PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for Swanwick ATCO's

mike1711
8th Oct 2008, 16:31
Hi,

I am starting at the college soon, and was just wondering, when Swanwick had computer problems the other week and were reported to be using manual systems, I was wondering what these manual systems are? Are they safe? how does it work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks

B-Chops
8th Oct 2008, 19:46
Manual Systems = Pen and paper!

I think it's safe - unless you have a really sharp pencil!

Pen glides across paper and creates lines to make words!

I really don't know, more 50pences put in the meter and it's all working now - just a few delays! I wouldn't really worry yourself about it too much - leave that to the techie geeks! Good luck at the college though!

mike1711
8th Oct 2008, 20:54
I assume you mean procedural, I assumed pen, paper, words etc were involved, im not quite that dumb:ugh:, I was more after a brief explanation of how the 'manual system' works in practice and what it involves

eastern wiseguy
8th Oct 2008, 21:43
I assume you mean procedural, I assumed pen

Assume nothing........:=:)

eyeinthesky
9th Oct 2008, 09:51
In the case of the failure the other week, put very simply it is this:

In normal operations, the computer passes flight details between sectors and centres automatically much quicker than a human can do. It is called electronic coordination.

When the system fails, this process has to be done by a human to another by phone. The receiving ATSA has to write down the details on a paper strip (or two, or three), give these to the controller, and then pass on the details to the next sector, where the process is repeated. Meantime, the phone is ringing from the previous sector with details on a new flight. That all takes a while and clogs up the system.

Is it safe? Absolutely
Does it work? Yes
Is it quick? No

mike1711
9th Oct 2008, 19:06
:ok:eyeinthesky,

many thanks for giving me some insight into what happens, I was thinking that all of the radar screens had effectively gone blank:confused: and was imagining a multitude of ATCO's with paper charts/plotters/dividers and a headset:}(joking)

Just out of interest, what would happen if the radar system at swanwick was down?

Thanks in advance

BDiONU
9th Oct 2008, 19:11
Just out of interest, what would happen if the radar system at swanwick was down?
They'd control using 'The Force' :rolleyes:

BD

DotMac
9th Oct 2008, 20:25
Not sure this is something that should really be discussed in a public forum. Mike1711, when you start working for NATS then there'll be loads of information freely available about our fallback procedures

DotMac

mike1711
9th Oct 2008, 20:29
I wondered who the shady lookin wrinkled face guy in a big cloak at my stage 3 interview was, tryin to convert me to the dark side :E

mike1711
9th Oct 2008, 20:32
Fair point, Dotmac

I certainly wouldnt want to compromise security or anything, was just a bit curious and too impatient to wait until next year to find out:ok:

Arkady
10th Oct 2008, 08:44
I never, ever, want to find out what we would do if the screens at Swanwick went blank. :uhoh:

mike1711
10th Oct 2008, 12:25
I only asked the question originally because I thought that is what had happened:eek:
Evidently it wasn't what happened, but id be interested to know what would be the plan! I will pester the instrucotrs at colege for the answer:}

Loki
10th Oct 2008, 12:58
Lost power completely in what can almost be described as a career. RT power on batteries, through an emergency handset and nothing else. Not nice!

Neither occurred at Swanwick, though the second occasion was at a centre.

mike1711
10th Oct 2008, 13:11
sounds nasty, do you drill/prepare for theses situations or just pray they never happen?

DotMac
10th Oct 2008, 17:27
Mike1711,

There are plenty of instructors at the College with experience of working at centres. I suggest you ask them when you join - I'm sure they'll share some stories with you!

Good luck with your course! When do you start?

DotMac

mike1711
10th Oct 2008, 17:30
Hi DotMac

hopefully Jan but maybe April pending on re-course numbers, but judging by the state of the economy maybe never??:{:(