PDA

View Full Version : Ready for ATSOCAS?

glider insider
19th Oct 2008, 22:54
Just wondering how your all getting along training for the new ATSOCAS. It's raised some interesting questions where I work, especially with the deeming on CAS rules.

March 12th, a day to sit back and watch, methinks...

Not Long Now
20th Oct 2008, 08:13
I've put my dvd aside and ignored it. Still 5 months til d-day and I can't remember what I read last week, so pointless thinking about it for me 'til much nearer the time.
I'm presuming (NATS) there'll be some briefing/training etc forthcoming at a later date.

Stan Evil
20th Oct 2008, 13:15
I've just gone through the CD and it says that the changes are not just a change in the names of the services but, to a simple pilot like me, that seems to be all that has really changed. What subtleties have I missed?

MikeJ
20th Oct 2008, 14:35
My own reading of CAP 774 which defines the new services does seem to confirm that RIS and RAS are effectively similar to the new Trafic and Deconfliction srvices respectively.
But the new Basic Service seems to be dramatically different from the exisiting FIS.

Extract from AIP ENR 1.1.2 1.2(d) Current FIS

"Whenever possible, the FISO will tell aircraft of known traffic in the vicinity and will also warn them when his/her information clearly suggests a possibility of dangerous proximity."

Extract from CAP 774 Basic Service

"Pilots should not expect any form of traffic information from a controller/FISO, as there is no such obligation placed on the controller/FISO under a Basic Service outside an Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ)"

Will there be any point in asking for a basic service in most situations, or even reporting your passage past an airfield if the information is not going to be used? Especially if that airfield does not have radar, ie 95% of them!

2 sheds
20th Oct 2008, 17:46
MikeJ

The "rules" regarding the passing of traffic information (or not) under provision of a Basic Service seem to have been very poorly thought out - and are quite contradictory in some areas of CAP774. This has been firmly pointed out to CAA !

2 s