PDA

View Full Version : Differency between ATC clearances

pre3l2s
3rd Oct 2008, 10:00
I few months ago I read a document published by NATS/CAA about the differences between a 'Direct to.....X' and 'Own Navigation.....X'.

Can someone please refresh my memory between the differences please.

Scooby Don't
3rd Oct 2008, 10:35
Own nav puts the onus for terrain separation and avoidance of restricted airspace on the pilot.

topdrop
4th Oct 2008, 10:53
Own nav puts the onus for terrain separation and avoidance of restricted airspace on the pilot
Certainly doesn't have that affect where I work. If the aircraft is in controlled airspace, I'm responsible for R Area avoidance and terrain avoidance - some obvious exceptions for terrain - given a visual clearance or is on an instrument approach, but I still have to monitor the instrument approach and advise if it appears to be outside tolerances.

The Fat Controller
4th Oct 2008, 11:28
If you are flying on your flight planned route, a "direct to XXX" means just that, miss out all intermediate waypoints and fly to XXX.
You will already be on your own navigation.
ATC would consider the airspace implications (Danger Areas etc) and not send you somewhere dangerous !

"Resume own navigation to XXX" will be used where you have been on a heading allocated by ATC and you are now released from that constraint, whether it was for separation, a short cut around a Danger/Restricted area etc.
It may be your next waypoint or further along the route.