PDA

View Full Version : HLA Layoffs

walkround
8th Jul 2001, 03:33
Heared today that HeavyLift/Prime are asking for volenteers for redundancies.3Capts,3F/O's and 4F/E's

Electric Sky
9th Jul 2001, 01:50
Has Prime started operations yet and if so what are they?I ask because I haven't seen the Prime A300 move from the compass base at EMA yet and it has been there about a month.

HalesAndPace
9th Jul 2001, 11:09
CAA proving flite tomorrow, then on-line soonest.

toolbox
9th Jul 2001, 12:31
WORD ON THE RAMP HAS IT,PRIME WILL BE MAKING REGULAR APPERANCES IN DUBLIN SOON!

Doctor Cruces
11th Jul 2001, 22:13
Probably intend to do the same as TBG et al and attempt to fly one aeroplane with only four crews, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Then no doubt the boss will come up to the operating base and show them how it can be done (What's FTLs?)and bo****k the ops guys rigid for not thinking of it for themselves and then go away again feeling as though he has solved the problem and shown those so called "Ops" people how to do their job. Especially if he has promised the customer 5 crews!!!

Thats probably what is going on at HLA just now, an exercise to maximise beans for the counters.

Doc C.

EI - E I - O
12th Jul 2001, 01:43
Saw this Happen in TransAer, months before it dropped. Its probably, an effort to show short term investors, who will want maximum return, that cost cutting measures are in place, Before the cash injection goes in, its the old Save a penny-Spend a Pound, logic"--Watch Out HLA!!

NotMyJob
12th Jul 2001, 03:01
Hey Doc, worse than that - they're talking 3 crews per aircraft - for real! :eek:

Doctor Cruces
12th Jul 2001, 06:35
NMJ,

They have to be kidding!!

3 crews per a/c is going to seriously inhibit the amount of flying they can do. Providing the customer has a definate program that only requires 3 crews, well ok. There is no flexibility here however. Found it very difficult to cover standbys 0600-2300 mon-thu and 0600 fri-2300 sun with 4 crews instead of five so goodness knows how HLA are going to survive on that sort of crew to a/c ratio.

Doc C

TRANSFIXT
13th Jul 2001, 01:05
THIS IS THE TYPICAL CRAP FROM HLA!!!
REDUNDANCIES ON THE HORIZON BUT THE C.A.A. REQ A FULL CREW COMPLIMENT BEFORE ALLOWING THE EVER DELAYED AND MESSY PAX OPS TO GET INTO SWING!! SOMEONE SHOW ME THEIR LOGIC HERE OR IS IT ME BEING STUPID???

WHEN THE SHIP GOES DOWN......... :rolleyes:

flugpants
13th Jul 2001, 12:30
The aircraft was passed on the test flight this Tuesday - but still paperwork issues outstanding before the a/c is added to the AOC.
It does have that - "is this ever gonna happen" feel about it :cool:

NotMyJob
14th Jul 2001, 03:09
Just in case HLA powers that be may be monitoring this thread, following is extracted from 13 July Kiplinger Washington Report, a recognized source of forecasts for business management decisions since 1923.

"Managers are scrambling for creative ways to trim labor costs
without laying off staff. In '90s, many firms cut too much...paid later
when the economy rebounded and they had to scramble for good workers.
Strategies include: Asking employees to use up accrued vacation.
Temporary pay cuts. Long sabbaticals for managers at a fraction of pay.
Promising bonuses to anyone rehired within 18 months of being laid off."

full text at (http://special.kiplinger.com/xp6/Kiplinger/Kiplinger_Letter/CurrentLetter.xml)

Just some ideas guys without getting too radical.

freightdoggy dog
14th Jul 2001, 20:44
So why were "the management" looking at TU204s down in Cairo last week. TNT have already tried that with AirRep! Seem to remember that the standard ABY container took all the lights out on the main deck where it was such a tight fit.
P.S last one out of the office turn the lights out. :cool:

darkstar_45
16th Jul 2001, 01:21
Was looking at HLA's website today - and what a suprise - still totally out of date!!
it does'nt say anything about the proposed new relationship with Antonov Airlines// Air Foyle or any news on the new A300 passenger Op
Looks very unprofesional - sadly a trait HLA are now getting a reputation for. Pitty really, once a great company

[ 15 July 2001: Message edited by: darkstar_45 ]

FREIGHTMEISTER
16th Jul 2001, 10:22
Heard from a friend in LTN that the pax ops setup may be moving to the Foyle offices IAW CAA instructions, great moving around in ops to accomadate them in the AF set up.. We wait and see!!

Brgds
FM

Cat-Club
16th Jul 2001, 12:00
:cool: So, if Ops is gonna be run from AF offices in LTN, where are the staff coming from? AF let their bods go last year. Will HLA Ops move to LTN :eek: Surely not :p

Rapid_Climber
20th Jul 2001, 21:52
Hey Freightmeister,

I think someone is pulling your chain. why would CAA suggest AF do pax ops as it's been a while since they run a scheduled service? As we all know with OPs positions there is always a high turn over in staff at any company, and most of the scheduled experienced staff have probably gone to scheduled operators. :rolleyes:

HalesAndPace
26th Jul 2001, 20:24
Watch out guys! Prime is looking pretty good to be on line next week.......

EI - E I - O
26th Jul 2001, 20:47
Where will it operate from?

Who will it operate for? :confused:

Electric Sky
26th Jul 2001, 22:08
It's still there at the moment.....

ES :)
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=171835

The Guvnor
26th Jul 2001, 23:04
So is it a case of "come back AFPAL, all is forgiven" or not? I'm somewhat confused here, people!!

How many crews per aircraft are they looking at - and what's the projected monthly utilisation/average sector time?

freightdoggy dog
27th Jul 2001, 01:36
The Hajj Guv, thats where she be flying. :eek:

Cat-Club
27th Jul 2001, 14:33
:rolleyes: Nice livery :rolleyes:

The Guvnor
27th Jul 2001, 19:24
If they are intending to do the Haj with this aircraft, then I hope they will be getting a few more than three crews for it! Somehow, I don't think that the CAA will wear the excuse that 2 months x 150 hours flying = the same as 3 months x 100 hours!!

JB007
27th Jul 2001, 20:29
Expect the AOC to be signed shortly...
Air Floyle are not doing the Ops for Prime.

3 crews per A/c is going to be a problem if they are intending to make money from ad-hoc. Considering the EMA base and expecting most work from the charter market i.e MAN/LGW..well thats 2 extra sectors positioning the A/c..plus say a TFS/LPA/DLM...errr, let hope they get assigned an understanding Ops Inspector!!! :eek:

[ 27 July 2001: Message edited by: JB007 ]

NotMyJob
27th Jul 2001, 23:39
Current Ops Inspector not rumoured to be THAT understanding!

VP8
28th Jul 2001, 04:37
Air Foyle definately not involved with ops but watch this space after the move to STN!!

The Guvnor
28th Jul 2001, 11:40
I see they had the same drunken painter that VS had for their first B747...

NotMyJob
28th Jul 2001, 12:11
Guv, guess that means we can expect them to follow the same "career" path as VS??

BillTheCoach
31st Jul 2001, 20:51
Have "Prime" not missed the bus (forgive the pun) with this exercise as they have now missed at least 2 prime months for ad hoc work.

If they could fly they would be making money especially given that Tradewinds have not appeared at EMA this year and there is a need for ad hoc operators. It would definetly be better for them to have 5 crews to keep up with the work which could be thrown at them !

HalesAndPace
31st Jul 2001, 22:50
Pax AOC all signed up, so Prime is ready for business!

BONDMAN
1st Aug 2001, 02:20
JB007, that particular ops inspecter is now upstairs as well

Bondy :D :D

VP8
8th Aug 2001, 04:17
Here that H&P have got competion from real pikeys in the new office carpark, although from looking at the building it looks like a reject from prisoner cell block H with a distinct lack of windows....

FREIGHTMEISTER
11th Aug 2001, 19:00
Hey Veeps,
heard they've got rid of the pikeys at HLA's new base of power and need a 124 to get rid of all the garbage left there before they move in on 17SEP.. any news on the job front???

FM :)

JB007
11th Aug 2001, 20:03
Haven't they just ordered 4 more A/c..all freighters...?

Top Loadie
11th Aug 2001, 20:07
HLA's new office was all lit up on Wednesday. Were the decorators in? They won't need aircon though, all the windows had been put in.. :mad:

What aircraft are they looking at? How about the Belfast at RAF Cosford...

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: Top Loadie ]

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: Top Loadie ]

VP8
12th Aug 2001, 13:35
Hi FM

Job at SITA panned out after the interview saying the money for the position was recinded by the beancounters, therefore no money no vacancy. Still looking though, maybe Air Antique or further north as there are too many chiefs and not enough indians here with ops stuck in the middle.

Heard about the new offices, not surprised about the windows with a lot of pikeys in the back, surprised that there is any building left. Still no news on when we move though.... :confused: but we'll probably get to know the day before!!

C YA
VP8

DogsDiner
12th Aug 2001, 14:00
Heared from a Prime cabin crew member that they were told "They have no need to worry as they have the heavylift finances behind them"! ;)

freightdoggy dog
12th Aug 2001, 14:43
Iranian Money :D