PDA

View Full Version : Pilots over 60 flying together?

whatdoesthisbuttondo
21st Oct 2008, 11:47
Reading the last page of the October/November balpa Log, there is an article about two pilots over 60 not being allowed to fly together under JAA rules?

I was surprised to read this as I was unaware of any restriction in the UK in this area. Is this actually a rule or am I incorrect?

BOAC
21st Oct 2008, 11:56
Yes and yes:}

whatdoesthisbuttondo
21st Oct 2008, 12:00
Ah thanks. Yes, my last two questions weren't very well phrased.

BelArgUSA
21st Oct 2008, 18:36
Couple of years ago, I ferried a 747-200 for "desert-retirement" to Mojave.
We pilots were both over 60... the flight engineer was a hair over 65.
Incredible how senile crewmembers are permitted to be, by ICAO and FAA..
That is "outside" airline operations, such as ferry flights.
xxx
The flight engineer hearing-aid was wired to the hot battery bus.
My heart pacemaker was on the essential bus.
Other pilot tapped his white cane to find his way to the flight deck.
But the Jeppesen charts we had were in the Braille edition.
xxx
:*
Happy contrails

hetfield
21st Oct 2008, 18:45
:O:ok::O:ok::D

Got it!!!

barit1
21st Oct 2008, 20:19
ROFL!!

I would have given ANYTHING to be BelArgUSA's pax :ok:

Roadtrip
21st Oct 2008, 20:50
Safety is not affected whatsoever by over 60 year old pilots. That's why there's a prohibition against two of them flying together.

411A
21st Oct 2008, 21:55
It may interest a few folks to realise that a few countries are considering...70.
Yup, true.

In these cases, both pilots heart pacemakers are directly wired to the hot battery bus...just for good measure.
A nurse stands by for the Flight Engineer...:ooh:

777fly
22nd Oct 2008, 00:51
The statistical probability of two over-60's pilots becoming simultaneously incapacitated ( OK, within an hour or so ) is within the realms of the unlikely 10 X -14 probabilities used to predict catastrophic failure during a CAT 3 landing. We are still checked every 6 months and most of us who are still flying keep ourselves fitter than most 30 year olds. Not to mention that we don't get so stressed out, we've seen it before.
I see no logical reason to prevent 2 over 60's flying together, we jump through the same hoops to prove our flying ability as a 20 year old. Medical statistics do not prove that we are a bigger risk, so it is basically down to 'ageism'. I believe that this is now illegal, at least within the EU. Some people are surprised that we can use a computer!

I now only work because I enjoy what I do. My airline needs me, my licence and my experience. When they grow past that I will move on. I love my profession and it might take a missile to get me down from my place in the sky. I suspect that the ultimate ceiling at 65 will do it before that happens......

barit1
22nd Oct 2008, 02:16
The plus factor of course is that both pilots will be able to hand-fly TO to RW turnoff. :ok:

Old Fella
22nd Oct 2008, 07:43
As a now retired 68 year old F/E I think the nurse on standby for the F/E mentioned by 411A would not be there to give medical treatment, but to assess his 'capabilities' post flight!!! Seriously, a good mate has just retired at age 67 + 9 months, not because he could not meet any medical or operational requirement, but rather because his company has pensioned off their B727F's.

Tee Emm
22nd Oct 2008, 12:31
Bloody frustrating. At age 24 in Australia with 2000 hours on four engine bombers I was told by Ansett Airlines I was too old to join Ansett as a first officer. At age 27 I applied again with more hours and was told the upper age was now 26. Too old again. Reached age 60 flying 737's and was told too old now so bugger off on 60th birthday. Reached 67 and saw age limit go up to 65. Curses - foiled again. Now I see consideration of pilots going to 70 and I am bloody 76. I wish time would stop still for a few years and the next pilot retirement age might catch up with me...

Pugilistic Animus
22nd Oct 2008, 16:42
I was at an airshow and the 76 year Sikorsky chopper pilot seem to have absolute no trouble putting her through her paces---now when it come to chopper I know all the blah blah blah--LTE/ dead mans curve/ground resonance---------

---with airplanes the aerodynamics background helped tremendously and my CFI was just a facilitator---I began as an airplane pilot from the zeroth hour TO--to landing including radio--I taught myself to fly [airplanes]---period--I know others---- who've done the same---but from a pilot's viewpoint choppers to me are:\:sad::{ so As far as age---it' seem like in all practical reality age is a number--BTW: the Oldest pilot ever was flying at 103---so let'em fly and learn from them as they've survived a quite intensive Natural selection process:E

PA

mnttech
22nd Oct 2008, 17:48
A nurse stands by for the Flight Engineer...http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/icon25.gif

Darn, I never got any of the good flights!

Pace
22nd Oct 2008, 18:04
I have a friend who is old enough to be my father yet young enough to be a good friend.

He is 76 and this year alone completed 32 ferries with aircraft from the States to the UK or Back.

Most of the ferries in light twins or ropey old singles. I keep telling him that one day he will end up as a hole in the sea but he doesnt care.

Both his parents ended up demented in their 80s and he would rather do what he loves doing with a risk than going their way.

He has a greater enthusiasm and love of life than most half his age.

So if you pass the medical and someone says NO I think you should shout PREJUDICE AND SUE.

Pace

lostcomm
23rd Oct 2008, 08:59
I think there are other things out there. Retire, fly for fun at the local grass strip buy a sail boat, restore a car or built an ultralight out of a kit.....

There are other things in life beside flying 100 tons of metal from A to B and then sleep in a hotel just to get back the next day.

Make room so cadets can make F/O, F/O can make captains, captains can make instructors. I guess you were all cadets one day too.

You can`t stop the time.

brgds
LC

parabellum
23rd Oct 2008, 11:37
Lostcomm - We have every right to fly for as long as we are physically, legally and competently able - so will you have one day.

Don't join that bunch of silly youngsters who can't see past the end of their own nose but expect everyone above them to move out of their way, they have no Right of Passage and we have no obligation to retire earlier than we need simply to facilitate their upward movement.

A Comfy Chair
23rd Oct 2008, 13:12
I do not want to stop pilots over 60 from flying, however, as part of the extention to 65 for RPT flying, certain states imposed a restriction that 2 pilots over the age of 60 couldn't fly together.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable restriction to place; certainly until some more study is done to assess any enhanced risk of inflight incapacitation. It isn't prohibiting anyone from operating, just placing some (most likely temporary) restrictions.

Of note is that the only country that has actually done significant studies on risks associated with older pilots so far was the most notable one opposing the extention.

777Fly, Your airline may need your experience. But wouldn't it be better for the future of aviation if you were passing that knowledge on to someone under 60 sitting next to you? For me, the upside of the rule is that some of us younger pilots get the opportunity to fly with the +60's on their more favoured routes, so they can pass their knowledge onto us, rather than the 65 year old normally sitting next to them :ok:

BelArgUSA
23rd Oct 2008, 15:37
Where the 65 age is applied, the "two pilots" over 60 rule is observed.
Of course the majority of you now speak "two pilots"...
I still fly airplanes with a crew of "2 pilots and 1 flight engineer".
Personally, I would waive that rule for crews of 3 airmen.
Then you have the case of augmented (long range crews) with 3 pilots.
Such as on the 747-400s, or the A-340.
For them, just make the rule applicable for takeoff and landing.
xxx
In my airline, we have some additional limitation for "old farts".
Transition to another type aircraft must be completed before age 55.
Application of the saying "you don't teach old dogs new tricks"...
At my age, I could still learn another plane, with steam powered gages.
Being senile, I would call "Fire engine nš 4 on a... 737NG...!
But what in the hell, I don't like watching TV and play with joysticks.
xxx
Fully agreed about being an old fart and teaching the young kids.
That is what I did for most of my career, since I became captain.
Young guys love to fly with me, not for my corny jokes only.
You want to be PF in the LHS...? We have no rule against that.
Captain's discretion, if captain is a check-pilot.
xxx
I agree, delayed retirement also delays your upgrade to that paycheck.
But guys... a later retirement permits airline hiring of more mature pilots.
For those of you who were not lucky to be hired in the RHS at age 22.
Instead of a limit of, say 35 for hire, 40 or 45 can be considered.
So, do not be too negative about me occupying "your" seat.
xxx
Now get your foot OFF my oxygen mask hose...!
My last flight will be in 4 weeks, then I retire and get my gold Rolex.
And I will visit Pprune and rant once or twice a week about "the old days".
And the real airplanes such as the 747-200s.
xxx
:}
Happy contrails

parabellum
24th Oct 2008, 03:21
"Of note is that the only country that has actually done significant studies on risks associated with older pilots so far was the most notable one opposing the extension"

I don't think the UK CAA have done extensive studies into older pilots but several AMEs in the UK have been studying the subject from the medical point of view for twenty or thirty years and reached the conclusion that the period between sixty and sixty five is not high risk.

777fly
24th Oct 2008, 14:05
'A Comfy Chair'

As it happens, because of the restriction on 2 over-60's flying together, I do fly all the time with younger pilots! I can therefore pass on the benefit of my experience when appropriate. The main value in getting the restriction removed would be to increase both rostering flexibility and my continued employment prospects.

airsupport
25th Oct 2008, 03:22
two pilots over 60 not being allowed to fly together

Some of these regulations are just ridiculous, given that these two Pilots are fully qualified, with current medicals and are probably very experienced, that would be the Crew that I WOULD want to fly with. :ok:

And yes I am 61, but NOT a Pilot.

Bertie Thruster
26th Oct 2008, 08:22
Just getting a little word in here for us frustrated single seat public transport pilots approaching the (CAA) mandatory retirement age of 60.

With a couple of years to run to that 60 cut off, I've finally got to do the type of work that caught my attention as a kid. (Whirlybirds! Mash!!) :8

I'm leaner, fitter and with lower cholesterol and BP than 15 years ago!:ok: (no medication, just will power)

To cap it all I'm now flying around in my own fully equipped ambulance with two paramedics on immediate call!......but an arbitary birthday pulls the plug! :ugh:

inxs
1st Feb 2012, 07:15
Yes, I remember those days when the 2 airline policy used to rule the roost in Australia. I remember when you were too old at age 27, after that they threw out your application forever. Bloody sods !! Gross discrmination nowadays.
You tell a young guy or gal this happened in the 70s, and they think your're crazy.:mad::yuk::ugh:
Downright disgusting and it was all nepotism and jobs for the boyz.

Slasher
1st Feb 2012, 07:40
A good thing about having two blokes over 60 in the cockpit
is that they're both too old to bull**** each other. So CRM and
keeping an eye out for each other's arse would come naturally.

Downright disgusting and it was all nepotism and jobs for the boyz.

During my time with TAA some old blokes told me Freemason
membership dictated some top flight ops positions during the
50s and early 60s. Same over at Reg's mob. I didn't see any
of that though during the 80s.

mustafagander
1st Feb 2012, 08:06
I'm rather used to it!!!