PDA

View Full Version : Air Niugini News

Pages : 1 [2]

DingoMuddy
3rd May 2010, 08:29
One Canadian down. One Sri Lankan reinstalled. Another Sri Lankan must be worried as the Canadian knows plenty. Must be serious if he was removed. Like pigs at the trough!

NDVP
4th May 2010, 00:03
Absolutely right Dingo! Assuming the Canadian's unhappy I think we can anticipate a few more running for cover in the near future.

Has anybody seen any audited / official / unofficial / make-believe / delusional (Delete as applicable) financial statements from PX since 2005?

Checklist Charlie
5th May 2010, 02:42
What the Canadian would know about all kinds of dirty linen would be massive. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when his departure was announced to him. The 4th floor would have reverberated worse than a guria

Anybody seen Col ?

CC

Baz from the Bush
5th May 2010, 02:47
Does anybody remember the scandal involving a certain Director of Aviation and a certain Aircrew Administration Manager for Air Niugini in the very early 90's! Rated a mention in the Drum as well!:ok::D

TurbTool
5th May 2010, 03:51
BAZ, did it have anything to do with testing the mattresses in hotel rooms being considered for crew overnights?;)

SHAGGS
6th May 2010, 01:17
Word is that quite a few of the Dash 8 pilots are not very happy with the way things are managed. Things like tours, promotions and the introduction of the Q400, not to mention crewing are the major issues. Although there are a couple of guys bouncing of walls because the Massey Ferguson Tractor owner/driver has been slightly displaced into another role.

Given the way the airlines in OZ are recruiting at the moment there could be a mass walkout in the near future. As mentioned above, the problems aren't so much with the flying, it's really related to management issues which directly relate to peoples lifestyles. PNG itself is hard enough to live and work in, let alone having management and crewing treat pilots like machines.

NDVP
6th May 2010, 23:58
On the subject of management, word has it that the Aus cargo manager, the Phillipino treasury manager and the PNG properties manager are now out on the street.

It seems that the Canadian's contract was not renewed but he is to be retained as a consultant for the Q400's. This will give him carte blanche to run around doing his master's bidding without all those other GM Eng duties getting in the way. On the upside, if they replace him with care, it may just restore a bit of morale in engineering. I understand a former incumbent with trans Tasman connections has already been sounded out, but is not particularly interested at this time.

firegrass
14th May 2010, 05:55
"The Tractor doesn't know you're sick!" :ok:

Baz from the Bush
15th May 2010, 07:33
Oh you ARE on the right track there Turbtool! Quite a scandal at the time!:hmm:;)

High 6
15th May 2010, 08:21
Does the new PX/Govt aquisition have the range to do Port Moresby - Colombo direct? May be required soon... with of course the obligatory farewell bag of buai loaded in the hold.

flightleader
16th May 2010, 05:14
Not a problem when chartering a B744. You might see one in POM in 3 days time with a Blue and Red kite on the tail.

RetiredTooEarly
24th May 2010, 05:43
I did 23 years with PX from DC3 captain to Fleet Captain Check and Training Standards and can assure everybody that the poor management, morale, lousy pay, expatriate vs national, lack of vision, did I say poor management? remains the same as it was when we started off in 1973.

Once the Nationals got into control of the airline it deteriorated in every area - granted we had it pretty good until the late '90's but to see an airline with such tremendous potential destroyed by incompetant management was and still is a dreadful shame.

I finished up number 3 on the seniority list before I left in '97 so had the best of the pickings most of my working life with the airline but get pretty depressed to see all the good work we did up there slowly being whiteanted by politicians (always a problem), corruption, inexperience, low morale and tragic management.

Damn shame!

John Citizen
24th May 2010, 07:37
but to see an airline with such tremendous potential destroyed by incompetant management was and still is a dreadful shame.

there slowly being whiteanted by politicians (always a problem), corruption, inexperience, low morale and tragic management.

Very similar to the way the whole country has gone since independence. Yes a real shame. :{

frigatebird
24th May 2010, 09:19
Yes, RetiredTooEarly, and it dosn't stop at the border, - the same thing happened next door, and is ongoing - Damned Shame !, - considering the potential - but if that is the way they want it, they are entitled to the consequences of their actions. ( Just make our efforts seem futile to aim for some better outcome.. )

LVDT
25th May 2010, 15:10
Fact is the Canadian GM Engineering refused to extend his employment past his present expiry date, due to personality conflicts on the fourth floor, Srilankan QA and CEO.
The Canadian Maintenance Manager #2 IC of engineering was terminated last week and it looks like most of the European Engineers keeping the F100 fleet defect free will leave before July. (not good if you fly a Fokker at PX)

Engineering has others reportedly planning to leave as this worsens and the department looks like it will close heavy maintenance due to a lack of leadership.
This leaves me wondering how they expect to bring in more aircraft (DHC-8-400) and keep the fleet safe with so much change. Stability should be the order of the day.

The Administration Manager and Properties Managers got terminated in a house cleaning, so it looks contagious.

Not much to be proud about there at the moment.

The CEO and board are still buying more aircraft however so that seems to be good business.

APNG must be watching with interest.

NDVP
26th May 2010, 00:06
LVDT

"The CEO and board are still buying more aircraft however so that seems to be good business."

Never mind the heavy maintenance, forget the morale, bugger the service delivery and ignore the safety implications. But always remember Rule 1 of the Colombo business college - "The necessity for purchase of any item is directly proportional to the number of brown envelopes generated by the transaction."

Can anyone remember why, in the early 2000's, the Q400 was rejected as unsuitable by PX after the visit of the demonstrator aircraft?

Waghi Warrior
27th May 2010, 05:19
What about expats being entitled to long service leave ? My sources tell me that an outgoing engineer has raised the question and people in ANG house are running for cover.

Could be a precedence set here chaps !!!!!

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

NDVP
27th May 2010, 05:31
Waghi,

LSL for expats? Now there's a novel concept! I did 13 years and it didn't exist. I can't see it happening unless it's written into his contract.

AxelPNG
27th May 2010, 05:55
No LSL for expats I'm afraid. I know someone who went so far as to get legal advice on the matter. Unless it's in your contract you've got buckley's....

Waghi Warrior
27th May 2010, 05:57
It appears that contracts at PX aren't worth the paper they are written on, as the company keeps changing the goal posts to suite themselves. I believe the person concerned does have something in writing from many moons before.
My sources also advise me that it is the law in PNG for any employee (expat or national) who is taxed in PNG to be entitled to LSL, it starts accumulating after 3 years of service I believe.

I also though the idea was a novel concept when I first heard of it, but it appears there may be some substance to it. I do know that APNG pay it.

EBCAU
28th May 2010, 01:28
Whagi warrior wrote:
"It appears that contracts at PX aren't worth the paper they are written on, as the company keeps changing the goal posts to suite themselves. I believe the person concerned does have something in writing from many moons before.
My sources also advise me that it is the law in PNG for any employee (expat or national) who is taxed in PNG to be entitled to LSL, it starts accumulating after 3 years of service I believe. "

I go along with that. There have been instances where this has been challenged successfully in the past. Unfortunately those companies that don't live up to their legal responsibilties know that the likelihood of being held to account through the legal system is quite remote. Most expats do not stay long enough to have an amount owing to them that would withstand the legal cost of recovering it.
You don't have to look far to find unscrupulous management in PNG aviation companies!

Waghi Warrior
30th May 2010, 22:43
Rumour has it that they are about to ramp up recruiting again. I'm sure they won't get many applicants until they drop their requirements down to 2500 hrs again. Who with 4000 hrs would even bother applying for a slot as an FO on a Dash 8 when they can get a job in Oz flying a jet. Most of the last lot of pilots offered jobs actually said yes, but no thanks after seeing first hand how badly managed the company is. Funny thing is that the company even have a couple of Dash 8 Captains with under 4000 hrs TT. PX is really a training ground for pilots to move onto other larger/better airlines, Virgin Blue especially.

Trex wantok
5th Jun 2010, 22:04
Is Airnogat's requirements still 4000tt, 1500 command on a twin with ATPL?. If that is the case you are right W.W they have to lower their reqmts for them to get the numbers they want, if the rumors are correct that they are getting 2 Q400 and 3Q300s by the end of the year.

Waghi Warrior
7th Jun 2010, 06:50
Yer Wantok their requirements are 4000 TT. Sad thing is there are quite a large number of very experienced PNG based pilots with around 3000 hours + who's applications just get placed into the round filing cabinet on the 4th floor.

Also the latest rumour going around the place is that the company is looking at replacing all the existing Dash 8's with brand new ATR's. I believe that Bombardier aren't going to continue to support the 100/200/300's with spares.

NCD
7th Jun 2010, 10:13
Trex

RUMOUR has it that the extra Q300 acquisitions may be on hold.

Not much point if you do not get the contracts.

Che cows with guns
8th Jun 2010, 05:04
I bet they are only looking/talking ATR's because the other side (A/PNG) are getting them sometime soon? Time will tell whether they are suited or not for all the PNG ports. I doubt whether anything will ever be as good as the Dash 8 currently is for both operators.
CHe

saabsforever
8th Jun 2010, 09:06
70 people in the tropics with no APU:(Bad enough in Auckland never mind PNG. I believe there are hot and high versions but the average ATR 72 is quite an ordinary performer.

Winged Bird
8th Jun 2010, 23:23
APNG staff are watching with interest with their management not that much better, I have heard a few have jump ship to ANG already and quite a few are looking at crossing over. I have heard that the new management is taking a good business and flushing it down the toilet.

Torres
9th Jun 2010, 01:54
I can't comment on later models of the ATR42 series, but when the decision was made in Talair to buy two DHC8-100 aircraft in the early 1980s, the ATR42 was rejected due to lack of an APU and it's short field performance was unsuitable for Talair's needs in inter Provincial services.

At the time three ATR42s were operated by Air Queensland and their operational staff agreed with our assessment of the two aircraft types.

The ATR may be OK for specific contractual services or main center services, but at the time the ATR42 could not compare to the DHC8-100 at places like Chimbu, Mendi, Tari etc.

Trex wantok
9th Jun 2010, 08:03
Well Gents I myself dont know much about ATRs all I have heard around 7 miles is that the ATR came with a promise of a TAS of 275kts and better endurance but when the a/c arrived for a trial run its no faster than the 100 running that route now .I guess time will tell if the ATR is a good choice for PNG but for now the Dash works. APNG, A.N and those boys based up at Tabubil will testify to that.

NCD
10th Jun 2010, 10:55
Arn't the APNG ATR 72's going to be configured for something like 40 seats. Would think that the 3.0 odd tonne reduced payload would make a bit of a difference over the DH8-100 currently used.

LVDT
10th Jun 2010, 17:01
I understand the newest ATR 42-600 to be a capable aircraft surpassing the performance of the 100 or 300 DHC's. ATR200 and 300 are pathetic but the 500 has many good features..
ANG has looked at this but my information is they discount the aircraft due to landing gear issues and economics. The gear is not as wide as the DHC- and 8 or 10 aircraft carry a heafty replacement cost.

The 300 acqusitions are on hold while the Q400 is inducted, it is possible more 400's will be ordered and could phase out the 300 altogether. Faster better range and a lower seat kilometer cost is a convincing arguement.

The classic DHC's are no longer being manufactured but the support has not changed and Bombardier has recently implemented a 120k cycle life, extending from the current 80k. Bombardier is making a ton of money on parts and support so I don't see this stopping any time soon.

ANG however doesn't have any Dash 8 aircraft older than 35k cycles so they have anouther 40 years useful life there if anyone thinks that far ahead.
ANG recently invested significant funds into their Dash 8 with WAAS enabled FMS, so I think they are likely to keep these aircraft for a period of time. The replacement glass cockpit has been evaluated as costly but justified if the aircraft are to remain for decades into the future.

ATR however have in the past purchased entire fleets in order to place their equipment (Bangkok Air) so who knows maybe the ATR 42-600 could become the new standard in this category. At least until Bombardier start manufacturing a new and improved 50 passenger.

frigatebird
10th Jun 2010, 23:20
Would have thought that the narrower track of the ATR would have been a positive on narrow sealed, (and unsealed with the low pressure tyre option) runways. They can handle a good crosswind. The trailing link certainly makes for a smoother arrival than the long stiff oleos of the Dash.

High 6
12th Jun 2010, 13:29
It looks like the days of a domestic jet service are coming to a sad end, dictated by the runway limitations and lack of upkeep/upgrade on the current strips. It is sad that the government allows this to happen, nothing against turboprops, having flown F27, Dash 7 and F28 domestically for PX, but the "smok balus" is definitely a better option.

The traveling population of PNG is constantly increasing yet PX is dictated to buy smaller, slower aircraft due to the runways, to me this is a great disservice to the people. Any hope of getting the domestic airports upgraded for B737 or A320 type operations is unfortunately fast becoming a pipe dream. :(

balus
13th Jun 2010, 08:39
ahhh the Dash 7, I recall a flight from Goroka to POM when a couple of 28's were down.

the wizard of auz
17th Jun 2010, 23:42
Whats all this about the ATR not having an APU? The 72-500 that was in PNG had the right prop brake on and he engine was the APU. Flew very nicely but required a dispensation from the country of registration to allow it to land at Kunai due to the strip width. Other than that it fit the bill for the proposed job nicely. even had a 90min ETOPs approval.
I don't believe that APNG are actually looking at buying them though. The visiting one was here on proving flights for a particular contract and was proposed to be operated under the APNG AOC whilst its own FAOC application was being processed.
Quite possible I'm wrong though....... it happened once before. :}

Waghi Warrior
18th Jun 2010, 02:47
Here some good Air Niugini News out of today's newspaper. :ok:

Flying ace | The National (http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/10066)

saabsforever
18th Jun 2010, 03:11
Wizard,
The big tail light and rear fuse was to put the apu in, but they never did. It does not have one. Yes like the Saab the idea was RH engine and prop brake, and just like the Saab seldom used in practice for various reasons. So in the tropics please board first and wait in row one for 10-20 mins while the engines are started for air conditioning and you will see what i am on about. But then you still have to put up with cramped seats with your back staight up and down. I commute as a passenger in them weekly and given the chance will wait an hour to get a Dash 8. Then pick up a F27 freighter and think what a roomy beast they must have been with 50 on board. We do not seem to have come far in the last 50 years, apart from burning a little less gas.

frigatebird
18th Jun 2010, 11:06
What the hell....? 20 years ago in Fiji - and that is the same Latitude as Innisfail - well and truly in the Tropics, - we used to start the right engine with the prop braked and cool the cabin for 5 minutes before calling for boarding. The cabin and the girls and the tech crew were cool to receive the passengers, and the passengers were cool too when they sat down, whether in Fiji, Vanuatu, Samoa, or Tonga. What is so special about New Guinea..? On the ground, and on descent into Nausori or Nadi we would get fogging from the airconditioning due to the moisture in the humid air as the airconditioning system from the engine system proved just how efficient it was working in the local environment.
( Just had to warn the Nervous Nellies that it wasn't smoke, tasol)

At altitude, they used to ask what the knocking on the fuse ice shields was as the props shed ice when going through a buildup with big droplets.
But the cabin was warm then..

p.s. And if you wanted to save fuel, to make up for the 5 minutes, it was alright to release the prop brake, push back or reverse taxi on one, and start the other on the way to the holding point for the active..

That's how it was designed.... back then.

30/30 Green Light
18th Jun 2010, 21:23
Frigatebird,I have to agree.Not sure about the ATR42,but I have just done a few legs on the 72 in Vietnam.From Phu Quoc (around 9degrees N,about the same as POM is S)with OAT at 33C the right hand engine was used with the brake on and I have to say that on boarding it was a very comfortable environment. Saabs,I guess it depends on how far you're commuting but for a 59 minute flight and at 183cm/100kg,I had no problems at all.Unlike the 4.5 hour Jetstar flight to DRW.That's another story altogether!:eek:

Buai Bob
22nd Jun 2010, 04:04
8 brand new ATR42's. First 3 before christmas. Sim in Bangkok or KL. Happy Days:):):)

frigatebird
22nd Jun 2010, 21:29
BB, thats a great post in the best traditions of pprune.. I'll wait for others to comment before I jump in :ok:

(Mind you.. nooo.. I won't say it yet..)

Waghi Warrior
22nd Jun 2010, 22:33
I heard exactly the same thing yesterday BB from a reliable source. First 3 before christmas. Sounds like the old Dash 8 days might be drawing to an end.

The only one they might keep is ANK as that isn't leased.

cnic
23rd Jun 2010, 07:23
I think someone is having you on but I hope I am wrong. Lets see if they can get the first one here yet.

Che cows with guns
23rd Jun 2010, 10:32
Buai Bob is on speed Man.

NDVP
24th Jun 2010, 00:36
BB and WW are apparently close to the mark. From an impeccable source this morning, 3 by year end, probably looking at 8 total (but 12 mentioned) intended to replace the DHC-8 1/2/300s.

Despite the high level of Bombardier support the DHC-8 is still seen as a mixed fleet (2 x 100 3 x 200 3 x 300) which requires a disproportionately high investment in spares to fleet size.

High 6
16th Jul 2010, 04:20
Any updates or toksaves from those close to source i.e TANGFU Towers?

tourismman
16th Jul 2010, 05:05
First Q400 is ready to leave Canada.The 2nd 767-300 is due 20 july for PX.
New Reg as well P2-PXU,PXV.block now being used.And a new livery as well.

High 6
18th Jul 2010, 15:56
Thanks for the toksave. Anybody have a picture of the new livery and will this mean a whole new corporate makeover from balus down to stationery? $$$$

ditzyboy
21st Jul 2010, 00:05
Anyone know where they plan on sending 2 x 767s and a 757? The new 767 is not reflected in the current schedule.

As per the website, the config is 46/148. That is very generous in terms of space. Is the J class market to PNG that substantial?

AxelPNG
21st Jul 2010, 00:16
I would think the added demand for J class is coming from the LNG and other projects.

Ricky Bobby
21st Jul 2010, 19:00
Q400 arrived wednesday afternoon, no doubt will be relegated to page 2 of the local newspapers thanks to the PM's latest faux pas.

Pics on the PX website regarding this aircraft and the other 763.

Im a traditionalist and would have preferred the continuation of the AN callsigns. Me thinks the move to PX is a symbolic change for the company and could see the ATR's come in.

High 6
26th Jul 2010, 08:41
Heard Alpha November Golf 6397 (Ex Amiri Flt B767) winging it's way across the Arabian Sea direct from UAE to PNG.. non stop last night. Unfortunately due to the insane traffic in the Oman/Bombay FIR area at that time of day (2200 Local), they were held down to FL 270 for the initial cruise. Looks like the rumuors are true!

Che cows with guns
26th Jul 2010, 09:50
I think ANG is the PM's private Jet.
I guess he gets around.
What rumours???

Waghi Warrior
26th Jul 2010, 10:48
Boeing landed just after last light at POM in about 10000 octas of smoke, thanks to the locals trying to burn every thing that will burn ! 14 hour ferry I believe. I think the rego is P2-PXV, it is also delinately painted in the new colours as I saw it fly over town just before dark. On another note the Q400 is on line and doing well. I also understand the ATR 42s are looking very positive.
:ok::ok:

tourismman
3rd Aug 2010, 11:32
P2-PXV flew POM-BNE today for first time.

rfin
6th Aug 2010, 22:33
Link below to Image of the new 767 in new c/s operating its first flight from POM to BNE 03 August:

AIR NUIGINI BOEING 767 300 BNE 03AUG2010 RF IMG_5054.jpg photo - Rob Finlayson photos at pbase.com (http://www.pbase.com/aviationimagesrf/image/127126846)

High 6
26th Aug 2010, 09:34
I can only presume from the silence on this subject that the B767 has settled in well to PX operations. The colour scheme looks nice... will they be changing the rest of the company to this scheme or is this just for this one balus?

I still reckon the hostie uniforms with the Bird of Paradise emblazoned down the full length, available in 4 different colours was the best one that PX has had.

the wizard of auz
26th Aug 2010, 22:08
The new Q400 wears the same paint. PMs jet is close. fleet is meant to be changed to wear the new scheme during major maintenance.....but non of the old paint ever got freshened up ever, so it could be a while me thinks.

Waghi Warrior
30th Aug 2010, 00:17
Gone a bit quite on the ATR 42 rumour,anyone heard anything ?

CI300
30th Aug 2010, 10:36
I understand its off again..

Cravenmorehead
10th Sep 2010, 05:01
ATR=Aerospatial Transport Regional, yes it is believe it or not a 42 seat aircraft- Twin Turbo prop- made by the French.:ok:

Waghi Warrior
6th Oct 2010, 19:20
Anyone heard anything about Viking Twin Otters now ??? WTF !
Sounds like a knee jerk reaction in relation to the cadet pilots not being farmed out to GA anymore.
I can see PX's good safety record going to pek pek pritty quick as I'm sure the companies experienced drivers won't be putting their hands up to go back into the bush doing cash fares.

High 6
12th Oct 2010, 12:48
Maybe PX is positioning into the GA market in case SQ or EK operate through SIN-POM as was suggested on this forum some time back. If that ever occurred I fear the PX international ops would be decimated.

Interesting development though if the rumor is true. I agree WTF!!

Waghi Warrior
18th Oct 2010, 23:00
The new schedule to come out at the end of the month looks pritty creative. Not a lot of fat in it to alow for unexpected problems. Let the christmas fun begin !
On a more positive issue for us pilots,PX have just hired a few new pilots and the ripple effects are starting to take effect with other operators,so in a nutshell there are a few jobs around up here.

I forgot to mention,the 2nd Q400 arrived yesterday.

geeup
19th Oct 2010, 04:38
Whats happening with the F100s coming or going?

AxelPNG
19th Oct 2010, 04:49
Any significant changes on the new PX schedule?

tourismman
19th Oct 2010, 10:50
POM-BNE goes to 13 a week with 5 little Fokkers on the run per week .3 of those overnight BNE with a early 8am departure back to POM.

Waghi Warrior
3rd Dec 2010, 22:51
Rumour has it that a large number of cadet pilots aren't to happy,has anyone
else heard anything similar ? Not a happy camp from all accounts.

Duck Pilot
6th Dec 2010, 10:19
Just spoke to a mate who works up there for ANG and he recons that not may pilots will be sending any senior management types christmas cards this year. It's a pritty bad state of affairs at the moment for most with large pay cuts on the way for a large amount of the companies pilots. Things aren't rosie in paradise anymore it would appear.

Good luck fellas as I think you might have a unwinable task on your hands.

I wonder if ANG's CEO is good mates with the Jetstar CEO. Certainly a flavour of "let's give the pilots a hard time" going around.

High 6
6th Dec 2010, 16:05
I was under the impression that PX had made a decent profit this last Financial Year, thus the new a/c aquisitions, hiring more drivers, rumors of more international runs etc..

What happened? Or was the information reaching us in the far flung regions of the middle kingdom incorrect?

Duck Pilot
6th Dec 2010, 22:30
Without being specific,I'm led to believe the pilot's salaries are being reduced to help pay for a luxury item that the airline was forced into aquiring earlier this year.

geeup
6th Dec 2010, 22:50
Whats with PX hiring everyone who applies but not starting them on courses?
Is this just a hold file or are they intending to employe all?

Waghi Warrior
7th Dec 2010, 00:16
From what I've been told,those who got offers have been put on a hold file.

Getting anything out of the castle on the hill at the moment is like trying to get blood out of a stone. The boys and girls in the flight decks are starting to throw stones back.

There is a F100 ground school running now,not to sure who's on it apart from a couple of cadets. I have also heard that a Dash 8 ground school will also be starting on the 29th of DEC.

Without being specific,I'm led to believe the pilot's salaries are being reduced to help pay for a luxury item that the airline was forced into aquiring earlier this year.

Luxury item ? I think that's an understatement Duck !

Could only happen in PNG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LVDT
8th Dec 2010, 12:52
PX have run out of spin and resorted to threats and some rater dispicable practises to cloud over problems and motivate (intimidate) employees.
It is a sorry sight watching this airlines executive branch continually maneuver for the purposes of politics and self absorbed promotion.

I wonder where the board is with current affairs or if they are aware.

Announced large profits are closely accompanied by even larger government handouts; commerce is not the foundation at PX it is something else.

geeup
8th Dec 2010, 21:53
Doesn't PX have a pilots union? :sad:
If so where do they stand? :oh:

F100 course? I thought they were on the way out and being replaced by the Q400? :O

High 6
13th Dec 2010, 19:57
With the current political developments not being too favourable for the Chief and Co, if there is a change in leadership, will the "luxury" item be moved on to another nesting ground? I'm sure the proceeds could be put to better use in other parts of PX.

vee tail
15th Dec 2010, 07:06
Or be used for just plain old PARTS for the PX A/C:ok:

SHAGGS
15th Feb 2011, 00:47
Latest word is that a heap of LAMEs have/are leaving to go and help set up Travel Air. Word from an insider at PX says that morale is at an all time low,not surprising if anything that's been mentioned in the past here is half true.

Engineers leaving in the droves can't be good for any airline.

There is also a rumour going around that PX are about to cancel all their Dash 8 freighter services,is there any truth in this rumour ?

John Citizen
15th Feb 2011, 01:00
morale is at an all time low

Unfortunately the same story everywhere in the world I think :{

Any airline where this is not the situation please ? :confused:

macdonaldjames93
15th Feb 2011, 02:43
PX has no shortage of pilots who wants to get . PX is pinching a few from apng one has already done his F-100 ground course and 3 more on the 21st of Mar course, but my fren JC is right morale is a problem everywhere else, theirs guys walking out form CG to PX and PX to Travelair,DJ to EK everyone is on the move to find greener fields and their aint nothing wrong with that.

John Citizen
15th Feb 2011, 03:10
Can someone please tell me where these greener fields are ? :confused:

Waghi Warrior
15th Feb 2011, 03:50
JC not in the aviation industry that for sure !

Nothing will ever change at ANG until the government get out of it. How many government ran airlines in the world are in good shape ?

Trex wantok
17th Feb 2011, 04:41
If you're happy where you are then THAT IT thats your greener pasture, But if you're not, then do something about it."Greener Pastures" is not going to be the same for everyone,flying for EK for some DJ for some PX,QF,NZ etc..... you just have to find whats suits you ........ em tasol :ok:

Waghi Warrior
23rd Feb 2011, 21:28
ATRs are back on the drawing board, and from what I hear they are pritty serious this time, certainly a good time to get ATRs in this part of the world with Virgin anouncing that they are getting 18 ATR 72s yesterday, I also bet we see Virgin operating them in between CNS and POM as well in time to come..

One Dash 8 200 to be withdrawn by mid year, and all the Dash 8 freighters to be withdrawn as of the middle of April due to Bombardiar withdrawing the cargo config STC due to safety issues (No fault of PX). They will be able to do combies only.

Another Q400 on it's way as well.

oceancrosser
2nd Mar 2011, 12:09
Can anyone confirm that PX is getting a third 767 from Iceland and that the 757 will be returned at the same time?

vee tail
6th Mar 2011, 01:42
Affirm:ok: And 3rd Q400 in the next week or 2

splat72
8th Mar 2011, 08:04
PX lost a couple of Dash skippers to Travel air this week I believe,
Brave move boys they don't even have an Aircraft

geeup
10th Mar 2011, 04:01
Is ANG getting ATR 42s or 72s?
Which ever way they go I think there is a big waiting list for the -600s

Duck Pilot
10th Mar 2011, 07:32
No ATRs now, Fokker F50s instead.

The first 2 captains left for sim training today on a pink Dash 8 !!!!! Well the from part of the aeroplane was pink anyway !

More to follow I believe.

Going Nowhere
10th Mar 2011, 07:56
Any possible link to Alliance? Did they help PX bring in the F100's?

Che cows with guns
10th Mar 2011, 10:24
Yes Alliance did train a few of there-ANG- pilots initially. It was a slow drawn out process, I can tell you.
CHEers

vee tail
15th Mar 2011, 06:40
Fokker 50's.... bullsh!t.:ugh:.

The guys that have left are going to Travel Air and they have the 50's. Quite a few more leave as well I am told:cool:

This is a rumour mill:ok:

However 10 Chinese twotters are the go but for ANG

geeup
16th Mar 2011, 01:37
Who is paying for Hoskins to be done up?

High 6
6th Apr 2011, 18:08
What's the latest update on Travel Air? I read somewhere that it was going to be a Madang based Fokker 50 operation.... now that sounds like a might fine retirement job!!

Hoskins being done up.... so will they be removing the Splash/Cricky Memorial Fence? :E

jarden
29th Apr 2011, 17:37
I had a look at PX online timetable and found a few suprises:

No more flights to KUL anymore but got extra flight to SIN.
The 767s have a full schedule all operating flights 7 days a week
PX are operating the 767 into CNS on WED as PX 090 such a big plane for a small port.
Despite all the competition from QF and Apng the CNS-POM route is doing well for PX,
if they can upguage from the F100 to the 767.
Their best route must be BNE now at 12 per week so close to twice daily but SYD still only 2 per week.
Got 3 Q400s in fleet now.
10 Dash 8s in total others are: (1-100, 3-200s and 3-300s)

Kiwiconehead
30th Apr 2011, 04:30
PX are operating the 767 into CNS on WED as PX 090 such a big plane for a small port.

Underfloor freight capacity

tourismman
30th Apr 2011, 08:21
Jarden, 14 flights a week to BNE not 12.
5X F100'S and 9 X 763.

jarden
2nd May 2011, 03:19
That's great for BNE. Would PX look at starting flights to MEL or AKL they use to fly to the later in the 80's. Would they make a comeback to Jakarta?

Waghi Warrior
2nd May 2011, 03:55
I agree jarden. Sending the flights through BNE would be the ideal solution and obviously a Boeing. Also given the fact that all PX's F100 and "Clasic" Dash 8 pilots go to Melbourne for sim cyclics every 6 months, might be another plus to go to MEL.

There is quite a substantial amount of pax that originate from MEL and AKL, who go to POM, largely thanks to the mining industry in PNG.

Another rumor going around PX at the moment is that they are looking closely at the B737-700, for a medium hauler and I did hear that MEL and AKL were possible destinations.

AxelPNG
2nd May 2011, 04:12
Why not Darwin?

Or Jayapura/Sentani (again) in an F100?

jarden
3rd May 2011, 10:40
They could even start a Port Moresby to Port Vila F100 service is anyone else on that route?

jarden
5th May 2011, 15:42
P2-ANA JUST ON TOUCH DOWN AS FLIGHT PX090
http://i52.tinypic.com/2u9ri1d.jpg
At the terminal in gate 1 same everyday for PX
http://i56.tinypic.com/28a7md.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/ra3kmb.jpg
PX are using the 767 every wed to cater for increased demand for freight. Usual F100 the rest of the week and the odd Dash 8
http://i54.tinypic.com/69kjcy.jpg
Getting ready for take off back to POM
http://i56.tinypic.com/4kwh0z.jpg

jarden
9th May 2011, 11:44
Does anyone know why PX do not publish their Cairns to Moro and Cairns to Goroka dash flights in the international timetable. As they do operate according to Cairns Airport website.

Thunderpants
9th May 2011, 15:32
Hey Guys,

Please excuse my ignorance as lately I have been living and working out of N America, and therefore have been out of the loop regarding SE Asia for the past 18 months or so. I got the call to attend an Interview and SIM eval for AN in Melbourne in a couple of weeks, somewhat of a suprise and 'out of the blue' I might add!

After doing a little resurch on this thead, and placeing a couple of other posts requesting infomation which drew 200 views yet no responses, I have to say that I am somewhat of a loss.

I flew in PNG a while back, and while it has to be said that the country is not without it's issues to say the least, the overall experience, for me anyway, was a positive one. Yet what I'm picking up here dosn't seem to be reflecting that at all.

Are the posters here just a bunch of Ex-Pat whiners? (I have travelled extensively thoughout the world, and unfortunately there seems to be no shortage of those); or are these really genuine concerns regarding poor managment and safety? (And again, unfortunately there are a number of operations I've come across in the past, that would simply not survive even the passing scruitny of the authorities anywhere near civilisation).

Is there anyone here whom would be able to provide 'first hand' infomation on the operation there. I am looking for infomation on lifestyle, accommodation, rotation, (ie. is it realisticly commutable), and of course, pay.

The good, the bad, the ugly, the, 'you gotta be outta your shaggin' mind' comments are all welcome; as any real infomation would be very much appreciated.

Please feel free to PM me if you would prefur,

Cheers,
TP

AxelPNG
9th May 2011, 22:32
With regards to the unlisted flights ex-Cairns, I would imagine they are mining charters and not open for bookings from the general public.

macdonaldjames93
15th May 2011, 23:35
Is that an APNG dash sneaking in to the far left of the photo of P2-ANA in Cairns I thought those guys cancel most of their weekly flights except for the Mondays and Fridays.

Cravenmorehead
16th May 2011, 10:51
It's an ATR-72 operated by A/PNG for Newcrest mining previously Lihir Gold. It is on the Malaysian register soon to be P2. Operates 6 days a week to Lihir Island
The photos remind me of scenes during the last big boom in PNG around 1994-5 when Air No Got operated the A300 and A310 in and out of Cairns on a Tuesday.
Good to see
CHEers

jarden
25th May 2011, 12:01
That's correct. The rego is 9M-TAO and has the name Betajaya air. Its all white except for the malaysian flag on it.

NCD
25th May 2011, 12:33
macdonaldjames93

Not sure of the schedule, but I have to agree with you that it sure does look like a APNG Dash to me

Stiaman
8th Jun 2011, 06:26
Sorry!, it's 9M-TAQ, and it is leased from Berjaya Airlines, Subang.

jarden
8th Jun 2011, 12:34
9M-TAQ is now in Airlines of PNG titles saw it yesterday in CNS. The Dash 8s are shorter than the ATR.

beachbunny
9th Jun 2011, 01:02
Hi, can anyone out there tell me whether PNG will endorse any ICAO licence, or do you need an OZ ticket?

BB :)

jarden
14th Jun 2011, 11:39
http://i51.tinypic.com/108freb.jpg

Waghi Warrior
15th Jun 2011, 20:24
Beachbunny I dunno what you mean by getting the CASA to endorse your licence. The most logical thing to do would be to get a PNG licence if you are going to fly there,it's relatively simple if you follow CASA's guidelines.

They also have a website now Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Papua New Guinea (http://www.casapng.gov.pg) check that out and if in doubt you could even email or ring them.

There are also rumours going around that CASA have started doing random ramp checks. Good to see as this has been well overdue,

macdonaldjames93
4th Jun 2012, 03:55
Anybody know how many B737NG that Airniugini is getting heard rumors that they have already secured the crew for the first a/c, 7-9 ex Airpac boys already got the nod

NDVP
4th Jun 2012, 05:07
From what I hear PX are looking at two aircraft, one 700 and one 800. Arrival of the first is imminent but the second not yet known.

I also hear that once the first is operating they will be dropping the 767 POM/SYD/POM, and once the second 737 is on site they will be dropping a 767 altogether. No firm information though.

macdonaldjames93
6th Jun 2012, 04:01
Hi NDVP
Thanks for the update appreciate it

tourismman
6th Jun 2012, 06:56
First aircraft a 737-700 is in Sofia getting a c check and repaint.It arrived there 2 weeks or so ago.

PPRuNeUser0161
6th Jun 2012, 10:33
Anyone been offered a start on the Dash lately. How long does it normally take after the sim to hear from them? Does anyone ever get a start on the Q400?

SN

Unusual-Attitude
9th Jun 2012, 21:52
Varies but a month to six weeks isn't abnormal. Chase them up with emails.

Yes, occasionally some go straight onto the 400, but mainly those who have previous Dash and in country experience.

pngfop
28th Jun 2012, 13:14
For anyone considering a position at Air Dysfunction (Air Niugini), consider this: get a lobotomy. The new contract that has been chucked at the pilot group has only 5 weeks annual leave. It probably won't go through, but that is the regard the management has for the pilot group.

On the + side, you can expect to have several weeks paid leave (1/2 pay) while your visas get sorted out and then another after sim as there aren't enough training captains.

As for starting on a particular type - that all depends on your background. If you have good turbo-prop multi-crew time or a little jet time you may go straight onto Fokker (FO). My advice - if you have that sort of time, apply elsewhere. Those with a Q400 rating may get a start on the Q400. That would make sense, but getting ANG to do anything sensible is a hard task. Most likely, unless you have above, you'll start on the Dash classic.

NDVP
29th Jun 2012, 04:04
Latest information to hand is that the first aircraft is a 737-7L9, first flown 21/10/98, MSN 28007, currently registered to TonleSap Airlines of Phnom Penh as XU-TSB. Lease details are not known and neither is arrival date into POM, but first schedule is believed to be 15th July.

Waghi Warrior
29th Jun 2012, 08:51
Paid while waiting for a work permit and a couple of weeks to process? Incorrect, no pay during this period and if you are lucky one could expect a work permit to be issued in about 3 months minimum

The pilots contract negotiations have been going on fo years. The airline will continue to be a source of good quality pilots for the higher paying airlines Air Niugini's check and training standards are very high.

tourismman
30th Jun 2012, 23:50
The 737 is due to fly to Subang today to have a nice big decal put on it.:ok:

Unusual-Attitude
1st Jul 2012, 23:02
Waghi, they changed that rule, (even wrote it into the letter of offer!) As it seems they were loosing lots of people who couldn't afford to be without income for, as you say up to 3 months before getting an emloyment visa. It is half nomal pay until visa issued, then full pay.

PPRuNeUser0161
6th Jul 2012, 22:56
UA
WOW that's an excellent deal, half pay!

SN

Mach E Avelli
7th Jul 2012, 01:07
SN do I detect a note of sarcasm there? Indeed if they do put you on half pay while awaiting a work permit, it is not such a bad deal. If you are in PNG you get excellent free accommodation and meals, and if you are at home then like in the song, it's money for nothing and chicks for free.
As far as I know they don't bond expat pilots, and even if they did it would be difficult for them to enforce. I have never worked for PX, and am now too old, but from the outside looking in, it's one of the better jobs in this region.

PPRuNeUser0161
7th Jul 2012, 09:51
Mach E Avelli
Yeah look sorry to offend you but I gave up working for free or "half pay" 20 years ago and free chicks dont put food on the table either! It's a good deal for a young lad looking to get in with an airline. Certainly Air Niugini would be a great place to work and their a really nice bunch but I have to live in the real world. The 40% tax rate doesn't help either.

Cheers
SN

Edit: You are definitely bonded and as far as I'm concerned if you agree to be bonded end then try to get out of it your not being true to yourself and no one should employ you.

NCD
7th Jul 2012, 10:17
My understanding is that the half pay thing is only a guarantee so the new employee's can receive some sort of salary for the period that the PNG Govt Work Permit is not issued.

Plenty of PX guys have been paid full salary from day one. That being a result of being given timely notice of a start date, and themselves being proactive in getting all the paperwork, history, medical information forward in a timely fashion.

Mach, PX does have a bonding system, with the value being based on the type. The figures that are mentioned seem quite fair really, as does the timeline the bond reduces over.

PPRuNeUser0161
7th Jul 2012, 22:43
NCD
Correct, the system falls down sometimes is when recruitment don't have enough pilots on hold for long enough to get the work permit. I believe if you are offered a job you may have some power to negotiate to stay in your current employment until the permits are arranged and therefore not have the problem. Of course if your unemployed at the time half pay probably sounds attractive.

SN

Mach E Avelli
8th Jul 2012, 03:40
From a management perspective, once an airline has invested training time in a pilot, they really need to hang on to said pilot if at all possible.
Whether or not a pilot is bonded, or whether or not the bond is enforceable, it is less about the direct cost of the training (i.e. groundschool, simulator, base training) and more about the impact on the schedule if the training time has to be repeated because one pilot leaves and another has to be recruited.
Knowing this, I once used it as leverage. I had accepted a job on a fairly ordinary salary. Pay during training was even worse, but at least the simulator was in the USA, so it cost them lots of time and some money. When I got in-country, they put my line training on slow, because effectively while I was on training pay they had a very cheap pilot. I let it run for a couple of weeks, when it became obvious what their game was. A simple ultimatum to roster me for enough hours and a check to line within the next 14 days or I would walk, and suddenly all was sorted.

PPRuNeUser0161
10th Jul 2012, 01:58
Mach E Avelli
It's not nice to have to do that but whilst the company should expect a descent return from their expensive training the pilot is entitled to expect to be remunerated for his hard work and loyalty. You did the right thing and they would have forgotten about it not long after you left the office.

If your prepared to work for half pay then in your mind that's all your worth and really it just makes life hard for those who can't afford to do that to win descent jobs. Ie, those with family, home loans etc.

SN

jarden
10th Jul 2012, 08:12
PX are showing POM to Cebu 737 services from their online timetable 2 per week tues and thur they are PX012 17:50 POM CEB 20:40
return is PX013 22:10 CEB POM 0500 will connect with some OZ flights from CNS, BNE and SYD.
http://www.airniugini.com.pg/wp-cont...ernational.pdf (http://www.airniugini.com.pg/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/July-2012-International.pdf)

Unusual-Attitude
11th Jul 2012, 02:56
SN, the half pay thing is just a retainer until you get your work visa. Many guys continue working their jobs whilst waiting for the work permit to come...or sit and chillout at home, either way, its money for nothing.

Don't see how thats such a terrible deal?

NewZealand2
12th Jul 2012, 02:55
P2-PXD 737-700 arrived yesterday, 11Jul, in POM.

Dash Balus
14th Jul 2012, 00:26
Air Niugini welcomes its first Boeing 737 - YouTube

troppo
14th Jul 2012, 20:34
Nice livery. How come it is P2-PXD, have they run out of ANx regos?

macdonaldjames93
15th Jul 2012, 15:59
Its been PX? since 2010 when they took delivery of the Q400s, 2nd & 3 B763
Anybody knows when the 2nd B737 gets in?

jarden
17th Jul 2012, 09:58
Did the 737 run the first POM-CEB run today?
Will they look at new ports a return to KUL or HNL maybe?

troppo
18th Jul 2012, 21:17
PNG budget carriers petition

Pina/Business World Online
Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PORT MORESBY - Two budget carriers, Cebu Pacific and ZestAir, have asked regulators for seat entitlements to Papua New Guinea left unused by flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL), documents from the Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) showed.

"Notice is hereby given that the above-mentioned petitioners have filed with the CAB their respective petitions for designation as official Philippine carrier and allocation of entitlements to Papua New Guinea under Route I in accordance with existing confidential memorandum of understanding," the notice dated July 5 read. Cebu Pacific, operated by Cebu Air, Inc., and Zest Airways, Inc. are both asking for 540 seat entitlements each.

For this route between Manila and Port Moresby, the Philippines has a total of 600 seat entitlements per week, 300 of which have already been allocated to PAL.

The country also has 2,500 unallocated seat entitlements per week for flights between any point outside Manila to any point in Papua New Guinea.

A hearing for the two petitions has been set on July 24. Cebu Pacific almost doubled the number of its international passengers served in the first quarter to 1.097 million from a year ago.

The Gokongwei-led carrier is looking to carry 14 million passengers this year, up 16.6 per cent from 2011.

The company plans to mount long-haul flights by the third quarter of next year, to destinations in the Middle East, Australia, United States and Europe. ZestAir, for its part, said it served 68,991 passenger for January to March, up by 72.52 per cent from year-ago levels. The carrier, formerly called Asian Spirit, aims to serve 3.5 million passengers this year, a 53.17 per cent improvement.

The company will be launching its Manila-Shanghai flights on July 25 and Manila-Kuala Lumpur flight in October after launching Manila-Incheon flights last month.

macdonaldjames93
23rd Jul 2012, 23:35
Is it true that the F/Os on the B737 now will have to come back down to command the Q400 before they can take command of the B737?
Is that mean that all the boys commanding the Q400 now will get direct entry left seat on the B737?

geeup
24th Jul 2012, 08:23
One would hope they would have to go back to the Dash8 - 100s for a command.

Q400 commands would step on a few toes I think and mess with the seniority system. I am guessing.

vee tail
26th Jul 2012, 00:04
All f/O's on the F100 have to go back to the Dash classic for a command and then move forward again to the F100 or Q400 as seniorority depicts. It's been this way for a while since some kiwis decided to change the structure in the company and say that you need 1000 hrs in command in country before you can have a jet command. This in turn enabled them to jump alot of people and get jet commands with no jet time coming from Dash classic.

Quite a few F28/F100 long term F/O's were put back in there careers by 4 - 6 years.

That is some of the awesome stuff PX management does:ok:

Maisk Rotum
15th Aug 2012, 06:28
Question??? When the 737 operation was muted Rishworth advertised for contract commanders. Did they come or were all appointments from within PX?

bushmanki
25th Aug 2012, 00:46
Heard PX have a few more aircraft on the way....

Any idea how long the wait for a work permit would be if you have a work permit for another company in PNG? Is it possible to transfer it over?

Maisk Rotum
25th Aug 2012, 17:18
That must be a difficult question to answer then since no-one has.

Has it upset the long serving troops that 'outside help' was required perhaps?

tourismman
26th Aug 2012, 22:46
Yes bushmanki one due in October a 800 .Another 800 close to being sourced as well.

bushmanki
27th Aug 2012, 04:50
2 ATR freighters according to the post courier arriving next month, and 1 more Q400 according to the kiunga refueler(although he couldn't provide further details)

Unusual-Attitude
27th Aug 2012, 09:49
No, you have to apply for a new permit. A couple of months generally, but as with everything in PNG, this can vary wildly.

Lapunkapten
3rd Sep 2012, 10:18
Maisk,

A bit of both.

Company line was not enough time to get internal guys up & running. For the record pixie has plenty of internal experience to handle it.

Ret Sabala
3rd Sep 2012, 11:40
Any news on whether the guys and girls at PX have been offered new contracts?
They will be rushed at the door by APNG pilots if they can up the money.
At present the only thing stopping many of the experienced guys is the money and tours
Ret

Unusual-Attitude
5th Sep 2012, 06:42
Lots of Fijians knocking about all of a sudden! ;)

Stratocaster1
2nd Jul 2015, 03:16
I've searched and been baffled- are there financial reports on ANG - its potentially going to float but no available information on its financial performance. I've been looking for a balance sheet, profit and loss and any projections to no avail

NDVP
6th Jul 2015, 03:54
I've not seen anything formally published in the last 27 years. Why would you publish facts anyway, they just make predictions and smokescreens more difficult?

splat72
6th Jul 2015, 06:52
Sounds more like a managment stooge digging to see what info the pilots have access to.
:yuk:

Getaway Turtle
9th Sep 2016, 17:03
Long shot but does anyone have info on the deliveries of the new Fokker 70s please?

I found details of an ANG6396 flight floating about between Singapore XSP and Subang 21-24 June 2016 then on 6 August flew Subang-Denpasar-Port Moresby as ANG6397 but no been able to ID which F70 it was. :confused:

tail wheel
9th Sep 2016, 23:36
Sounds more like a managment stooge digging to see what info the pilots have access to.

I don't think so.

ad-astra
10th Sep 2016, 01:45
Getaway Turtle

P2-ANU

Getaway Turtle
13th Sep 2016, 05:45
Getaway Turtle

P2-ANU
ad-astra, thank you very much!

Vertical_Speedster
15th Jul 2017, 20:32
I understand ANG are recruiting atm. I have seen the staff survey results for2017 which doesnt make pretty reading. Can someone tell me:
1. is it true there is no progression right to left for non residents?
2. does the 21 on/14 off still exist, and does it apply to FOs?
3. how bad is POM to be based out of?

Cheers in advance

olderairhead
16th Jul 2017, 10:47
vertical_speedster just in case you missed it there is a very long and extensive thread about this company.

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/549457-air-niugini-s-subsidiary-link-png.html

Enjoy the read and I think you will find answers to all your questions.

Also I can tell you that IAC are advertising, again, for this company as they have done for the past couple of years while this dispute has esculated.

And in those 2 years they have only been able to recruit a handful of desperate pilots.

The piloting world is boycotting PX for very good reasons.

Enough said.

balusnomore
16th Jul 2017, 11:34
Vertical_Speedster,

wow, with three posts to your name you resurrect a 10 month old thread when the most relevant thread (http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/549457-air-niugini-s-subsidiary-link-png.html) runs in in about the top 10 threads continually.

Wouldn't be a company stooge by chance would you.

If not, check out the real thread by real people that are, or still there, or even HAVE BEEN there.