PDA

View Full Version : AVmap EKP-IV Map Database questions – Need help.

GlennHolstad
2nd Oct 2008, 08:12
Hi :)
I Just bout a new EKP-IV from US and with Jeppesen Amerikas database preinstalled. I have a 512MB CF card in my device...
My question is:
My device is an US device with US database.:ugh:
I want to use my device in Europe, What do I need to do to make this happen? Can I use/patch my existing CF card to Europe data, and How?
I see on the AVmap’s homepage that I can buy a new CF card with European map data. This cost a lot of money, which I don’t have. I want to use my existing CF card rather than waist money on a new CF card… How do I do it, and witch maps does I need?
I an sorry for my bad English, I am Norwegian :ok:
If anyone could please help me I would be very greatful..

Regards
Glenn Holstad

Sallyann1234
2nd Oct 2008, 17:12
Glenn,
I think you will find that the maps are only available on the CF card because they are 'locked' to that card to stop people making unlicensed copies of the maps.
Most of the cost is for the map licence rather than the CF card hardware.
This is not what you want to hear, but it would probably have been better to buy the unit with the European maps.

IO540
2nd Oct 2008, 17:54
I looked into this, and discovered their USA v. European map pricing scam.

I believe there is a software product called Winhex which might help, but you need to find a UK owner of the GPS too.

LH2
2nd Oct 2008, 18:05
I looked into this, and discovered their USA v. European map pricing scam.

I haven't the faintest about the product you chaps are talking about, but as regards the quote above, more than a "scam" as such by the company selling this products, it likely is related to the respective licensing costs for US and European data. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the U.S. charts were freely or very cheaply available in electronic version. As for the EU counterpart.... :ugh:

Just speculation on my part, but I bet for once I'm not too far wrong.

Justiciar
2nd Oct 2008, 19:33
I believe there is a software product called Winhex which might help

Using anything like that to break a software lock is of course illegal and in the UK a criminal offence!!

The new AvMap European database is £100 + vat in the UK (just updated my GPS).

IO540
2nd Oct 2008, 19:43
LH2 - you may be right. However, are we talking about the basemap, or the Jeppesen database. The former costs "nothing" especially as Avmap is owned by CMAP who make the maps. The latter costs a lot more than nothing, but I don't think the OP is talking about that since this comes with any GPS database update anyway.

I was quoted Euro 400 (2 years ago?) for converting the basemap of a US unit to a European unit.

However I must admit that avmap.it was so poor at communication that getting answers was like pulling teeth. A shame as this is IMHO the best aviation GPS on the market.

dublinpilot
2nd Oct 2008, 21:50
The latter costs a lot more than nothing,

Not quite true there. The USA database is available free from the US authorities. European databases have to either be maintained inhouse, or purchased.

So there is a significant cost difference between European models and US models.

dp

PH-UKU
2nd Oct 2008, 22:30
My advice ?

Get rid of it at once - send it back to USA and get a refund.

I had one for 18 months - well in truth I had 3 separate units that all went u/s on me - evwntually I demanded my money back and bought a Lowrance 2000c (which was also £500 cheaper!!).

Best decision I made.

Avmap customer support is total $hite - based in Italy - they just ignore any customer requests.

Database is very suspect - spot height readouts for peaks in Scotland are up to 1000ft out (sometimes more).

I use it for flying around in a floatplane and handily, the lochs/lakes that are less than 1000m are not on it - which is my usual cutoff for comnfortable operations :)

Sorry if this is a downer, but I would not recommend them at all - not worth the effort.

IO540
3rd Oct 2008, 07:39
spot height readouts for peaks in Scotland are up to 1000ft outThis is a standard feature of the Jeppesen terrain data. You find this in Flitestar (errors of a few thousand feet are common among mountanious terrain - email me for an article describing this), in MFDs like the KMD550 which use Jepp terrain data, etc.

The Garmins (496, and panel mounts with the TAWS option) use space shuttle radar derived terrain data which is much more accurate.

DP - I agree; what I was getting at is that the basemap is more or less free for anywhere, but while the Euro v. USA aviation database selling price varies (much cheaper in the USA due to local competition there) this should be covered by the normal update of the unit.

GlennHolstad
3rd Oct 2008, 08:31
Does anyone know where i can buy the CF Card Europe + Africas for EKP-IV, for a good price..

Thanx.

Glenn

bambuko
7th Oct 2008, 23:12
well ... http://www.avmap.it (http://www.avmap.it/) quotes €600 (vat included) for CF card Europe + Africa for EKP IV
and update for existing CF is €48 (vat included), but:
WARNING : This update can be used only if loaded into an original branded AvMap card, preloaded with Europe+Africa Maps
I am happy with my EKP IV (the only problem with "dodgy knob" has been handled very well and for free :D) but contacting Avmap can be a bit frustrating :ugh:

Chris

IO540
8th Oct 2008, 11:54
A few years ago, when I was looking at the Avmap EKP IV, I found a well organised distribution and support network in the USA. I even got talking to the man who set it up.

It appears that Avmap (or CMAP) put a lot of effort into this, while basically dropping Europe and its avionics resellers in the ****.

No wonder they want to stop people buying them in the USA...