PDA

View Full Version : SVFR question

magpienja
15th Oct 2008, 16:02
Hi guys I never covered this during my training as a microlight pilot and our text books don't go into any great detail on the subject,

But could one of you guys explain to me the difference between a SVFR zone transit and the VFR zone transit in regard to regional airfield CTR,

As far as I know it becomes SVFR when the viz is less than 10k, but what additional req would there be on me to accept one if I could as a microlight pilot that is.

Nick.

Chilli Monster
15th Oct 2008, 16:27
1st mistake - for a class 'D' CTR (most regional airports) it will only become a SVFR clearance if the vis is below 5km.

What you might be getting confused with is licence privileges which states that as a bare PPL you can't accept a SVFR clearance unless the in flight vis is 10km, or you're flying on a route specified as available (this normally means in the circuit, or following a published departure route).

As far as you're concerned - no difference in how it's handled from an ATC perspective (apart from the fact that we have to separate SVFR from IFR, but that's our problem, not yours). The main thing you have to think of is - can you accept the SVFR clearance? Unless you have an instrument or IMC rating on your licence the answer will probably be no. Whereas if the clearance is VFR then you can accept it quite happily.

two pints
15th Oct 2008, 16:32
VFR clearances are not issued to pilots when the weather shows less than 5km vis or the cloud ceiling is less than 1500ft,

From a controllers point of view, in VFR we pass traffic info and you pilots separate yourselves. Under a SVFR clearance we would provide the separation between SVFR traffic and other SVFR traffic or IFR traffic,

From a flying point of view, i don't believe you need any extra qualifications to be able to accept a SVFR clearance, but you'd need to check.

hope that helps, if you want more advice i suggest arranging a visit to your local ATC unit, most are always happy to have visitors and they will be able to explain clearly to you the types of service and clearances they offer.

Ivor_Novello
15th Oct 2008, 17:03
As far as I know it becomes SVFR when the viz is less than 10k, but what additional req would there be on me to accept one if I could as a microlight pilot that is.

I am not sure about micros, but as far as single engine piston is concerned, the privileges of a basic PPL are :

minimum flight vis 3 km / in sight of surface at all times
minimum vis 10 km and in sight of surface on an SVFR clearance in a CTR

if you hold an IMC rating, the privileges are :

minimum flight vis 1500m to maintain VFR / in sight of surface at all times
minimum vis 3 km / i.s.o.s. and clear of cloud on an SVFR clearance
minimum vis below cloud 1800m for any take off or landing

I've quoted the Trevor Thom book which quotes the ANO, so it should be a reliable source.

So it would appear that a basic PPL holder in class D couldn't accept a SVFR clearance as it would imply that the vis is below 5k.
The only situation in which a basic PPL will face a SVFR clearance is with vis 10k or more to cross temporary class A.

If I got this wrong, blame it on Trevor Thom :)

magpienja
15th Oct 2008, 17:21
Many thanks guys all clear now, would not apply to me then as I would not be flying in such conditions.

Nick.

OA32
15th Oct 2008, 17:30
The only situation in which a basic PPL will face a SVFR clearance is with vis 10k or more to cross temporary class A.

Just a small point but it doesn't just apply to temporary class A airspace, the Channel Islands are a good example of SVFR clearances issued in class A airspace.

2 sheds
15th Oct 2008, 18:36
VFR clearances are not issued to pilots when the weather shows less than 5km vis or the cloud ceiling is less than 1500ft

I think that you mean 5km - full stop. Information in respect of cloud ceiling below 1500ft has to be issued to the pilot as a timely reminder but does not necessarily preclude a VFR clearance (in the UK).

2 s