PDA

View Full Version : Bi-plane pleasure flight?

Flock1
4th Oct 2008, 09:35
Hi,

I'm in the process of organising a pleasure flight for my father-in-law for his 70th birthday. He has never been up in a light aircraft but really fancies a flight in a bi-plane,

His location is near Settle, Lancashire, so an airfield around there would be good, I've done a quick search on the net and have been quoted a price of £380 for a 60 min flight. Is this the best deal I can get?

Any help will be welcome.

Regards

Flock1

Whopity
4th Oct 2008, 09:50
Have a look here it should give you a look at prices at the other end of the country:

Tiger Airways - Tiger Moth Flights and Vintage Biplane Flights (http://www.tigerairways.co.uk/index.php?/Tiger-Moth-Flights-Vintage-Biplane-Flights.html)

Lister Noble
4th Oct 2008, 10:36
One hour in a Stearman is £450 in Norfolk

Pace
4th Oct 2008, 11:02
Whopity

Well at least you get 1 Hour for £295 compared to £420. Maybe I am out of touch with renting light aircraft and especially classics.

I know there is an outfit at Gloucester with a couple of Biplanes (Tiger Moth and Stampe) but no idea what they charge?

Maybe the charges are high because they target the public more than pilots with packages sold in the high street stores and can get away with £140 per 20 mins experience?

Are the running costs of a classic/vinatge really that more expensive?

Pace

Chris Rollings
4th Oct 2008, 14:03
Actually, as one of the owners of the Staverton, Gloucestershire, Tiger Airways Biplane outfit; yes it is that expensive to maintain old biplanes. Engine TBO 850 hours (they usually don't make it), overhaul cost around £30,000. Generally about five hours of engineers time for each hour the aircraft flies. But they are fun to fly. Gift Experience companies generally operate on mark-ups of around 20 - 60% on the slightly discounted prices we give them, buying direct from the operator is almost always better value.

effortless
4th Oct 2008, 17:54
Not sure if they are still amenable but Cambridge Flying Group (http://www.cambridgeflyinggroup.co.uk/) used to give flips at a very reasonable fee. Bit of a trek but lively lot of blokes and blokesses.

possel
4th Oct 2008, 20:46
Even further south, the Tiger Club at Headcorn, Kent do Trial Flights in Tiger Moths - prices depend on duration and nothing is cheap!

Whopity
5th Oct 2008, 22:05
Pace,

They are the people in the link. Last time I flew a Tiger Moth it was £4 for the hour!

Flock1
7th Oct 2008, 07:33
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Will try to look for somewhere up north (Barton? Liverpool? Newcastle?) or else will try Cambridge. Bit of a trek there though from Settle.

Flock1

Retired Redcap
7th Oct 2008, 07:49
Throughout the summer Delta Aviation ran weekend Tiger Moth flights at Barton. Might be an idea to look at their website.

Christopher_Hunt
8th Oct 2008, 12:04
Hi Flock1

If its any help, i've flown with Tiger Airways out of Gloucester a couple of times and must say they are a well run professional organisation.

JOE-FBS
8th Oct 2008, 19:19
Is the timing critical? I guess it is for a birthday present! The Moth Club has one or more rallies per year when they offer trips. They came to Halton in spring this year and seemed to do loads. They also do stuff like balloon bursting and flour bag bombing to add to the amusement.

Calendar of Events of the de Havilland Moth Club (http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk/calendar.htm)