PDA

View Full Version : FSF Alar Tool Kit

Mr. Burns
7th Oct 2008, 08:38
I'd like to know something about the use of the FSF Alar Tool Kit in the daily operation. I have no doubt that is a great thing; however, it features 2.600 pages of information (acc. FSF homepage) so I'm thinking about how to make efficient use of that. I'd would appreciate if some of you who are using the CD would share their experience.

Brgds, Mr. Burns

IGh
7th Oct 2008, 17:16
Question posed just above:
"FSF Alar Tool Kit ... the use of the FSF Alar Tool Kit in the daily operation.... 2.600 pages ... how to make efficient use ..."

I suspect that most airline pilots will never seek those FSF- ALAR standards (as set in FSF documents), since the line pilot is faced with contradictions inside his company's own manuals.

FSF assembled various ALAR resources, those FSF standards are useful (to pilots and investigators) in cases where the local regulator (FAA, local CAA) collapses, or suffers a role-reversal between the operator and the “regulator” [big airline forces regional regulator to accept their version as a new “standard”].

As highlighted earlier in 2008 [by House and Senate Committee investigations], the breakdown in the FAA’s Southwest Region “oversight” was mostly an issue of “standards” – abandoning an FAA “standard” in favor of alternative “standard” created by a powerful airline.

".. FSF Alar Tool Kit … 2.600 pages … how to make efficient use of that … [?]”
Here a link to the _ALAR Briefing Notes_
Flight Safety Foundation ALAR Additional Resources (http://www.flightsafety.org/alar_resources.html)

Though this list might seem extensive, there remains some thin explanation, in some Notes.
Introduction to ALAR Briefing Notes [PDF 26K]
1.1 — Operating Philosophy [PDF 83K]
1.2 — Automation [PDF 62K]
1.3 — Golden Rules [PDF 58K]
1.4 — Standard Calls [PDF 53K]
1.5 — Normal Checklists [PDF 93K]
1.6 — Approach Briefing [PDF 60K]
2.1 — Human Factors [PDF 62K]
2.2 — Crew Resource Management [PDF 60K]
2.3 — Pilot-Controller Communication [PDF 72K]
2.4 — Interruptions/Distractions [PDF 55K]
3.1 — Barometric Altimeter and Radio Altimeter [PDF 91K]
3.2 — Altitude Deviations [PDF 62K]
4.1 — Descent-and-approach Profile Management [PDF 57K]
4.2 — Energy Management [PDF 97K]
5.1 — Approach Hazards Overview [PDF 102K]
5.2 — Terrain [PDF 80K]
5.3 — Visual Illusions [PDF 96K]
5.4 — Wind Shear [PDF 64K]
6.1 — Being Prepared to Go Around [PDF 56K]
6.2 — Manual Go-around [PDF 55K]
6.3 — Terrain-avoidance (Pull-up) Maneuver [PDF 58K]
6.4 — Bounce Recovery — Rejected Landing [PDF 53K]
7.1 — Stabilized Approach [PDF 64K]
7.2 — Constant-angle Nonprecision Approach [PDF 88K]
7.3 — Visual References [PDF 62K]
7.4 — Visual Approach [PDF 60K]
8.1 — Runway Excursions and Runway Overrun [PDF 58K]
8.2 — The Final Approach Speed [PDF 57K]
8.3 — Landing Distances [PDF 92K]
8.4 — Braking Devices [PDF 83K]
8.5 — Wet or Contaminated Runways [PDF 73K]
8.6 — Wind Information [PDF 64K]
8.7 — Crosswind Landings [PDF 163K]

alf5071h
7th Oct 2008, 23:50
The ALAR Tool Kit follows the standard FSF pattern which starts with data, an evaluation by industry - a report, and a collection of ‘useful’ briefings etc.
In this instance the output is slightly more practical than previous initiatives, particularly as most of the briefings came from Airbus, and there is a video emphasising the key issues – fit TAWS, give an approach briefing, fly a Stabilised Approach, follow SOPs, use the Radio Altimeter, and it OK to fly a GA.

All of these items should by now be included in operators SOPs, if not, make them your own SOPs.
The briefings contain a wealth of background knowledge; as time permits read all of them and take every opportunity to relate them to daily operations. There are many different associations to be made, all contribute to airmanship and hence avoiding CFIT / ALA.
Where applicable, Airbus updates and related subjects are in the Airbus Safety Library. (www.airbus.com/en/corporate/ethics/safety_lib/index.html)

The FSF pilot’s guide presentation covers some of the points above, but like the video its only on the CD. I have seen a presentation version of the video issues, but it is not distributed by FSF.

The CFIT checklist (cfit_checklist.pdf ) is a particularly useful tool; initially it was aimed at operators, but it is also of valuefor every pilot in evaluating the risks at specific airports. An example of how this has been used by Avianca in Columbia is in the ICAO Journal for Mar 99 (www.icao.int/icao/en/jr/1999/).
The checklist is on the CD, but I thought that there was a copy (several versions in different languages) on the web somewhere. I have also seen a spreadsheet version for operators’ audits. In addition, I think that Eurocontrol used this format for runway incursion risks evaluation.
The risk assessment tool (fsf_rat.pdf) is of use in daily ops, as is the ALAR guide (alar_guide.pdf). Again both are on the CD, but web copies should be available. Items in these can be incorporated in an approach briefing

The presentation Managing Threats and Errors During Approach and Landing (www.flightsafety.org/ppt/managing_threat.ppt), is a more recent addition with practical solutions highlighting how to avoid a runway excursion.

A key reminder for daily operations are the many and varied hazards which are in everyday operations, and the need to remember to pull up (control the surprise) when a warning is given; there are good examples in the ICAO hosted paper Celebrating TAWS ‘Saves’: But lessons still to be learnt. (www.icao.int/fsix/_Library%5CTAWS%20Saves%20plus%20add.pdf) This was serialized last year in the FSF Aero Safety World magazine (www.flightsafety.org/asw_home.html), and there are presentation versions available on FSF CDs of safety seminar proceedings.

I suspect that like most safety issues in aviation there are no easy ways of applying the ALAR Tool Kit information. Good quality knowledge never hurt anyone, discipline in applying the knowledge, by asking what if and how does the knowledge apply to this situation, will aid understanding and develop airmanship, which with constant practice (revisiting the ALAR Tool Kit) should aid judgment.

P.S. Why not reference some of the docs above in JAR/EU OPS

safetypee
9th Oct 2008, 18:59
Use of radio altimeter / altimeters / altitude.
Have an SOP of “Rad Alt Live – 2500ft” call and check that the range to the airport is less than 10nm. This provides additional awareness of altitude and of the range to the airport – approach planning and energy management.

Training – knowledge that during a NPA there is always approx 1000ft terrain / obstacle clearance during the en-route, arrival and initial approach phases of a procedure.
There is 500ft clearance during the intermediate approach, and 250 ft clearance on final approach. Thus if the rad alt reads less than these values for the appropriate stage of the approach a GA must be flown.

Have a specific procedure to set and cross check QNH. Pilots should use an independent source for the information; each set their own altimeter then crosschecks the other ones (don’t forget the standby alt). Additional checks made for a QNH based VNAV approach; this also includes temperature correction if applicable.

Company procedures clearly define the pull up procedure – without hesitation, manage the surprise, etc. Also, define the ‘safe altitude’ to climb to – the sector safe altitude not the procedure or cleared altitude. Do not commence another approach until the reason for the warning has been clearly established – no assumptions. Company has a ‘Just Culture’, no blame policy re pull-ups and go-arounds.

General.
No night-visual approaches allowed. Avoids the risk of black-hole illusion.

Approach briefing considers “should we be making this approach as opposed to can we make this approach”. (CRM / LOFT training)

Company prepared altitude range tables for all NPAs. All ranges shown for the nav aid to be used (DME) to provide a stable approach path towards the threshold.
GA at MDA, no level flight segment to MAP.

Check non company sourced approach charts for any ambiguity; highlight differences between PANS-OPS procedures and TERPS – particularly for circling approaches.

Regular EGPWS database updates and software revisions where available, i.e. Peaks and Obstacle modes: Indispensable Upgrades. (www.flightsafety.org/asw/aug08/asw_aug08_p18-20.pdf)

Mr. Burns
3rd Dec 2008, 19:57
Thanks a lot for your comments and remarks. You might have wondered about this thread as the software is not really expensive but I worked for an airline where one had to expect discussions even before approval for purchase of rather cheap software and other stuff...

safetypee
4th Dec 2008, 01:40
By all means, purchase the FSF CD, but the only significant addition to the materials already on line is the ALAR video.
The video is worth showing once, also used as a refresher, but it may be considered ‘old hat’ in comparison to newer or operator specific materials (as above). The main points of the video are in the executive presentation. (www.flightsafety.org/alar/alar_03.ppt)