PDA

View Full Version : Mode C verification

Pure Pursuit
13th Oct 2008, 17:06
Guys & girls,

quick question...

would you charlie verify an aircraft that has freecalled you with a validated squawk?

The Fat Controller
13th Oct 2008, 17:24
If you were already wearing a validated squawk, which must have been issued by another unit, why would you be free-calling somebody else ?

If you wanted a service from me I would issue one of my own codes, identify you and verify your mode C irrespective of your previous code.

VectorLine
13th Oct 2008, 17:24
If it freecalled me, I wouldn't assume the squawk validated.

eyeinthesky
13th Oct 2008, 17:26
If the aircraft has been handed over from a unit which is an 'approved' one for verifying Mode c (there is a list), then no further verification is not required.

You mention 'free call' which suggests it is not handed over. In that case, how will we know that the Mode c is previously verified? Therefore verification is required.

We may also ask you to 'ident' so that the computer links your squawk to the flight plan if it has not done so automatically.

All of the above is from a London Control point of view.

Pure Pursuit
13th Oct 2008, 20:29
Many thanks for the replies guys.

dilly
16th Oct 2008, 20:22
What do the military ATC and FC chaps do?? How bout the guys on AWACS who can only get freecalls?

ADIS5000
18th Oct 2008, 10:58
Dilly,

FCs on routine sorties validate and verify. I'm pretty sure that AWACS guys validate and verify their normal squawks too. However, on big exercises where there may be 10 - 30+ ac on freq this just isn't practical so those NATO exercise squawks ending in 00 are usually used.

PS: It is possible to do radar handovers to AWACS, but involves a lot of radios!

Regards, ADIS

dagowly
28th Oct 2008, 22:23
JATCC teach to accept the Mode C level if it has a validated squawk. IE from London Mil controller or an RAF ATCRU. If its on a 7000 or the 0000 then its a no go.

HD1
9th Nov 2008, 20:01
If an ac FCs you should not assume anything. The Sqk may be corrupt. You must go through the whole ident, validation and verification if a radar service is required.

Never assume. Check!!

mad_jock
9th Nov 2008, 22:41
Unless you are lossie radar then you can ident on a 7000 squawk through a second party agency and issue clearance limits through said agency all in class G airspace to VFR traffic.

rata2e
9th Nov 2008, 22:54
Calm down muppet, I think they would've gained an ident using PSR. I think a request for coordination is more likely than a clearance (sic) to VFR in class g. This thread is about verification and validation of mode C.