PDA

View Full Version : ground-air radio requirements ?

plus7g
7th Oct 2008, 19:42
Have been asked to " man" the radio a few times at my local , small airfield. We have an air-ground radio ( advisory) only - do i still need some sort of licence to transmit on this ? I know I can only ever pass the "unofficial" weather observation , QFE/QNH and surface wind etc .. but am sure I need some sort of RT licence ?
your help appreciated

Jumbo Driver
7th Oct 2008, 21:20
Yes, you need a "Radio Operator’s Certificate of Competence" ... Chapter 2, Page 2, Para. 6 of CAP 452 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP452.PDF) sets out what is required.

Hope this helps ...

JD
:)

plus7g
8th Oct 2008, 07:14
JD- it pretty much covers it thanks - but am I correct in that I read it as I would be operating under the airfield operators/owners licence - not requiring a certificate of competence individually ?

Jumbo Driver
8th Oct 2008, 09:35
plus7g, I can only read CAP 452, as you can.

I think that Chapter 2, paras 5.1 to 5.4 answer your questions.

My reading is that all Aeronautical Radio Station Operators must individually hold a Certificate of Competence, issued by the CAA (ATS) and endorsed (authorised) as competent by the holder of the particular radio station licence.

JD
:)

2 sheds
8th Oct 2008, 10:51
plus 7g

Check PMs.

chevvron
8th Oct 2008, 11:22
Whether you hold any type of licence or not, you must still obtain a Certificate of Competency to operatre an Air/Ground radio station and this certificate must be signed as has been said before, by the radio station licence holder to signify that they have approved you to use their radio station.
An ATCO with current ADV or ADI ratings or a FISO may apply for this certificate and it will be issued free; all others (including FRTOL holders) must pass an exam with an authorised examiner.