View Full Version : Cheapest/easiest way into flying?

sharksandwich
20th Oct 2008, 18:44
Has anyone else looked into this?
I would love to learn to fly, but getting a PPL is pointless unless one has the means to fly fairly regularly.
Gliding club -need the time committment to spend most of the day at the club, and then only getting a few short minutes in the air on a line.
Not keen on hang-gliding, or motored parachutes.
I would prefer something that looks at least like a real aeroplane, preferably two-seater, but does not need a PPL.
Any ideas?

Sorry... If you don't have the commitment for a Gliding Club as an introduction to flying, or the money to spend on a PPL in a flying club, you may be wasting ANY money you decide to spend on flying.

Gliding is without a doubt the BEST way to learn about flying!

Thanks, intruder.
Perhaps I should give more info:
At present my wife and I work shift opposite each other incl. weekends.
Weekends are perforce taken up with childcare.
I shall semi-retire in 2 years when I will be 55.
So I don't have at present a whole day to devote to a club.
A year ago I tried 6 aero- tows at Lasham, as I have always loved sailplanes rather that power, however my inability to co-ordinate rudder and elevator, and the lack of lift so that even the instructor couldn't get a flight over 18 mins, put me off a bit.
Also in 2 years my psycho-motor skills will probably be worse.
I suppose I was looking for a realistic cost for a decent microlight and sufficient lessons to fly it before I am too old to realise my life deam of flying.
I am sure I am not alone in having an unachieved ambition, which might just be achievable!

airborne_artist
20th Oct 2008, 19:31
Become an instructor on an Air Cadet Volunteer Gliding Squadron - no previous experience required.

Genghis the Engineer
20th Oct 2008, 19:37
It sounds to me that you are looking for 3-axis microlights, to get an NPPL(M), then buy a share in a cheap club aeroplane.

It worked for me umpty-ump years ago when I'd just graduated from university, had no money, but wanted to fly. Over the years I've added numerous licences, types, and so-on but never had to suffer that big initial outlay.

The BMAA website will tell you local schools, and most school / club websites (or just going and talking to them) will tell you about costs and availability of shares. But, very roughly reckon on £4k to get your licence, anything between £300-£10,000 for a club aircraft share, then something in the order of £30-£70/hr to fly it, depending upon what you buy a share in.

Regarding stick/rudder co-ordination: that'll give you trouble in the first 6 flights as a newbie flying virtually anything. Relax and enjoy the learning experience and you'll be fine. Eventually!

Gliding is great but requires patience and time (on the other hand, so does much other flying - it requires a fairly obsessive nature.) There are days when you're lucky to get 10 minutes in a glider, and other days when you can stay up for hours just enjoying the sheer pleasure of flying. All forms of aviation are however rather weather dependent - especially here in Britain.

G

ChampChump
20th Oct 2008, 20:12
Another option: the motor glider. It costs a good bit less than microlight training (or did - I have no up-to-date prices handy).

You get the best of both worlds, a proper tailwheel aeroplane and all the necessary should you wish later to 'trade up' to Group A, in old-speak.

I don't think you can escape entirely the need to take some some of PPL, but the SLMG/NPPL route sounds more suitable for you.

Just my two-pennyworth.

That said, & in addition to what GtE said, you can get a good single seat microlight for £3-3500.

Cheap* flying is possible.

* Yes, I know.... :rolleyes:

DavidHoul52
20th Oct 2008, 21:17
before I am too old to realise my life deam of flying

At 55 you are probably younger than the average PPL. I know of one student who is in his eighties. There is also at least one instructor in his eighties.

MIKECR
20th Oct 2008, 21:25
To the original poster - a number of gliding clubs are now moving away from the traditional 'hang around all day' method for getting a flight. In similar to power flying clubs, it is now possible to book training slots at specific times of the day. There has to be a degree of flexibility of course, but so far, the system is working well, certainly at my local club.

sharksandwich
21st Oct 2008, 05:57
Thanks to all who have responded.
Just one last quick question-is a PPL required for a trike ultra/microlight?

Genghis the Engineer
21st Oct 2008, 06:42
Yes, and no!

There are quite a variety of things which are called a "PPL".

For either 3-axis or flexwing microlights, you need an NPPL(M) which is normally a (minimum) 25 hour syllabus. (You can reduce this a bit if willing, initially, to be restricted to no more than 8 nautical miles from your take-off point).

You can then, if you wish, upgrade to an NPPL(SEP) allowing flight in light aircraft subject to certain restrictions (UK only, daylight only, visual conditions only, not the more complex aircraft). If you did that from scratch it would be a 32 hour syllabus.

Somewhere in between lies the NPPL(TMG) - Touring Motor Gliders, which is similar in demand and privileges to the NPPL(SEP).

* SEP= Single Engine Piston.

After that, again if you wish, you can further upgrade to the common European JAR-PPL(SEP) -this would nominally be a 45 hour syllabus if starting from scratch. The big deal with this one, is that you can use it internationally and add ratings to potentially fly just about anything, anywhere - if you can afford it.

All of these are a "PPL", but the costs, number of exams, time to obtain, vary significantly.

G

tggzzz
26th Oct 2008, 19:26
A year ago I tried 6 aero- tows at Lasham, as I have always loved sailplanes rather that power, however my inability to co-ordinate rudder and elevator, and the lack of lift so that even the instructor couldn't get a flight over 18 mins, put me off a bit.
Also in 2 years my psycho-motor skills will probably be worse.Don't worry about not being able to coordinate turns in a glider in just 6 flights. I started at 50 and don't regard myself as anything more than average, but I learned. OTOH, if you *expect* your psycho-motor skills to be *significantly* worse in 2 years, perhaps you shouldn't consider any form of aviation.

Also consider taking a "gliding holiday" in which you'll get 5 flights/day for £300-£600.

Short flights? Who cares? As a beginner, you need launch/circuits experience. If they're not exciting enough, deliberately entering spins at ~1000ft is an experience not to be missed :)

Can't predict how long a flight will be? That's part of the fun - you fit in with the wind/air, not the other way around. For example, recently someone generously offered me the chance to be ballast in an ASH25, which has a glide angle of 60:1. The second flight was 2.5 hours. But the first was only 6 mins, which is a notable achievement :)

IMHO powered flying is boring - too similar to being in a noisy under powered car.

Lister Noble
26th Oct 2008, 19:41
Powered flight isn't boring,flying gliders isn't boring,sailing boats isn't boring,driving motorboats needn't be boring.
Being bored is a state of mind,sorry,a very sad state of mind.
If you are bored,you are probably rather boring!;);)

Note my age!!!
I got my licence 2 days after my 63'rd birthday,and I don't have any trouble with co-ordination :ok:
Lister