PDA

View Full Version : Airways NZ Profit Rises

Petit Pompier
6th Oct 2008, 08:52
"State-owned air traffic controller Airways New Zealand today reported a net profit after tax of $10.6 million in the year to June 30, up from $6.86m in the same period last year.

The company said the increase was achieved in a difficult environment with high fuel prices and the US credit crunch affecting its clients.
Airways had revenue of $139m, of which $121m came from airways charges. The revenue last year was $131m.
The company paid $6m in dividends to the Government and a $2m rebate to customers.
Airways chief executive Ashley Smout said a key issue was ensuring that the company had enough trained staff.
"There is a high demand for air traffic controllers globally and particularly in the Middle East where the aviation industry is experiencing dramatic growth," he said." - NZPA

Ashley, increasing salaries to match the standard set by the likes of Ireland, Germany and the Middle East might ensure that you retain your trained staff.

Time to stop giving airlines rebates and increase charges for the first time in 11 years?

zkpjm
7th Oct 2008, 04:49
It seems to me that Airways have continually failed to accept the realities of 'market forces' when it come to addressing pay rates.
What happened to the '3 legged stool' model... I note the shareholder and customers do very well but the staff?????

Reminds me of the joke about what not to say in a gay bar..... "Can I push your stool in???"
It seems that's exactly what Airways have been doing to their staff for a number of years now!!

DTLP
7th Oct 2008, 06:27
Great call ZKPJM. I like it :}. Looks like our colleagues in Austrayia, doesn't have an 'L', are leading the way forward. Go you good things, ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi. Your efforts will hopefully lead the way for your kiwi counterparts. Time for Airways to up their user charges ever so slightly. Lifestyle counts for a lot, but at the end of the day money does talk, not for all, but a fair number. Middle Eastern salaries are on the verge of another descent increase, desperately required to stop the rot. When it happens, no doubt there will be another round of departures from NZ, and yeas, lets not forget the German and Irish packages. I also heard Portugal are quite short too. Haven't mentioned the problems faced by the US either!

Jors Troolie
7th Oct 2008, 13:03
Middle Eastern salaries are on the verge of another descent increase

That would be the opposite of a climbing decrease I suppose?

DTLP
8th Oct 2008, 23:45
doh, damn frost bitten digits. Very sharp though :ok:

DTLP
8th Oct 2008, 23:47
Doh, damn frost bitten digits, very sharp :ok:

The Rottweiler
9th Oct 2008, 21:23
The next set of contract negotiations for the controllers will start at the end of this year, as the current contract expires at the end of March 2009. Given the current free fall of the worlds economies I can hear Aunty Airways giving us the doom and gloom speech yet again, they will be telling us that its time for us to tighten our belts and accept a minor cost of living increase - CPI.

It appears that in New Zealand "market forces" only apply to company directors, senior management, and even not so senior management (this includes CEO's who manage to bankrupt their companies).
I think that Aunty Airways is hoping that the General Election (next month) and the huge bribes from both main parties of about an extra $20 a week in tax cuts will solve all their staffing problems......................Yeah Right!

For the foreseable future, Ashley's wish of having enough trained staff (who can actually do the job) will remain just that, a wish!