PDA

View Full Version : ILSZ Rwy 27 Appch charts

zeus_737
9th Oct 2008, 04:02
Could any one please explain to me wht does ILS Z Rwy 27 mean.?

Reimers
9th Oct 2008, 06:51
In some countries, there are different procedures designed around an ILS.
For example, there might be a procedure turn based on tracking an NDB bearing outbound to somewhere, and then an interception of the localizer - and this will get an identifying letter - "Z" in this case. Another procedure might lead to the glide slope intercept directly from a VOR that is not co-located to the above mentioned NDB. This procedure might then be called ILS "Y".
Occasionally there might also be different tracks to be flown when going around, based on the letters identifying the ILS.

Other countries will rather use the "via" or "transition" phraseology to differentiate different procedures around common approaches.

mathy
9th Oct 2008, 07:02
If there are multiple approaches of basically the same type but with subtle differences (NDB, VORTAC etc involved) they are indicated alphabetically but starting from z then y all the way I suppose to a.

Metro man
9th Oct 2008, 08:20
In Australia, typically this would refer to distances based on different DMEs, ILS Y might be based on the ILS DME, where as ILS Z would be exactly the same procedure but distances would be taken from the VOR/DME.

Useful if DME is mandatory for the procedure, eg no outer marker due to being over water. You can still fly the ILS if its DME fails.

JAR
9th Oct 2008, 09:08
In Italy there are P,S,T and Q which I can only guess mean Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and whatever the same is for four in Italian.

Only my guess though!

quaternary

Henry VIII
9th Oct 2008, 09:57
Quarto (fourth) :ok:

airman13
9th Oct 2008, 13:16
many years before , for multiple app, on the same rwy, same type of app and same guidance, they used ILS 2 (no link with cat ll), but for no confusion with circling VOR-A, par example, they changed in letters from the end of alphabet X;Y;Z

fireflybob
9th Oct 2008, 16:15
Also used for different missed approaches - example Rome (Ciampino) ILS Y or Z depending on which runway is in use at Rome (Fumicinio) which is nearby.

HiFli
10th Oct 2008, 14:21
In South Africa, Y will direct you to the NDB and Z to the VOR on the missed approach.