PDA

View Full Version : Turkish hijack...

angels
15th Oct 2008, 10:28
A Turkish Airlines plane has been hijacked en route from Antalya to St. Petersburg, Reuters is reporting CNN Turkey as saying.

readywhenreaching
15th Oct 2008, 10:55
just reproted that the hijcker was overwhelmed and all are safe...good to hear

Skyworker
15th Oct 2008, 11:42
It was a drunk tourist...

angels
15th Oct 2008, 11:46
One of the 'I've got a bomb strapped to my body' brigade.

I imagine the St. Pete police will be giving him a warm welcome.....

Glad all is okay.

121decimal375
15th Oct 2008, 15:01
Drunk sparks hijack alert on Turkish flight - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20081015/twl-uk-turkey-plane-hijack-a7cf3b4.html)

boofhead
15th Oct 2008, 16:11
Once again showing the total absurdity of "airport security".

AMEandPPL
15th Oct 2008, 16:11
Article about this from the Telegraph :

Passengers overcome hijacker on Turkish Airlines flight - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/3203377/Passengers-overcome-hijacker-on-Turkish-Airlines-flight.html)

Fascinating to see this quote :

"Surprisingly this hooligan was not British," said an official at Pulkovo

Oh, how are we admired abroad ? Or not, as the case may be !

Curious Pax
15th Oct 2008, 16:15
Once again showing the total absurdity of "airport security".

Why? He only said he had a bomb, he didn't, as far as is reported, actually have one. Leaving aside the fact that he sounds like a drunken prat rather than a foiled terrorist, it seems that airport security didn't let him through with anything untoward.

Avitor
15th Oct 2008, 16:24
Airport security gives me some peace of mind when I travel. I don't object either when I have to take off my shoes for an x-ray.

Well done the pax! :ok:

RIX BT
15th Oct 2008, 22:20
Fascinating to see this quote :

Quote:
This is because tourists from GB, at all times, are making fightings, drunken shows, when they are visiting post soviet countries. From Newspapers is posssible to read the police releases about arrested GB tourists.:)

SpeedbirdXK8
15th Oct 2008, 22:27
RIX BT - of course I forgot about Eastern European's rep for sober behaviour and excellent diet..... :mad:

flash8
15th Oct 2008, 23:24
This is because tourists from GB, at all times, are making fightings, drunken shows, when they are visiting post soviet countries. From Newspapers is possible to read the police releases about arrested GB tourists

Note that the Pulkovo official was not speaking about Russia, only about what he had read elsewhere. If Brits (or indeed anyone) did that in Russia they'd find themselves rapidly out of their depth with the Militsia. The Post Soviet State Militsia (much of it reined in by the EU) is a lot more tolerant than Putin's bully boys!

Romeo India Xray
16th Oct 2008, 02:02
RIX BT - of course I forgot about Eastern European's rep for sober behaviour and excellent diet..... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/censored.gif

I AM British, living and working in E Europe. The total trash that is shipped in from the UK on a weekly basis makes me ashamed of my nationality. The local populace, while being reputedly the worst alcoholics in the EU, contain their behaviour, are undisruptive and non confrontational. If I am returning home from work at a weekend night it is not groups of locals who are threatening, but groups of BRITISH "tourists" (read large groups of male, pi55ed, 20-30 somethings ehibiting yobbish behaviour and otherwise upholding the good name of the UK).

Back on topic. This instance has to raise the question of people under such influence being on board. Was the alcohol consumed prior to boarding? Was it consumed on board? I know this one has been done to death, but surely this (and the many other drink related incidents) highlight how significant the threat of alcohol is compared to terrorism. Should we not as an industry be doing more to prevent this kind of drunkenness, and raise awareness of the threats posed?

RIX

boofhead
16th Oct 2008, 15:54
Airport Security has nothing to do with airplane security. It is a farce. This incident shows that no amount of shoe removal, liquids rejection and other intrusive activities can stop a determined hijacker.
Few hijackings succeed since we have learned that the perps do not have the guns or bombs they claim to have and even if they did, the crew and passengers are better off if they tackle the hijackers and stop them in their tracks.
A pity we did not learn that lesson prior to 9/11.
The last successful hijacking I know about was in Spain. the hijacker had a tv remote that he said was a detonator for a bomb in his suitcase. Of course he did not have a bomb, but the airline decided to humour him.
My point again is that airport security does not protect us from hijackers. In many ways it makes it easier for them.
I cannot abide the idiots who think it works, especially those who work in the airline industry who surely know better. It was a spur, in the US, for the establishment of the world's biggest government department, Homeland Security, which was based on the successful Nazi example and has been used to take control of millions of cowards, and in case I was not clear, with no benefit and no protection for the traveling public.