PDA

View Full Version : Farmstrip flying

rafhawk
5th Oct 2008, 16:27
Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on a certain topic.

I am a student and living a fairly budget lifestyle. However, i still have a fair bit of aviation/flying experence flying in bonanza's, musketeers, C150's, Grob Tutors, Viking gliders and PA 28's.

I am looking at getting a small aircraft of my own. I am looking at small 3 axis microlights at the moment.
(like this one Phantom Ultralight (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=9503&imid=0) )

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps tell me the rules and regulations regarding using private property ( with the owners permisson and outside of class D airspace obviously). Or if you are able to point me towards a website with a databaseof private clubs. I am based in Bournemouth, Dorset.

Also what licence/certificate i need to obtain to allow me to fly such an aircraft. microlight ? NPPL ?

Thanks

Bill.

The Flying Pram
5th Oct 2008, 16:58
The machine shown is a very early example, and isn't going to have much in the way of spares and support. You might be better off trying a basic Thruster. As to using private land, the main problem is planning permission. The chances of getting this for a new site a virtually nil, unless you have very deep pockets! However many folk make use of the same 28 day rule that car boot sales etc operate under. This will obviously limit your flying, but can be a start. A trick sometimes used is to either divide the field into more than one part, or if possible use different fields. If no complaints are received then the matter of counting days often gets overlooked....

The other thing to do is check the BMAA and LAA websites for details of local clubs. There may well be an established strip nearby, and shares are often available - I know you would like your own A/C, but this can be a bigger commitment than many realise.

The licence rules have changed since I did my PPL so I'm sure others will be able to advise you on the current setup better than I can.

airborne_artist
5th Oct 2008, 17:49
Also what licence/certificate i need to obtain to allow me to fly such an aircraft. microlight ? NPPL

NPPL (M) (http://www.nppl.uk.com/) :ok:

rafhawk
5th Oct 2008, 18:41
Thanks guys :ok: