars, same frequency and an understanding of what each other will do.

Wind is critical closer to the ground! Once you are at height its not so much of a problem but if you are low and slow it is very important!

Not sure about the frequency for approach, sorry.

With a bit of luck an ATCO will answer your questions! (and correct my answers!!)

AJ7
23rd Oct 2008, 15:58
Transfer to the tower is usually 8-10 miles out once established, but can be as low as 4-5, also depends how quickly the crew contact the tower.

classicwings
23rd Oct 2008, 15:59
IranAir777

FYI Heathrow Approach has been controlled from Swanwick since Novemeber last year when it was transferred from West Drayton.

viaEGLL
23rd Oct 2008, 16:25
iranair 777 A basic reply to your questions;

Multi controllers on 119.725? seriously, how does that work?

Basically main controller plus a support controller.
Support controller is aiding with phone coordination and stack management this allows the main controller (or director) more time to plan the traffic.

Wind checks - what are they for? of course for checking wind, but why would you need wind checks at low alt. like that?

Strength and direction of the wind for Final approach controller giving him/her this information for vectoring. Maybe sometime 3000' feet wind is used for predicting the landing rate/flow requirements.

what is the different frequencies that link towards 119.725?
Sorry need to know bases only:E:E

or wherever you control EGLL approach from?
Swanwick. We have our own special room with gold plated thrones:E:E

classicwings
23rd Oct 2008, 17:35
via EGLL, So I presume Stansted don't have their own room and get bronze plated thrones, or are they just assigned to clean Heathrow's gold plated ones?;)

viaEGLL
23rd Oct 2008, 17:38
classicwings!

Stansted just have a reading group as far as i can see!

Bronze nah! More like lead;);)

classicwings
23rd Oct 2008, 17:42
via EGLL I dare not ask how the Luton contingency must be treated down there!!:}:}:}

ImnotanERIC
23rd Oct 2008, 17:43
if stansted get lead, what do luton get? sick on radar?:}

viaEGLL
23rd Oct 2008, 17:46
Luton did you say Luton! Is Luton radar done from Swanwick:E:E

Before this becomes a different thread i am only joking :E Maybe;)

classicwings
23rd Oct 2008, 17:52
viaEGLL Atleast you dont have to share the same room as Luton Radar! Have they recently partitioned off Terminal Control? I thought it was all open plan:E:E

viaEGLL
23rd Oct 2008, 17:55
We all work in one harmonious Operations room;)
Did i mention we have our own room:E

classicwings
23rd Oct 2008, 17:58
We have our own special room with gold plated throneshttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gifhttp://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif

Sorry!

I am sure everyone gets along fine in TC.

viaEGLL
23rd Oct 2008, 18:11
I have just been informed the area in the ops room thought to have been a sun lounger area was actually LUTON:ooh::ooh:

I did realise i mentioned the own room DOH:E

classicwings
23rd Oct 2008, 19:24
Quick question-

Now that AC and TC have been reunited again, can one refer to Swanwick as 'LATCC' just as it used to be at West Drayton before AC moved out of there?

ImnotanERIC
24th Oct 2008, 11:48
in short no.

classicwings
24th Oct 2008, 14:57
Surely it is incorrect to still refer to it as 'LACC'.:confused:

Radarspod
24th Oct 2008, 15:27
Unless you are LATCC Mil, no. Keep having to drum it into engineering colleagues - Swanwick is the Centre, LAC and LTC are the units. :ok:

Just out of interest, what will happen at Prestwick Centre, will it be MAC and ScACC at Prestwick?

Talla Radar
26th Oct 2008, 14:32
No, the MACC and ScACC units will become one unit, probably PAC.

rodan
26th Oct 2008, 14:41
Interesting. Will there be a common RT callsign as well?

chevvron
26th Oct 2008, 15:55
Presumably the 'P' in PAC refers to 'Preston'. (5's clear Barton)

PPRuNe Radar
26th Oct 2008, 17:56
NATS and the CAA have balked at the suggestion of Manwick Control.

I know quite a few manic controllers so what's their problem ? :cool:

iranair777
27th Oct 2008, 11:45
Thanks for the reply guys! If i have more i'll post them here :)