PDA

View Full Version : Not Getting Through NATS Selection

jack.raven
7th Oct 2008, 12:21
If I do not make it through NATS selection, is there any other company that trains people and does not charge them? I asked this at the stage 1 selection yesterday but was wondering if there was any more opinions?

Vlad the Impaler
7th Oct 2008, 13:52
Probably not the brightest question to ask at your stage 1 selection.
Hello NATS I'd like to come and work for you but are there any bail out options if I'm a bit rubbish?
Oh and please spend £x000 training me cheers.

The answer to your question is broadly no.

Most non NATS units train from their assistant ranks or recruit those who pass the NATS course but don't validate at their unit.

A possible option is eurocontrol but chances are if you don't get in with NATS then you will have similar issues with them.

You can of course reapply to NATS after a year (I think) or you may have to accept that you might just not have the aptitude to be an ATCO. Not many do but good luck.
And lets have a bit more of a positive mental attitude eh?

SACrIGGER
7th Oct 2008, 14:01
The RAF or RN?

Spitoon
7th Oct 2008, 16:44
I don't mean this in a detrimental way because we all have to learn these things one way or another...but get some advice about how to handle interviews.

BeT
7th Oct 2008, 18:35
Eurocontrol would be the best bet.

I failed my NATS entry on the 1st day and was refused a subsequent attempt at the tests.

I applied to Eurocontrol, passed the tests and now have my 1st validation.

I have heard similar things from a number of people here.

Go figure.

classicwings
7th Oct 2008, 21:03
If your still determined this is the career for you but cannot be entertained by an ATC service provider such as NATS or Eurocontrol then you could always look into the private funding route- involving putting a considerable amount of money upfront to pay for an ATC rating course- with no guarantee of passing.

There are a few private colleges in the UK who offer ATC training courses. I would however advise that you have prior relevent experience before even considering this route, such as having an R/T licence or some practical experience at an aerodrome so you know you have a chance of passing the course. Then of course it is up to you find a suitable employer who will then train you up to becoming fully qualified.

jack.raven
8th Oct 2008, 10:07
Vlad:
I was only asking because If it doesnt happen I was looking for another entry. Isnt pessimistic is realistic planning in case everything does not go to plan.

gla-lax
9th Oct 2008, 19:14
hate to disappoint the aloof but highlands and islands will take you and pay for the training.

Vlad the Impaler
14th Oct 2008, 08:50
I am sure it is a good idea to be aware of your options as I am equally sure that it is a really bad idea to ask about those options at your NATS interview!
That is what this forum is for.
I was unaware of HIAL training from scratch but that just makes me ill informed at worst, not aloof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nibbler
15th Oct 2008, 00:34
ok question (out of interest) how much does it help in your training if you already have the RT license? Is learning the RT or using the radio a big issue for trainees?

Spitoon
15th Oct 2008, 09:33
It's really not going to make much difference whether you have an RT licence. You might get a small benefit from knowing the phonetic alphabet but the downside will be all the bad habits you've picked up and the fact that as a controller you need to think of the other half of the conversation.

And, frankly, the bit you hear on the RT is a tiny part of the job.

niknak
15th Oct 2008, 11:14
Jack.

You should be aware that Highlands and Islands Airports Ltd do offer ATCO training, but they use a selection process which almost mirrors the NATS one.
There is a lot of competition from high quality local people and staff at their airports, and although it's not the sole criteria, they are very keen on choosing people from the communities where the airports are, i.e the Islands.
Opportunities do exist to move on to Inverness, Dundee, the mainland etc but you'll need to put in a couple of years before that happens.

As has already been said, for someone with no experience at an airfield, funding your own training is an extremely high risk to take. If you fail, there's no guarantee of getting your money back.

You may want to have another bash at NATS when you are permitted to do so, but until then, a good way of getting atco training is to get a job as an ATSA at a regional airport.
Prepare a short, but concise letter selling yourself with the reasons why you want to get into ATC and send it to the Manager of ATS (find out their name first) at every regional airport where NATS don't provide the ATC services and ask for an opportunity to go and spend half a day with them.
Most regional airports have ATCO training schemes from time to time and they nearly always select from their on ATSAs first, again, competition is fierce and you probably won't be considered until you've had a year or so's experience, but it's worth the wait.

Whatever you do, do your research first and get some interview tips from the forums on Pprune, there's a lethora of information available.

Tower Ranger
15th Oct 2008, 17:56
On the other hand if you don`t make it as a controller you could always become a pilot!!

Lights blue touch paper and retires................

pikman
15th Oct 2008, 23:32
no need to retire! We all know if they had brains they'd be ATCOs :-)

jack.raven
19th Oct 2008, 19:58
Thanks for that niknak, i made it through to stage 2 so is all good so far :)