PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Sydney

Whirlybird
2nd Oct 2008, 15:39
I'm going on holiday to Australia at the end of this month. I finish in Sydney in mid-November, and realising I had a couple of days to spare, I emailed four flying schools at Bankstown Airport. I just said I was a very rusty PPL(A) (which is true), wanted to fly for an hour or two with an instructor to see the local scenery etc, and could they let me have some details. Three haven't replied, but one has booked me in for up to three hours on my last day in Oz! I'm a little surprised, but impressed with their efficiency. They're called Schofields Flying Club. Does anyone know anything about them, or have any experience of them? PM me if there's anything you don't want to tell the world!

Nipper2
2nd Oct 2008, 18:34
Schofields Flying Club is a really good regular flying club.

If you want to have some fun book yourself in with Red Barron (http://redbaron.com.au). Don't be put of by the name or the slightly garish website. These guys taught me a few things which have subsiquently saved my neck....

Mark1234
2nd Oct 2008, 23:57
Couple of things:

1) You can do it by train, but get a car.. bankstown is a good bit out of the city.

2) Ask them if you can do harbour orbits and victor 1 (the coastal scenic route). Unlike the UK, it's quite possible to fly over the harbour, right next to the airport at 1500ft, then track down the coast - it's a fantastic trip (have done it). And I'm not bagging the uk, I'm only itenerant here. :)

skua
3rd Oct 2008, 13:04
Whirls,

another option is Camden. I hired from a guy called David in 2001. Sorry, forgot his name. Nice airfield and an Oz CAA office on site.

regards

Skua

helicopter-redeye
3rd Oct 2008, 14:02
W, you could also do some H flying from Bankstown. The helilanes on the harbour & north and south (V1) VFR lanes along the beaches are well worthwhile. :ok:

Ideal Line
4th Oct 2008, 09:35
G'day whirlybird,

Schofields are one of the better schools out at Bankstown. As mentioned above, you'd want to do Victor 1 with harbour orbits which will take you right past the opera house and harbour bridge. You've also got the blue mountains to the west of Sydney which are really nice.

Also, there are heli scenic flights which operate out of Sydney Airport and also float aircraft which operate out of Rose Bay.

You might want to post in the Dunnunda & Godzone (http://www.pprune.org/dunnunda-godzone-24/) forums if you need more info.

nibbio86
4th Oct 2008, 11:42
2) Ask them if you can do harbour orbits and victor 1 (the coastal scenic route). Unlike the UK, it's quite possible to fly over the harbour, right next to the airport at 1500ft, then track down the coast - it's a fantastic trip (have done it). And I'm not bagging the uk, I'm only itenerant here. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Actually, when i flew the V1 (5/6 months ago) it was below 500ft. It was great, deifnetly worth it.

Trinity 09L
4th Oct 2008, 15:59
Easter 2005 I used Camden flying school/club - very relaxed - good - newish 172 - available, in 1 hr 45 went north to the coast over Hornby, then down the coast, down to 500' (unable to go to the bridge/harbour), inbound, around the Warra wotsit? dam then back to Camden, using the Victor 1 route, with an instructor. I reckon the airfield is less busy than Bankstown, so more enjoyable. Enjoy:ok:

Ideal Line
4th Oct 2008, 16:58
Camden is alright, the only problem with Camden is that it is a massive pain in the arse to get too.

Whirlybird
4th Oct 2008, 17:50
Thanks people.

Sounds like I picked the right choice. Red Barron sounds like fun, but (a) they're expensive, and this Oz trip is costing me a small fortune anyway, and (b) I get airsick even in steep turns, never mind aeros. :{ I don't want heli trips since I'm a helicopter instructor anyway, and I can't afford to pay to fly helis any more, and I need the f/w hours if I'm to keep my PPL(A). And Camden did indeed sound like a pain to get to. This isn't a flying holiday, just a bit of flying on a 'normal' holiday, so this Victor 1 route etc sounds perfect.

I posted because I just wanted to make sure Schofields were OK; I'd simply pickd four flying school/clubs more or less at random off the web.

But all advice and suggestions welcome, so keep 'em coming.

The other thing I might do is a balloon flight in Cairns. Any advice on that?

Tinstaafl
5th Oct 2008, 03:57
Hi Whirly,

Getting to YSBK is do-able by public transport. There's a number of trains to Bankstown (er....the town of, that is, not the airport of...). There's a bus stop on one side of the train station (forget which side) with buses that will take you right past the main gates of the airport on Marion St.

Some schools aren't on that side of the field however so you can either walk around the perimeter road or try for a bus route that passes the opposite corner of the field. That would be along Milperra Rd and you'd need to alight at or near the intersection of Milperra Rd & Henry Lawson Drive.

Alternatively there's heaps of taxies at the train station. Takes about 5 or 10 mins & should cost around A$10-$15.

Definitely try for a whiz over the harbour bridge/opera house. Victor 1 @ 500' past Sydney International can be fun too. If you like more rugged terrain then west to the Blue Mountains is nice.

Trinity 09L
5th Oct 2008, 10:41
"Camden is alright, the only problem with Camden is that it is a massive pain in the arse to get too.":rolleyes:;)

and so is OZ, but well worth when you get to both :p

I was staying at Springwood - Blue Mountains. Not many PFL places there.

Is Camden part of the outback :confused: !!

Rishy
5th Oct 2008, 20:39
Great post Whirls, me and the trouble are going to Sydney next month and I was going ask some similar questions :ok:

Would you do me a favour? Let me know how you get on with Schofields. From the replies it sounds like they're a good one to go with.

Enjoy Oz!

Tim

Mark1234
5th Oct 2008, 22:33
I've also been very happy with Pacific Flight Services (ex Rod-Crane) at bankstown. No affiliation, just borrowed their aeroplanes on occasion. I haven't flown with Schofields.

If you go to this address:
Airservices Australia - Flying Guides & Publications - Visual Guides - Flying Around (http://www.airservices.gov.au/pilotcentre/training/flyingaround/default.asp)

and launch the thingy, you can have a look at the chart. 1500 round the harbour, then not above 500ft down the coast.

bsmasher
5th Oct 2008, 23:05
A Schofields regular here. I've been flying with them since I moved over here in 2000.
Harbour bridge and Victor 1 with a camera is a must ,about 70-80 mins in typical single.
Getting over Harbour can be a bit of a lottery depending on what runways YSSY is using and the individual controller working the sector.

D.

Sultan Ismail
6th Oct 2008, 04:11
Hi Whirls
you'll enjoy the Harbour and Opera House, here are my pics from a couple of years ago. Everything the guys have said about the low level routes is spot on.
My flight was from Kingsford Smith, the main airport, and you probably recognise the steed.
One question, having offered you a 3 hour slot and knowing you are from Blighty, how come they have not offered transportation to the airport?
http://www.highveldresource.com/bridge.jpg

http://www.highveldresource.com/opera.jpg

i.dingbat
6th Oct 2008, 13:19
Whirls

Curtis Aviation at Camden will do Victor 1. They have an interesting fleet of aircraft (I'm learning on Citabrias and Warriors) and Camden is a lovely, quiet airfield, an hour's drive from the centre of Sydney.

I've heard good things about Schofields Flying Club too.

I bought the wife a hot air balloon flight in the Atherton Tablelands (behind Cairns) for her birthday in 1991. It was absolutely brilliant. It was an early start (there was ice on the river) but well worth it. Such a magical feeling lifting over the treetops. I can't at this stage remember the company's name.

BTW, you can also do balloon rides out of Camden.

Enjoy your trip. I came out from Blighty 21 years ago and have never (or rarely) looked back.

Dingbat